PDA

View Full Version : OOTS #321 - The Discussion Thread

Pages : 1 [2]

RecklessFable
2006-06-09, 01:38 PM
English is riding. Western is sitting on a moving couch.

Western is also for multitasking. It is a style that is designed for roping, shooting, whatever.

English is for more finite control and looking pretty.

RecklessFable
2006-06-09, 01:42 PM
As for riding: I prefer English, and my wife (who is far more knowledgeable of such subjects than I) tells me that posting is easier on the horse than sitting the trot.

Posting is much easier on the manly bits. I rode a fair amount of dessage in my youth and posting came naturally at one point... I couldn't conceive of a fast trot without posting. Yikes.

GeekDaddy
2006-06-09, 02:10 PM
I'm wondering if Rich was actually playing the part of one of the horses and accidentally zapped himself back to Central Casting with punchline?

bluish_wolf
2006-06-09, 03:02 PM
English is riding. Western is sitting on a moving couch.

I thought Western was a style designed for using a lasso when riding.

CelestialStick
2006-06-09, 03:04 PM
Posting is much easier on the manly bits. I rode a fair amount of dessage in my youth and posting came naturally at one point... I couldn't conceive of a fast trot without posting. Yikes.

I find posting quite Easy. I just click on "Quote," type, and then click on "Post." ;)

Speaking of posting, isn't it about time for Rich to post strip 322? :D

bluish_wolf
2006-06-09, 03:16 PM
I find posting quite Easy. I just click on "Quote," type, and then click on "Post." ;)

Speaking of posting, isn't it about time for Rich to post strip 322? :D

He still has one or two days depending on wether he considers the week to start on Sunday or Monday.

CelestialStick
2006-06-09, 03:20 PM
He still has one or two days depending on wether he considers the week to start on Sunday or Monday.

Well he said that he'd do another one "Friday-ish" since he missed Monday, so you're right--it'll probably come out around Sunday or Monday. ;)
This thread has been unusually quiet for an OOTS strip thread. It needs more controversy to keep it going!

Rachel: You cheated on me!
Ross: We were on a break! ;)
(Just kidding.)

Damian
2006-06-09, 05:04 PM
Is it wrong that the thing that I find wrong about this strip is that they shouldn't "fly off" the horses if they suddenly cease to exist? I mean, Belkar's pretty far down already and he's pretty compact. I don't see how he could trip like that.

I can accept the fact that they're riding horses who can be undone with a simple thought (sort of like quantum mechanics where observing the event changes the outcome except with, yah know, horses). I can accept the fact that they're in a quasi-medieval magical setting. I can even accept the fact that a little guy can seriously ride around on a dog and not be made fun of mercilessly.

And yet I can't accept that the same little guy would trip when his dog retroactively vanishes.

CelestialStick
2006-06-09, 05:18 PM
Is it wrong that the thing that I find wrong about this strip is that they shouldn't "fly off" the horses if they suddenly cease to exist? I mean, Belkar's pretty far down already and he's pretty compact. I don't see how he could trip like that.

I can accept the fact that they're riding horses who can be undone with a simple thought (sort of like quantum mechanics where observing the event changes the outcome except with, yah know, horses). I can accept the fact that they're in a quasi-medieval magical setting. I can even accept the fact that a little guy can seriously ride around on a dog and not be made fun of mercilessly.

And yet I can't accept that the same little guy would trip when his dog retroactively vanishes.
I have some meds that will help with that. ;)

Mal_the_Mad
2006-06-09, 05:55 PM
I thought Western was a style designed for using a lasso when riding.
Western Style riding originated in the Wild West (Western Americas), as a working style for cowboys on cattle ranches. They had to ride very far, sometimes for days, in bad weather and needed to do a lot of their work without getting off the horse!

Have you ever seen a cowboy in a movie lassoing a cow? Well, the other end of that rope has to be tied to something, or the cow would pull the rope right out of the cowboy's hand. That's one of the reasons the Western saddle has a very different look than the English saddle.

