PDA

View Full Version : Optimal 3.5 character sheet?

Theomniadept
2018-01-06, 03:30 AM
I've seen a lot of pre-made character sheets for 3.5 but I gotta ask - is there one that contains everything from 3.5? As in every skill from the basic SRD ones to the psionic ones to Martial Lore and any others I'm forgetting right now? Or with spell lists that have easy-to-read-at-a-glance info for all the little details like area, target, spell resistance, etc.? I ask because I've been looking for decent ones but I see the basic ones that have been around since forever and I assume since this game's so old someone somewhere must've finally optimized the basic character sheet so players don't need to look up a new one or mark theirs up to no end whenever making anything other than a core-only Fighter.

peacenlove
2018-01-06, 06:22 AM
If you have no problem using Excel, Hero Forge comes pretty darn close. Link is here: https://sites.google.com/site/heroforgeanew/

DarkSoul
2018-01-06, 09:51 AM
Try these out (https://www.dyslexic-charactersheets.com/). I was pretty impressed with them.

Seerow
2018-01-06, 11:31 AM
I've found my character sheet needs vary from character to character, to the point I am highly dubious of any 'universal' character sheet.

Personally I still prefer hand making each one, but at the very least if I was looking for a premade I would look for one that has different layouts for different archtypes, preferable intermixable.

DrMotives
2018-01-06, 11:47 AM
Universal ones seem like a bad idea. If I had a theurge type, I'd want multiple blocks to record spellcasting for the different classes. For a single class caster, I certainly wouldn't. A non-caster could happily be recorded on a sheet without any space for spells at all. Martial initators, psionic characters, and invocation users all will want sheets tailored more to their needs. So will a few other build concepts I'm sure.

rrwoods
2018-01-06, 02:06 PM
I like mine! (Link in signature.) That said, I’m very familiar with the layout and I suspect it takes getting used to.

I haven’t ever personally used it for spellcasting, but it does include the area you ask for. What it doesn’t include is the texts of any spells or feats or class features (however it does have every skill, I think).

jdizzlean
2018-01-06, 02:10 PM
i personally like the ones on myth-weavers. they may not be super complete w/ every conceivable option, but there's plenty of space to modify them, take out what you want, add what you want...

https://www.myth-weavers.com/sheet.html#id=1160404

ayvango
2018-01-06, 02:15 PM
I just use treesheet software and fill it manually with copy-pasted info. It looks like a tedious task, and is actually as looks. But filling character options manually helps you remember them. You would never has enough time to leisurely browse character features during fight.

NoAnonimo
2018-01-06, 10:10 PM
I've tried many of these ones and wasn't convinced, so I started my fully customizable advanced (?) character sheet.
Good thing, it autofill most of the things (AC sums, Abilities bonus for Initiative, ST, Atk and skills, ST sums and other things).
It also has fillable fields for most things, and come in a4 size and in a single PDF easy-to-fill easy-to-erase file.

Bad thing: It's not in english. It's in spanish. And currently on beta (status: finished the first page with autocalculations and some goodies).
Maybe, if you're ok with that, I can share it with you.

Theomniadept
2018-01-12, 01:57 AM
@DarkSoul: Those look extremely good, I just wish I could personally fiddle with them a bit. I wanted to run a sort-of modified 3.5 with the only change being Pathfinder's compressed skills (so players have Perception instead of Listen/Spot/Search, Open Lock becomes part of Disable Device, Gather Information becomes part of Diplomacy, etc.) but unfortunately I don't know how to edit those character sheets. Plus, like I said, they don't have all possible skills like Martial Lore and the Psionic skills.

@jdizzlean: That looks extremely similar to DnD Online Games character sheets, is it possible to be able to print those without jumping through hoops and hurdles? Then I could just make my skills look however I wanted them to and then print it out

@everyone else: Great suggestions (I'm a sucker for Excel auto-calculating spreadsheets) but at the end of the day I do need something paper, printable, that way if I'm the DM I don't have to worry about people adding/subtracting things they shouldn't and as a player if the DM wants to just take the sheet at the end of the session he can do so.

I suppose by 'universal' character sheet I mean something that can be used by all characters. Example: First page with all the need-to-know-now stuff like saves, AC, classes, skills, feats, etc. One page exclusively for items alongside a complete list of body parts for magic item use to know what's equipped where (and optimally some way to know what is where, like an easier way to track what items are in a Bag of Holding and their weight, if that BoH is in a Handy Haversack how much is in each pocket of the HH, etc. - worst case scenario you can print one sheet per storage item so one inventory for the BoH, one for the HH, etc.), one page entirely devoted to a familiar/animal companion, and one page entirely for spells (including all the stuff before like spell resistance, saves, area, target, school, etc.). That, in my mind, is 'universal' because a Druid can print out every page on the sheet, a Paladin non-spellcasting variant can easily skip on the Magic page, and a Barbarian can just print the two pages and be done with it.

weckar
2018-01-12, 08:04 AM
i personally like the ones on myth-weavers. they may not be super complete w/ every conceivable option, but there's plenty of space to modify them, take out what you want, add what you want...

https://www.myth-weavers.com/sheet.html#id=1160404

I didn't think you could modify the templates at all?

BassoonHero
2018-01-12, 09:38 AM
I second the recommendation of the Dyslexic Character Sheets (https://www.dyslexic-charactersheets.com/). I use the basic three-page version for all of my characters. There are other sheets out there, but none with the same level of polish and thoughtfulness.

Theomniadept
2018-01-13, 06:25 AM
Yeah I've kinda settled on the Dyslexic sheets, I was able to use a PDF editor to edit a generic sheet to have all the skills I want (a mix of Pathfinder consolidated skills and all the 3.5 ones like Martial Lore, Lucid Dreaming, Autohypnosis, etc.) and the different spell sheets for the different classes look extremely good. If I play a Wizard I can just print out a few of the Wizard-style spell sheets so I have an actual spell book on-hand. Thanks for the link, I bookmarked that for later use.

lbuttitta
2018-01-13, 08:06 AM
Try these out (https://www.dyslexic-charactersheets.com/). I was pretty impressed with them.
Seconded. I have been looking for a character sheet like this for a long time, and this is the closest to complete you'll ever get.