PDA

View Full Version : Is this homebrewed feat overpowered?

Blas_de_Lezo
2018-01-05, 06:02 PM
For campaign needs I need to introduce it into my game. Do you think it's overpowered?

NOBLE EDUCATION
Prerrequisite: Noble Background

You gain proficiency with breastplate, rapier and 1 skill related to Int or Cha.

Knaight
2018-01-05, 06:12 PM
It looks pretty reasonable to me.

Eric Diaz
2018-01-05, 06:14 PM
Feels a bit lackluster IMO.

Naanomi
2018-01-05, 06:17 PM
I mean... it is the better part of two feat for the cost of one if you are building to utilize it; but ignoring the other options it replaces it isn’t too strong on its own to me

DarthPenance
2018-01-05, 06:18 PM
Yeah, seems pretty weak for a feat, breastplate and rapier proficiency are adquired easily, as well as a skill related to INT or CHA. I'd make it do something like expertise or some other bonus when using something that you only get from being a noble.

nickl_2000
2018-01-05, 06:41 PM
Yeah, seems pretty weak for a feat, breastplate and rapier proficiency are adquired easily, as well as a skill related to INT or CHA. I'd make it do something like expertise or some other bonus when using something that you only get from being a noble.

Expertise in history would be very fitting for a noble education

bid
2018-01-05, 06:48 PM
For campaign needs I need to introduce it into my game. Do you think it's overpowered?

NOBLE EDUCATION

You gain proficiency with breastplate, rapier and 1 skill related to Int or Cha.
No shield makes it ok. The prerequisite is unnecessary though.

Citan
2018-01-05, 06:55 PM

NOBLE EDUCATION

Hi!
Honestly it's more of the level of "background benefits" than "feat benefits".

I'd really suggest strongly that you buff it with either one of the following.
1. "In addition, you learn the spell Compelled Duel, you can cast it once per short rest."
2. "In addition, once per short rest, when you make a melee weapon attack with a finesse weapon, you can use a bonus action to make a taunt or feint.
3. "You know all the history and politics of your country. Whenever you try a Persuasion check against someone of power that is noble by blood or alliance, you make it with advantage."

TAUNT
Make a Charisma (Deception) check contested by an opponent's Wisdom check. On a success, on its next turn, if the creature moves away from you willingly or makes an attack against another creature, you can use your reaction to make a melee weapon at it with advantage.

FEINT
Make a Dexterity (Sleight of Hand) or an Intelligence check (your choice), constest by an opponent's Wisdom (Insight) check. On a success, the next time you use your action to make melee weapon attacks against this creature, those are made with advantage.

(Honestly these two tactics, or at least something very similar, should be in the base game imo).

Blas_de_Lezo
2018-01-05, 07:02 PM
Thanks for the support!

My initial concern was that it could be overpowered. Of course I was not thinking of OP rogues or fighters taking it, but OP wizards and sorcerers... I mean, good armor, a very reliable weapon AND an useful extra skill for an arcane caster seems a very good deal to me.

The prerrequisite is unnecesary as some of you noticed, no prob in removing it. But it's more difficult to me thinking of it as an underpowered feat, I don't know why, and if it is indeed, giving away Expertise would balance it (I tend to see Expertise as rogue's and bard exclusive abilities). Anyway, I'm open to improvements to my feat.

nickl_2000
2018-01-05, 07:05 PM
Thanks for the support!

My initial concern was that it could be overpowered. Of course I was not thinking of OP rogues or fighters taking it, but OP wizards and sorcerers... I mean, good armor, a very reliable weapon AND an useful extra skill for an arcane caster seems a very good deal to me.

The prerrequisite is unnecesary as some of you noticed, no prob in removing it. But it's more difficult to me thinking of it as an underpowered feat, I don't know why, and if it is indeed, giving away Expertise would balance it (I tend to see Expertise as rogue's and bard exclusive abilities). Anyway, I'm open to improvements to my feat.

My struggle is that it's so specific. You get this one thing and that one thing. It really feels like someone saying, I really want to use these two items, but don't want to invest in multiclassing or multiple feats to do it so I'm making up a feat that fits the character I want to build exactly.

Let me add onto this. Is a DM wanted to make this, it seems perfectly fine, but if applaud came to me and asked to make it for their character I would probably say no food the reason above, or it would at least depends on the character they were making

ZZTRaider
2018-01-05, 07:18 PM
If you're worried about Wizards and Sorcerers using it to pick up Breastplates, you could add a prerequisite of Light Armor Proficiency. Notably, since your feat does not give full medium armor proficiency, it does not let someone qualify for Medium Armor Mastery; I think that's a good thing for keeping it from getting too crazy.