The western saddle has a "horn" on the front, so that the cowboy has something to tie the rope to when they lasso cattle or pull stuff. The rider uses the horse's strength to pull, instead of using only her own arms.

Horses who are used for Western riding are taught to walk backwards when they pull things so that the rider can see what's going on!

The Western style of riding started with the big Spanish ranches in the 1600s and 1700s in the Southwestern US and Northern Mexico (although it was all Spanish then!).

There were gentleman ranchers, called caballeros, who had huge farms. They always rode in style and had embroidered saddles with gold and silver on them! They loved luxury, and the Western style of fancy stitching and colored leather comes from this.

There were also vaqueros, the first working cowboys. Their saddles were much more plain and strong. A long time ago, the vaqueros used to tie cattle they had roped to their horse's tail! It was only later, as their saddles got better and stronger, that they began to use the horn.

The horn is what makes posting uncomfortable in western riding reguardless of speed.

EricP
2006-06-09, 06:30 PM
To Felinoid, Antina, and any who are experiencing color problems: see my thread "What's up with the Colors?" from May 15th. Or... I could just explain it here. The color problems you are experiencing are due to your browser not loading the picture in full quality in order to speed up loading times. This usually happens with dial-up services. All you have to do to restore Rich's beautiful art is to right-click on the picture and go down to "Refresh page with Full Quality" and Viola! The Order of the Stick in perfect technicolor!!!
But the missing arm thing was kind of weird. maybe V was scratching her back and had it tucked behind her for that panel. Yeah, that's right. Or maybe Rich was running behind and missed it. When I get my copy of The Order of The Stick Vol. 3- Azure City Blues, (Or whatever Rich decides to call it) I am sure Rich will correct that frame and V's cute, little elven arm will be back where it belongs.

CelestialStick
2006-06-09, 06:43 PM
To Felinoid, Antina, and any who are experiencing color problems: see my thread "What's up with the Colors?" from May 15th. Or... I could just explain it here. The color problems you are experiencing are due to your browser not loading the picture in full quality in order to speed up loading times. This usually happens with dial-up services. All you have to do to restore Rich's beautiful art is to right-click on the picture and go down to "Refresh page with Full Quality" and Viola! The Order of the Stick in perfect technicolor!!!
But the missing arm thing was kind of weird. maybe V was scratching her back and had it tucked behind her for that panel. Yeah, that's right. Or maybe Rich was running behind and missed it. When I get my copy of The Order of The Stick Vol. 3- Azure City Blues, (Or whatever Rich decides to call it) I am sure Rich will correct that frame and V's cute, little elven arm will be back where it belongs.
Azure City blues?! I love it!

Yobgod
2006-06-09, 06:57 PM
Aside from that though, I'm pretty sure that you only take falling damage for falls of 10 feet or more. Are there special rules for damage from falling off a horse?

Yes. From the d20 3.5 SRD:
Soft Fall
You can react instantly to try to take no damage when you fall off a mount—when it is killed or when it falls, for example. If you fail your Ride check, you take 1d6 points of falling damage. This usage does not take an action. DC15

first, you can freely move through a space occupied by an ally who lets you as long as they are not engaged in melee (although that would've spoiled the fun).

The barbarian was not "moving", he was charging. You can't charge through any obstruction, allies included. It sounds like the DM allowed a modified Overrun attempt in order to charge through the Dwarven obstacle, which is not within the core rules but is still pretty reasonable.

Elcaz
2006-06-09, 07:43 PM

The horses didn't vanish like they were smoke. They popped. If you were sitting on a giant bubblegum balloon and suddenly it went pop! you'd probably fly off a bit too.

This was a great comic, as were the last five or six. I'm starting to wonder if quantity has any effect on quality. We're getting the comics slower till august, but they're turning out to be funnier than many from two or three months ago.

I'm patiently waiting for the next one.

Gamefreakguy
2006-06-09, 08:21 PM
Wow... a lot to return comment on when you miss a couple days...

Wow Gamefreak. Your avatar combines two of my favorite things: guns and kitties! Two great tastes that go great together! :D

Thanks! It used to be...
http://img223.imageshack.us/img223/1851/dancingbearani6cw.gif
...but it got replaced because of its large filesize... then I remembered I had this! :D I like it too.

