PDA

View Full Version : Guybrush Treepwood build (Vicious Mockery + War Magic)

Zephirus
2018-01-05, 07:52 PM
The first thing that came to my head when I first read about the Vicious Mockery cantrip was Insult Swordfighting, like in Monkey Island duels ("You fight like a dairy farmer" "How appropriate. You fight like a cow" The swordmaster version of this is waay more offensive).

Then I read the cantrip description. a few d4s of psychic damage on a Wis save failure and disavantage on attacks in the next round. That sounds a lot like what would happen in a SoMI duel (you land the insult and get the upper hand in combat). But the spell takes a normal action rather than a bonus action for this to work.

Later, I keep reading and found the War Magic class feature for the Eldritch Knight (you cast a cantrip and as a bonus action make an attack) This way I could captalize on the spell. Insult and attack in the same round. If you can reliably hit with the cantrip (and the Eldritch Strike class feature on lvl10 will ensure that you will), the enemy will have a hard time hitting you. Almost like if you had an +3 armor.

Thou with human variant you can get 2 bard's cantrips and one lvl1 spell at level one with magic initiate feat, the casting stat for Vicious Mockery will be CHA, while casting stat for Eldrich Knight is INT, and you will get the combo online on lvl 7.

One can also go Valor Bard. But this way you will get the habilities online by lvl 14 (that is 7 lvls more than eldritch knight).

Sorcerer might do the trick. You can use quicken metamagic to throw VM as a bonus action and then attack with your rapier. Later, when you have lvl3 slots you can cast haste in the start of the battle and do the Guybrush Routine. But still you will need to invest in dexterity and charisma, and Sorcerer sucks on front line.

But one can also dip in Warlock and get the Hexblade pact for a nice Rapier that uses Cha instead of Dex and get some nifty Warlock spell slots to cast haste after a short rest. But this will still be more of a spellcaster than a frontline dashing fighter.

How can I play Guybrush in 5e?

Grod_The_Giant
2018-01-05, 08:05 PM
You can play an Eldritch Knight who dumps Int and pumps Cha just fine-- you're usually better off sticking with defensive buffs than offensive blasts anyway.

Stoorn
2018-01-05, 08:32 PM
Sorry I can’t give any advice but just want to say it’s a good idea! Monkey island is among the best games I played and the insult sword fight is hilarious.

gloryblaze
2018-01-05, 09:08 PM
I think you can do something like Vuman Eldritch Knight with a Cha focus (to make VM work, maybe 8/16/14/8/12/16 to start with point buy). Just dump Int and take spells that don't require saves or attacks, like Shield and Haste.

Zephirus
2018-01-06, 06:13 AM
I think you can do something like Vuman Eldritch Knight with a Cha focus (to make VM work, maybe 8/16/14/8/12/16 to start with point buy). Just dump Int and take spells that don't require saves or attacks, like Shield and Haste.

Dumping Int and Wis and maxing Dex and Cha is in line with Guybrush personality i guess. 14 Con and 12 Str will do.

As for the spells, I could take Find Familiar for a parrot (using the raven stats... Or even better, a raven that thinks he is a parrot), Haste to have some kind of multiattack with the insult, mage armor (I plan to go unarmored), Mariner style (swim speed and climb speed plus bonus to AC).

I will take pirate background just for kicks.

Thank you

gloryblaze
2018-01-06, 10:52 AM
Dumping Int and Wis and maxing Dex and Cha is in line with Guybrush personality i guess. 14 Con and 12 Str will do.

As for the spells, I could take Find Familiar for a parrot (using the raven stats... Or even better, a raven that thinks he is a parrot), Haste to have some kind of multiattack with the insult, mage armor (I plan to go unarmored), Mariner style (swim speed and climb speed plus bonus to AC).

I will take pirate background just for kicks.

Thank you

No problem - sounds like a fun character, good luck!

DarkKnightJin
2018-01-06, 11:23 AM
I might steal some of this for a Tiefling Paladin I had planned.. Get VM from SCAG's Devil's Tongue set. And have fun with it.

Though EK would be 'best' to still get an attack in thr same turn as well..

Khrysaes
2018-01-06, 11:43 AM
I might steal some of this for a Tiefling Paladin I had planned.. Get VM from SCAG's Devil's Tongue set. And have fun with it.

Though EK would be 'best' to still get an attack in thr same turn as well..

Heh.. I like the tiefling method of gaining VM.

something that may be interesting, would be a Devil's Tongue Tiefling, to get VM. Hexbalde 1+, EK 7+, Swashbuckler 3 +,

You would be a heavily charisma focused character that throws disses and moves quick.

Another potential thing for the OP, if they gain VM via tiefling, would be, since you are already using UA material, consider fiendish options. Select a Fiend that has a stat block you like, and replace the legacy with Devil's tongue as SCAG.

nickl_2000
2018-01-06, 12:00 PM
Thanks for the idea on this. For fun I made a fencer fighter subclass that uses some of the thoughts you had. Still working on balance, but it may fit your needs.

http://homebrewery.naturalcrit.com/share/HJPcrVla7z

PeteNutButter
2018-01-06, 08:43 PM
Don’t forget the lore bard class ability Cutting Words is just adding insult to... insult. You could go a dex/cha based Eldritch Knight for 7-8 levels and then into lore bard from then on. Talking crap is no longer restricted to vicious mockery but can be done as a reaction.