PDA

View Full Version : How to get Ranged Touch Attacks to key off of Strength?

SangoProduction
2018-01-06, 04:57 AM
As the title says. I have a massive 40 Strength guy, and he wants to try and be fancy with glowy sticks of doom, which are ranged touch attacks. How do I make that work?

Inevitability
2018-01-06, 07:03 AM
When you say 'glowy sticks of doom', I presume you're referring to casting spells rather than physically throwing staves?

Zaq
2018-01-06, 07:29 AM
The Brutal Throw feat makes thrown weapons key off STR. Splash weapons like alchemist’s fire are touch attacks, so that would be a STR-based RTA.

Not sure if there’s an easy way to get a preexisting RTA like most spells or Eldritch Blast or whatever to key off of STR. I think there might be something a Void Disciple can do, and you can look at spellvials from that one potion-based PrC from Magic of Eberron (either Alchemist Savant or Master Alchemist, but I always get those two mixed up) with the Brutal Throw trick.

SangoProduction
2018-01-06, 01:48 PM
When you say 'glowy sticks of doom', I presume you're referring to casting spells rather than physically throwing staves?

Yes, spells. lol. Wands too.

I mean, it's completely and utterly pointless, since the majority of pre-epic creatures (and even well in to epic) only need a total attack bonus of +5 to hit the majority of the time with touch attacks. But hey. Why not?

The Viscount
2018-01-06, 06:32 PM
This probably isn't ironclad, but if you take wandstrike you might use it in concert with bloodstorm blade to fling your wands at enemies to discharge them.

As for spells, you could use a spell storing weapon, bloodstorm blade, and emerald razor to discharge it at range as a melee touch attack, which would then default to using strength. For higher level spells, you could use Eldritch Theurge's Spellblast along with Hideous Blow, bloodstorm blade, and emerald razor to get area spells to affect a single target. I'm not 100% on the legality of this.

SangoProduction
2018-01-06, 09:48 PM
This probably isn't ironclad, but if you take wandstrike you might use it in concert with bloodstorm blade to fling your wands at enemies to discharge them.

As for spells, you could use a spell storing weapon, bloodstorm blade, and emerald razor to discharge it at range as a melee touch attack, which would then default to using strength. For higher level spells, you could use Eldritch Theurge's Spellblast along with Hideous Blow, bloodstorm blade, and emerald razor to get area spells to affect a single target. I'm not 100% on the legality of this.

Interesting.