I don't think granting Rapier proficiency is going to be overly powerful for anyone in particular, so the real strength of this feat is that it gives a variety of moderately useful benefits.

I'd suggest comparing it to the Prodigy feat in Xanathar's (note that the feat was changed a bit since the UA printing), as it is also based on the idea of giving a number of small but useful boons.

I might consider letting character already proficient with the rapier and/or breastplate take tool proficiencies or languages, instead.

I'll agree that you should remove the background requirement; not every character with noble heritage that would make sense to take this feat is going to be best served by the Noble background. For example, I've got a character who is of noble birth, but resents that fact, runs from it, and would be particularly loathsome to use his family name to gain an audience with anyone. He's a Charlatan, instead, because it better fits his character.

Vaz
2018-01-05, 07:54 PM
It's never overpowered unless it breaks the campaign, or makes other players feel their character is less useful.

I wouldn't even hesitate in giving that to someone, even without a feat, although I'd question why Breastplate. Is there something about nobles being skilled with wearing 20lbs of leather and metal and no other?

Personally, Rapier and bonus Skill or tool Proficiency is fine as additional benefit of specific background, more tailored to that specific noble of that specific fanily/city/bloodline/race, but also allow that specific person to not need Light Armour Prof if they wish to take Med Armour Prof.

Knaight
2018-01-05, 08:07 PM
I wouldn't even hesitate in giving that to someone, even without a feat, although I'd question why Breastplate. Is there something about nobles being skilled with wearing 20lbs of leather and metal and no other?

I figure it's along the lines of elven bow/sword proficiencies or dwarven axe proficiencies*. Part of the standard cultural knowledge that just comes with spending years growing up in that culture is how to handle specific weapons, and in the case of the nobility it's a breastplate and rapier.

It would also likely work well as something other than a feat. This almost calls for a subrace like mechanic.

*Or U.S. American firearm proficiencies, where people who have no actual reason to know how to use a gun in the context of professions they've held are still pretty likely to know how to because of the culture.

Cealocanth
2018-01-05, 08:12 PM
It's never overpowered unless it breaks the campaign, or makes other players feel their character is less useful.

Personally, Rapier and bonus Skill or tool Proficiency is fine as additional benefit of specific background, more tailored to that specific noble of that specific fanily/city/bloodline/race, but also allow that specific person to not need Light Armour Prof if they wish to take Med Armour Prof.

I think they're going for a late period (post-guns) flavor when armor was pretty much nothing but padded clothes, a helm, and a breastplate. You know, conquistador style.

Blas_de_Lezo
2018-01-06, 04:32 AM
I think they're going for a late period (post-guns) flavor when armor was pretty much nothing but padded clothes, a helm, and a breastplate. You know, conquistador style.

Close! I need a renaissance style sorcerer NPC, skilled in words and sword, but I don't want to multiclass her to get that proficiencies. I don't want neither to just add some proficiencies, so my players if they wish, they can choose the same feat.

Spore
2018-01-06, 04:55 AM
Modify the armor proficiency. It is superfluous for one kind of users and extremly overpowered for the other.

NOBLE EDUCATION
Choose proficiency or expertise in one of the following skill categories:
You gain proficiency in Persuasion. If you are proficient from another source, you gain expertise with it.
You gain proficiency in History. If you are proficient from another source, you gain expertise with it.

Choose proficiency in one of the following weapon categories:
Archery: Longbow and Heavy Crossbow
Dueling: Rapier and Long Sword
Cavalier: Lance and Flail

Gain light armor proficiency. If you are already proficient with light armor, you gain one medium armor proficiency of your choice (e.g. Breastplate)

I put emphasis on Diplomacy and Heraldry and similar with the skills. With the weapons, you can pick from a pool to choose from. Standard would be Dueling, but a Noble rogue could pick Lance and Flail and Breastplate and somewhat look knightly. Archery is merely for entertainment (and for ranged combat ingame obviously). Armor prof was modified to disallow wizards to instantly jump to medium armor.

Talamare
2018-01-06, 07:53 AM
It feels like it would basically only be useful for Sorcerer and Wizards.

Vaz
2018-01-06, 09:36 AM
Close! I need a renaissance style sorcerer NPC, skilled in words and sword, but I don't want to multiclass her to get that proficiencies. I don't want neither to just add some proficiencies, so my players if they wish, they can choose the same feat.

I don't see what's so bad with giving the players the ability to also gain the benefits of 3 additional specific proficiences if they put effort into practising them in game.