Are you saying coconuts are migratory?!
Actually I think that should be "Are you proposing that coconuts migrate?"
I looked on the cheaty thingy site too and it's "Are you saying coconuts migrate?" but, yeah, that goes well with the comic's joke too. :P

...And there was a lot more to return comment on but I won't comment on it all. other than to say please never bring up the subject of horse-riding again.

My own personal comment on the comic:
I don't see why Belkar looked like he fell at all... He was already touching the ground...
EDIT/Sort of...
OH, someone mentioned that... in a way...

TinSoldier
2006-06-09, 08:24 PM
Well, the cheaty-thing may not be 100% accurate. I could swear someone said "migratory" (and mispronounced it in my book) in that scene.

Gamefreakguy
2006-06-09, 08:28 PM
Well, the cheaty-thing may not be 100% accurate. I could swear someone said "migratory" (and mispronounced it in my book) in that scene.
I was almost positive (although I don't swear... :D) that he said "...coconuts migrate?"

TinSoldier
2006-06-09, 08:31 PM
I'm going to watch it this weekend. I'll post if it is different from the cheaty-thing.

Dugray
2006-06-09, 10:19 PM
Not comic related whatsoever but the geek in me must point this out.

http://www.transformersmovie.com/ <- Boner Get.

DDT
2006-06-09, 10:27 PM

Someone does say "migratory" ("myGRATEoree"), but not regarding coconuts: "Of course, African swallows are non-migratory"

Wren
2006-06-10, 12:49 AM

because hollywood has a great track record of rekindling childhood memories.

random fact: optimus prime is a FIRE TRUCK in this new movie. way to go, hollywood

CelestialStick
2006-06-10, 01:02 AM
Wow... a lot to return comment on when you miss a couple days...
Thanks! It used to be...
[snip]
...but it got replaced because of its large filesize... then I remembered I had this! :D I like it too.

Oh, the new one is much cooler. I wonder how it was created. I mean it actually looks like a kitten holding a gun!

That reminds me of the NRA Care Bear we created in my D&D group. It started out with the player of a ranger named Caerwyn telling us that "Caer" is pronounced like "Care" in Care Bear. Then I made up the NRA Carebear armed with an assault rifle. Then he joked that it's the National Ranger Association. :D

Schattendrache
2006-06-10, 01:02 AM
Random fact -- he's a fire truck in the latest installation of the animated series, and I also believe the comic book it's based on.

Things do change, from time to time, and a transformer's 'vehicle mode' can be changed on a daily basis if they feel like it, due to their transformation matrix.

...don't look at me like that, my 4yr old son is obsessed with transformers currently. ;D

What you didn't mention is that it can be a flying fire truck. ;) The biggest issue I have with that linked site is the fact that it's counting down 25+ days, not a year and 25 days....

Solmage
2006-06-10, 01:08 AM
Well he said that he'd do another one "Friday-ish" since he missed Monday, so you're right--it'll probably come out around Sunday or Monday. ;)
This thread has been unusually quiet for an OOTS strip thread. It needs more controversy to keep it going!

Rachel: You cheated on me!
Ross: We were on a break! ;)
(Just kidding.)

Well, it's Saturday now.. so just curioUs, have the theories about Rich's untimely demise surfaced already? 8)

edit: Spelling. PS C.E. :P

Durin
2006-06-10, 01:10 AM
yeah whats up with that the thought of being run over by an eighteen wheeler (oddly enough) is alot scarrier than the thought of being hit bt a fire truck.

p.s.
I'm ready for the new comic now maybe later today... I hope.

CelestialStick
2006-06-10, 01:12 AM
Well, it's Saturday now.. so just curios, have the theories about Rich's untimely demise surfaced already? 8)

I don't collect curios. ;) But getting back to the next strip, Rich has posted a thread saying that he's starting it now and plans to have it done before he goes to bed around 5 AM.

