PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder Song of Extinction Help (An Exercise in Variation and Wording)

Levism84
2018-01-06, 11:31 AM
Hey Playground,

I recently had the opportunity to look through Lyrics of Extinction after coming across the Song of Extinction bardic masterpiece, and I had a few questions about how the artifact and the masterpiece each work, mechanically speaking. In addition, I found the description for the Song of Extinction (Music Box) in Lyrics of Extinction differs from the description for the artifact on the Archives of Nethys website. I was wondering if both were viable or if one superseded the other?

The biggest difference is between the two Song of Extinction (Music Box) artifacts.

Song of Extinction (Music Box) - Lyrics of Extinction

Used by: 10th-level or higher evil-aligned follower of Zon-Kuthon
Area: 10-mile radius around artifact
Effect: Destroys buildings, creatures (including user) take damage and are buried
Save DC: 15
Benefit: User's max lifespan is extended by 1 year for every humanoid killed
Penalty: User takes a permanent -4 penalty to Str and Con
Special Note: User cannot learn Song of Extinction masterpiece from this music box

Song of Extinction (Music Box) - Archives of Nethys

Used by: Anyone
Area: 100-foot radius around artifact
Effect: earthquake (as the spell), creatures (except user) must save or be swallowed by earth, crushed, and buried alive
Save DC: 25
Benefit: User ceases to age for 1 year if any sentient creature is killed
Penalty: none
Special Note: User (if a bard that meets prerequisites) can learn Song of Extinction masterpiece from this music box

I know, mechanically speaking, I could use either artifact for a non-PFS campaign I run (or even some third home-brewed amalgamation of both artifacts). I also know the Lyric's Music Box is fairly straight-forward in that it extends the users max lifespan by 1 year for every humanoid killed (affecting the venerable age category). However, the Archive's Music Box could be read as either "the user ceases to age for 1 year [if at least one] sentient creature is killed" or "the user ceases to age for 1 year [for every] sentient creature [that] is killed." My money is on the former than the latter, but I wanted to get a feel from the playground as to the intention of the wording, since the Lyric's Music Box talks about every humanoid killed providing a benefit.

Also, the bardic masterpiece makes no mention of Zon-Kuthon or having to be evil to use it, so I am assuming those aren't requirements for the Archive's Music Box masterpiece. However, is using the masterpiece to extend your lifespan by ceasing to age a year by taking a sentient life inherently evil? What if an adventurer bard uses the masterpiece on a goblin tribe the party was going to attack anyway? Also, does ceasing to age for one year stack with itself (for multiple uses of the masterpiece in the same year) or does the masterpiece simply reset the one year timer?

Thanks in advance for your time and consideration.