PDA

View Full Version : Multi school E Knight spell choices?

Stoorn
2018-01-05, 06:25 PM
Hi all!

I'm playing a level 8 Eldritch knight in a party of four. The other PCs are Wizard, Rogue and Ranger. This is my second RPG campaign ever (newbie). My Eldritch knight is a STR build:

STR 20 (+5)
DEX 11 (0)
CON 16 (+3)
INT 14 (+2)
WIS 9 (-1)
CHA 14 (+2)
and a brutal +13 bonus to intimidation :-)

Primary weapon is a +1/+1 great sword (great weapon fighting) and secondary is a standard javelin.

Our DM lets me choose any spells as long as they are in the PHB (i.e. not restricted to any school of magic). Are there any spells that I just can't miss to have??

My chararacter has the following items (table rules says we can have six attuned items):
Ring of evasion (dex saves)
Ring of cold resistance
Goggles of the night (dark vision)
Ring of protection (+1 AC and +1 on saving throws)
Jewel of forced reality (home brewed true sight and charm properties)

Present spells are
2 Enhance ability
2 Misty step
1 Herosim
1 Shield
1 Protection from evil and good
1 Feather fall
0 Message
0 Minor illusion

I hope to get these items within next two or three sessions:
Boots of speed (60 ft movement)
Frost brand (+1d6 cold damage greatsword), fire resistance
Mariner's armor or Mithral armor (float or no disadvantage on stealth checks)
Elixir of health (cure disease and poisoned condition)
Potion of heroism (+1d4 to attack rolls for 1 hour)

Apart from the exceptions above we play the basic rules of the PHB, e.g. no feats, no green flame blade. The DM has played several editions of DnD before and it is his second campaign in 5e.

I think my EK is a bit weak on Wis saves and ranged attacks. Also if he faces a NPC with super AC (like 25 or higher) there is little chance to do any damage with the sword.

So, again, are there any obvious spells from the PHB that I need? Our campaign is a bit similar to Hoard of the dragon queen. (I DO NOT WANT ANY SPOILERS FROM OTHER CMPAIGNS PLEASE!).

lunaticfringe
2018-01-05, 08:57 PM
How often are you fighting +25ac at lvl 8? Also that's kinda the point of it.

So Blur is fairly common on EKs. You have a Bard/Pally spell so if we are talking Any List maybe look into:

Guidance
Armor of Agathys
Hex/Hunter's Mark
Pass without Trace
Spiritual Weapon
Warding Bond

Magic Missile is Auto Hit, might help your Ranged game.

Stoorn
2018-01-06, 03:44 PM
How often are you fighting +25ac at lvl 8? Also that's kinda the point of it.

So Blur is fairly common on EKs. You have a Bard/Pally spell so if we are talking Any List maybe look into:

Guidance
Armor of Agathys
Hex/Hunter's Mark
Pass without Trace
Spiritual Weapon
Warding Bond

Magic Missile is Auto Hit, might help your Ranged game.

Thanks. Our ranger uses pass without trace and that is a great spell because my EK is really bad at stealth checks!

Hex and sacred flame seems to be a nice combo helping the ranged attacks too. Hex would give disadvantage to dex saves and then sacred flame takes a dex save :) In that way I can save most of my level 1 spell slots for the shield spell.

MrStabby
2018-01-06, 08:14 PM
Hex and sacred flame seems to be a nice combo helping the ranged attacks too. Hex would give disadvantage to dex saves and then sacred flame takes a dex save :) In that way I can save most of my level 1 spell slots for the shield spell.

No. It works on ability checks.

Still, good for a spell. By level 11 when you can be getting 4 attacks per round it can stack a lot of extra damage onto an enemy for a level 1, bonus action spell. Personally I think Divine favour might be a little better - average of 1 damage per turn less, no rider but on the plus side only 1 bonus action to keep going.

You want misty step and shield - keep them. A wall spell, force cage or anything like that takes you out of the fight.

Healing word is pretty good for party resilience. You can bring people back into the fight with a bonus action.

Bless is an awesome level 1 spell (and if you are woried about AC25 bad guys this will help a little)

Spirit guardians as you level up will be good - you wan't to be stuck in to close combat. Sure you won't be forcing tough saves but the mobility aspect is awesome.

Fly rocks for a third level spell - especially for casters not able for focus on spell attacks.

Consider rituals as well if your party is missing them. For an EK there are not that many spell slots so getting good stuff out of spells known is quite rewarding.

Arelai
2018-01-07, 04:10 AM
Absorb elements -instead of heroism. Lets you half elemental damage, and do extra elemental damage on your next attack

MrStabby
2018-01-07, 07:17 AM
Heat metal is surely a must.

Fairy fire is also a great spell.

I was mulling over counterspell and dispel magic. Both good spells but with some reliance on casting stat. I would settle for find steed or aura of vitality instead.

Specter
2018-01-07, 12:30 PM
Absorb Elements is a must for survivability, but if you're PHB-only you can't get it.

You would like either Mirror Image or Blur, to be even more annoying to your enemies. When Eldritch Strike kicks in, Blindness and Hold Person are good bets.