Durin
2006-06-10, 01:16 AM
I don't collect curios. ;) But getting back to the next strip, Rich has posted a thread saying that he's starting it now and plans to have it done before he goes to bed around 5 AM.

Wow Celestial stick you sure are smart about the goings on... like wizard smart. which is way smarter than bard smart, which is way way smarter than bad ass dwarf fighter who likes to smash things with his head smart... wait scratch that last one no one can beat my head smashin' powers!

Maelstrom
2006-06-10, 01:16 AM
OK -- are we playing limbo now, or just in it?

Durin
2006-06-10, 01:18 AM
Limbo is the breeding ground of chaos... I like chaos

CelestialStick
2006-06-10, 01:18 AM
Wow Celestial stick you sure are smart about the goings on... like wizard smart. which is way smarter than bard smart, which is way way smarter than bad ass dwarf fighter who likes to smash things with his head smart... wait scratch that last one no one can beat my head smashin' powers!
LOL

OK -- are we playing limbo now, or just in it?
I'm too old to play limbo--I can't go under the stick unless it's held over my head. ;)

Durin
2006-06-10, 01:22 AM
Limbo is great cause it's one of the few games it's nearly impossible to cheat at... well nearly anyway

Schattendrache
2006-06-10, 01:23 AM
yeah whats up with that the thought of being run over by an eighteen wheeler (oddly enough) is alot scarrier than the thought of being hit bt a fire truck.

I hope you guys aren't going to get all bent out of shape over the fact that Bumblebee is going to be a Camero instead of a VW Beetle, too....

Durin
2006-06-10, 01:28 AM
WHAT!? Bumblebee is NOT a camero he is a VW the name bumblebee is not one you would give to a camero.... now go to your kitchen and drink the pinesol Koolaid you heretic

I am a funny person... Ima go crush cans with my skull

P.S. seriously though don't, that will kill you I might get in trouble for suggesting that so DO NOT DRINK THE PINESOL KOOLAID I REPEAT DO NOT DRINK THE KOOLAID

Schattendrache
2006-06-10, 01:37 AM
WHAT!? Bumblebee is NOT a camero he is a VW the name bumblebee is not one you would give to a camero.... now go to your kitchen and drink the pinesol Koolaid you heretic

I am a funny person... Ima go crush cans with my skull

P.S. seriously though don't, that will kill you I might get in trouble for suggesting that so DO NOT DRINK THE PINESOL KOOLAID I REPEAT DO NOT DRINK THE KOOLAID

You off your meds again, Durin? ^_^;

Durin
2006-06-10, 01:39 AM
HOW DID YOU... that's not important
I'm depressed now

CelestialStick
2006-06-10, 01:51 AM
I'm depressed now
Here, you can have some of my Lexapro... ;)

Gamefreakguy
2006-06-10, 02:25 AM
I'm going to watch it this weekend. I'll post if it is different from the cheaty-thing.
Alrighty-o! :D

What the... are you trying to lead us on a random bunny trail even deadlier than the horse-riding technique history? :o

random fact: optimus prime is a FIRE TRUCK in this new movie. way to go, hollywood
...Yeah, it's like that in every one. :-/ Isn't it?

I'm too old to play limbo--I can't go under the stick unless it's held over my head. ;)
We could still play... ...with you as the stick... And have the tournament of the Celestial Limbo!! ;)
:P
:-X
:-/
:'(

I'm depressed now
Oh, I know some meds you could take for that. :D

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

Wait wait wait, wait for Oots three-two-twoooooo.....

Sleep sleep sleep, sleep and wake up early fooooor it.....

No, NO, NOO!!! Can't miss the first page agaaaaaaaaaaiin.....

Yes yes yes, yes you must sleep or else you'll be tiiiiiiiiired and do something cluuuuuuuumsy and then you'll get yourself suuuuuuuueeed and then you'll have to file for baaaaaaaaankruptcy and you won't be able to buy the third book of Oooooooooooooots.....
WOAH OKAY OKAY!! I SLEEP! I SLEEP!! :o

Schattendrache
2006-06-10, 02:28 AM
Ooookay, new candidate for needing da meds.... ^_^;

The Glitter Ninja
2006-06-10, 02:35 AM
Did someone say they were giving out meds?

