PDA

View Full Version : Roleplaying Insult Swordfighter [Homebrewed Feat]

Zephirus
2018-01-06, 07:22 AM
Insult Swordfighter

"Not bad. You've got good form. Now I'm gonna let you in the true secret of swordfighting. Sword fighting is kinda like making love. It is not always what you do, but what you say. Any fool pirate can swing a sharp piece of metal around and hope to cut something... but the pros... ...they know just when to cut their opponet with an insult... ...one that catches 'em off guard" - Captain Smirk

You add Vicious Mockery Cantrip to the list of your known cantrips. You cast it using the spellcasting stat of one of the spellcasting class that you have levels in of your choice. If you have no spellcasting classes, you use Charisma instead.

In addition, whenever you cast Vicious Mockery against a target within melee range and it fails the save throw, as a bonus action you can make a melee attack against it.

Talamare
2018-01-06, 07:32 AM
I'm a Martial, I have no levels in "spellcasting class that you have levels in"

Also, this is literally Eldritch Knight Lv7 Class Feature

Zephirus
2018-01-06, 07:33 AM
I'm a Martial, I have no levels in "spellcasting class that you have levels in" Then you use Charisma.

Yes, the Lvl 7 Eldritch Knight feature, but that just works when you hit with the cantrip and just for one cantrip.
So I think I nerfed it enough to use with a Lvl1 character of any class.

Asmotherion
2018-01-06, 08:18 AM
It's not bad. Balanced ok imo, and all.

Still, if it's the character concept one wants to go for:

Swoshbuckler Rogue (and if you absolutelly want Vicius Mockery, Magic Initiate)
Bard (many build options)
Eldritch Knight Fighter with Magic Initiate

All of the above either single classed, or a multiclass combination of them can build this concept into something pretty strong.

ProsecutorGodot
2018-01-06, 08:33 AM
So I think I nerfed it enough to use with a Lvl1 character of any class.
I think you might have nerfed it enough to not be useful in general.

I wouldn't take it over Magic Initiate as a way to gain Vicious Mockery if I really wanted it and I wouldn't take it over PAM or GWM as an option to deal more damage. Martial Adept could give me more battlefield control than potentially granting disadvantage on an attack roll and also has the opportunity to deal more damage.

You could just take Magic Initiate on an EK, pick Vicious Mockery for the flavor you want and by level 7 you're still able to bonus action attack even if they make a save.

Zephirus
2018-01-06, 09:07 AM

I wouldn't take it over Magic Initiate as a way to gain Vicious Mockery if I really wanted it and I wouldn't take it over PAM or GWM as an option to deal more damage. Martial Adept could give me more battlefield control than potentially granting disadvantage on an attack roll and also has the opportunity to deal more damage.

You could just take Magic Initiate on an EK, pick Vicious Mockery for the flavor you want and by level 7 you're still able to bonus action attack even if they make a save.

Well, perhaps there are no OP reason to take this feat, but I think that there might be RP reasons. You don't wanto to wait until lvl 7 to start insult fencing, and you don't want to be saddled with EK spellcasting if you are optimizing charisma instead of intelligence. You will end up as a one trick poney.

Also MA will give you one Superiority Dice and three maneuvers. You spend it and that is done for until you take a short rest. With Insult Swordfighter you can basically make the big dumb Ogre freeze on his tracks with Yo Mamma jokes while you pin cushion him with your rapier, without usage limit.

Take Defensive Duelist and you are untoucheable vs said ogre Your AC will be Armor + Dex + Proficiency and he will attack at disavantage. Who said the rogue can not tank?

EdenIndustries
2018-01-06, 12:50 PM

This is actually why I like it. Personally speaking, I like homebrew options to add flavour, not power. This allows a player to fulfill a specific RP concept without crazy power creep.