Stoorn
2018-01-08, 12:55 PM
Absorb elements -instead of heroism. Lets you half elemental damage, and do extra elemental damage on your next attack

Agree! Though we can only use spells from PHB.

Stoorn
2018-01-08, 01:19 PM
Absorb Elements is a must for survivability, but if you're PHB-only you can't get it.

You would like either Mirror Image or Blur, to be even more annoying to your enemies. When Eldritch Strike kicks in, Blindness and Hold Person are good bets.

MI and Blur seems good. Tho I'm trying to boost AC with armor and ring/cloak and I have the shield spell too so I will probably go with Blindness and Hold Person.

Stoorn
2018-01-08, 01:36 PM
No. It works on ability checks.

Still, good for a spell. By level 11 when you can be getting 4 attacks per round it can stack a lot of extra damage onto an enemy for a level 1, bonus action spell. Personally I think Divine favour might be a little better - average of 1 damage per turn less, no rider but on the plus side only 1 bonus action to keep going.

You want misty step and shield - keep them. A wall spell, force cage or anything like that takes you out of the fight.

Healing word is pretty good for party resilience. You can bring people back into the fight with a bonus action.

Bless is an awesome level 1 spell (and if you are woried about AC25 bad guys this will help a little)

Spirit guardians as you level up will be good - you wan't to be stuck in to close combat. Sure you won't be forcing tough saves but the mobility aspect is awesome.

Fly rocks for a third level spell - especially for casters not able for focus on spell attacks.

Consider rituals as well if your party is missing them. For an EK there are not that many spell slots so getting good stuff out of spells known is quite rewarding.

Lot's of good stuff there!

So Spirit guardians is basically a mobile AOE?

Fly rocks. What is that?

Stoorn
2018-01-08, 01:39 PM
Enhance ability seemed to be a good spell but I actually never used it so far.

MrStabby
2018-01-08, 01:52 PM
Lot's of good stuff there!

So Spirit guardians is basically a mobile AOE?

Fly rocks. What is that?

The spell Fly - is very good for a fighter. 60ft movement, avoid obstacles, jump down the throat of the most high profile target, stop others evading you. Also you can go full Crouching Tiger.

But yeah - spirit guardians is a mobile AoE with additional slowing down effect. If you like pushing people around and knocking prone then spirit guardians is hilarious.

Stoorn
2018-01-08, 03:09 PM
The spell Fly - is very good for a fighter. 60ft movement, avoid obstacles, jump down the throat of the most high profile target, stop others evading you. Also you can go full Crouching Tiger.

Oh, fly. I looked for "fly rocks" :redface: Yes fly is definitely on the wish list -unless I have bought a pair of winged boots until then.

But yeah - spirit guardians is a mobile AoE with additional slowing down effect. If you like pushing people around and knocking prone then spirit guardians is hilarious.

Noob here, remember :redface: What is spirit guardians used for when nocking enemies prone? I definitely want some hilarious/role playing abilities too. That's why I got minor illusion from the start. Warning: spoiler on hoard of the dragon queen here In the final battle we ended up helpless in the vampire's tower and the giant was below demanding us to show ourselves. At that point my EK tried to make an audio illusion to sound like the vampire. "Noooo! We'll die if we show ourselves in the sunlight. Piss off!" DM asked for a roll, team mate chipped in a golden point of inspiration (home brew) and I rolled a double 20. The giant apologized for disturbing and shooed away the other creatures that had gathered below :-)

MrStabby
2018-01-08, 03:28 PM
Oh, fly. I looked for "fly rocks" :redface: Yes fly is definitely on the wish list -unless I have bought a pair of winged boots until then.

Noob here, remember :redface: What is spirit guardians used for when nocking enemies prone? I definitely want some hilarious/role playing abilities too. That's why I got minor illusion from the start. Warning: spoiler on hoard of the dragon queen here In the final battle we ended up helpless in the vampire's tower and the giant was below demanding us to show ourselves. At that point my EK tried to make an audio illusion to sound like the vampire. "Noooo! We'll die if we show ourselves in the sunlight. Piss off!" DM asked for a roll, team mate chipped in a golden point of inspiration (home brew) and I rolled a double 20. The giant apologized for disturbing and shooed away the other creatures that had gathered below :-)

Spirit guardians with shove is a great defensive ability vs a lot of creatures. To stand up takes half your movement. To close from the edge of the spirit guardians... but movement is double cost within the radius. This means with knocking prone and careful positioning you can pretty much keep most people away from the entire party. Oh yes, and in case someone goes for you instead you have plate mail ans the shield spell.

Stoorn
2018-01-08, 05:02 PM
Spirit guardians with shove is a great defensive ability vs a lot of creatures. To stand up takes half your movement. To close from the edge of the spirit guardians... but movement is double cost within the radius. This means with knocking prone and careful positioning you can pretty much keep most people away from the entire party. Oh yes, and in case someone goes for you instead you have plate mail ans the shield spell.

I see! That must go well together with the shield master feat.