*holds out hand*

Durin
2006-06-10, 02:45 AM
Well my Girl just went home (for lack of a better term) finally. and we've decided we've been sitting around my house too much so I'm taking her to a Sammy Hagar concert tommorow. And then... sigh... she gets to decide what we do on sunday... I don't wanna see another chick movie.

ARMOURERERIC
2006-06-10, 02:55 AM
The Giant's getting a good nights rest so he can watch the lasy ever episode of Yu-Gi-oh tomorrow.
Eric

charik
2006-06-10, 02:59 AM
Did someone say they were giving out meds?

*holds out hand*

I think I just failed a Spot check.

Solmage
2006-06-10, 02:59 AM

:P I officially stop caring about minor typos after 12:00 am. As for the comic, good to know! Guess I can finish watching the soccer match in peace without having to re-load every half hour.

Durin
2006-06-10, 03:00 AM
The Giant's getting a good nights rest so he can watch the lasy ever episode of Yu-Gi-oh tomorrow.
Eric

you do realise that alot of people are about to target you don't you? Good-bye ARMOURERERIFIC name I didn't know ye at all

The Demented One
2006-06-10, 04:17 AM
Eric
Lies. Franchises like that don't die, they enter hibernation and return after centuries as lich necromancers at the head of a shambling horde of undead. The soulless legions once again march through the fields of television and batter down the gates of the parental wallet, aided by the insidiously treachorous souls of children, who they reward with an unholy transformation and recruitment into their own foul ranks.

Durin
2006-06-10, 04:24 AM
Lies. Franchises like that don't die, they enter hibernation and return after centuries as lich necromancers at the head of a shambling horde of undead. The soulless legions once again march through the fields of television and batter down the gates of the parental wallet, aided by the insidiously treachorous souls of children, who they reward with an unholy transformation and recruitment into their own foul ranks.

Waddid I tell yah target pfft man I'm good.

Gamefreakguy
2006-06-10, 07:59 AM
Well... those meds looked tempting, until I saw this. Here you go.

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

Woah woah wha-???? It's seven o'clock for me and still no comic... does Rich live in eastern US time zone? I live in central.

battleburn
2006-06-10, 08:01 AM
Over here it's 14:00 hours on saturday
Don't know what time it is where Rich lives.

BrandoJS
2006-06-10, 11:15 AM
I hope you guys aren't going to get all bent out of shape over the fact that Bumblebee is going to be a Camero instead of a VW Beetle, too....

Poor Bumblebee is going to be a Camero cause VW wanted to charge some absurd amount for the rights to use a VW bug. The producers decided not to pay it since for the most part, young kids these days aren't too familiar with the old school Bug.
Optimus Prime is going to be a firetruck cause they're "more heroic" than semi trucks.
In any case, the movie doesn't look to be too bad. At one point, they were looking to recast the original voice actors from the first cartoon.

CelestialStick
2006-06-10, 01:16 PM
We could still play... ...with you as the stick... And have the tournament of the Celestial Limbo!! ;)

LOL! That's great! :D

:P
:-X
:-/
:'(
Oh, I know some meds you could take for that. :D

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

Wait wait wait, wait for Oots three-two-twoooooo.....

Sleep sleep sleep, sleep and wake up early fooooor it.....

No, NO, NOO!!! Can't miss the first page agaaaaaaaaaaiin.....

Yes yes yes, yes you must sleep or else you'll be tiiiiiiiiired and do something cluuuuuuuumsy and then you'll get yourself suuuuuuuueeed and then you'll have to file for baaaaaaaaankruptcy and you won't be able to buy the third book of Oooooooooooooots.....
WOAH OKAY OKAY!! I SLEEP! I SLEEP!! :o
Um, sounds like you might need meds stronger than the ones I have. ;)

hyikim
2006-06-17, 09:56 PM
yay, i got the 20,000th view!

Edit: yay, 21st page!

edit, AGAIN!: 300th reply!