PDA

View Full Version : D&D 3.x Class The Jack of All Trades (modified Rogue)

GrayDeath
2018-01-06, 12:14 PM
This class is meant to allow a Rogue with more versatility and Depth (center Tier 3), without actually changing the concept much. It is not a full Spellcaster by design, as it aims at a Chamaeleonlike Filling of many roles" without being as complicated or exploitable.
It has been used quite a few times already, and has managed to keep the Single CLass Rogue(ish Guy) relevcant and fun, without charging into others turf in most games.

As with all my CLasses, it is aimed at full 3.p. If using only 3.5 sources, reduce the Skillpts/Level and the HD Size by 2, adapt the Skill-List and enjoy.

I am looking forward to any feedback that might help me spot problems/potential I might have missed.

Alignment/Relations/Mechanics: As Rogue. It needs the same attributes, has the same basic weaknesses, only with the added versatility and Power of its SLA`s, but is worse at the Rogues Main Shtick of Dealing Damage and dealing with Traps.

The Jack of all Trades

Level
Base Attack Bonus
Fort Save
Ref Save
Will Save
Special

1st

+0

+0

+2

+0
Sneak Attack 1d6, SLA Level 1, Weapon Finesse

2nd

+1

+0

+3

+0
SLA Level 1, Evasion

3rd

+2

+1

+3

+1
SLA Level 1, Jack of all Trades

4th

+3

+1

+4

+1
Sneak Attack +2d6, SLA Level 1 or 2, Smart Attacks

5th

+3

+1

+4

+1
Uncanny Dodge, SLA Level 1 or 2

6th

+4

+2

+5

+2
SLA Level 1, 2 or 3

7th

+5

+2

+5

+2
Sneak Attack +3d6, SLA Level 1-3

8th

+6/+1

+2

+6

+2
SLA Level 1-3, Improved Uncanny Dodge

9th

+6/+1

+3

+6

+3
SLA Level 1-4

10th

+7/+2

+3

+7

+3
SLA Level 1-4, Sneak Attack +4d6

11th

+8/+3

+3

+7

+3
SLA Level 1-4, Improved Evasion

12th

+9/+4

+4

+8

+4
Special Ability, SLA Level 1-4

13th

+9/+4

+4

+8

+4
SLA Level 1-5

14th

+10/+5

+4

+9

+4
SLA Level 1-5, Sneak Attack +5d6

15th

+11/+6/+1

+5

+9

+5
SLA Level 1-5, Special Ability

16th

+12/+7/+2

+5

+10

+5
SLA Level 1-6

17th

+12/+7/+2

+5

+10

+5
SLA Level 1-6, Sneak Attack +6d6

18th

+13/+8/+3

+6

+11

+6
SLA Level 1-6, Special Ability

19th

+14/+9/+4

+6

+11

+6
SLA Level 1-6l

20th

+15/+10/+5

+6

+12

+6
Roguish Exploitation, Sneak Attack +7d6

Hit Die: D8

Skillpts/Level: 10+ Intelligence Modifier

Class Skills: As Rogue + all Knowledges

SLA`s: A Jack of all trades learns one SLA every Level but the 20th, at the maximum level mentioned in the table. He can pick these from either the Wizard or the Cleric Spell List.
He can use every SLA learned that way following these rules: They do not need material Components. They must have either Somatic or Verbal Components, and the chosen component of these cannot be circumvented by Metamagic.
They can use them up to Intelligence Bonus-Level of the SLA times per day, to a minimum of once per day. (Example: A Rogue with intelligence 18 can use a first Level SLA 3 times, but a third OR fourth Level SLA only once/day).

Jack of all Trades: From level 3 onward, a Jack of all Trades can finagle its way through most problems. At this Level, and every 3 Levels thereafter, choose one Skill. You can either always take 10 if using that Skill OR add half your Level in Jack of all Trades to any roll made for it (Choose once and for all at the Level you select the relevant skill).

Smart Attacks: From 4th level onward, a Jack of all Trades adds his Intelligence or his strength (the better of the 2) bonus to his damage rolls.

Special Abilities: See Rogue.

Roguish Exploitation: A jack of all trades of Level 20 has seen and done it all, and come to tell the tale. At this Level he may, once per week, muddle around in what he has learned and come up with a surprisingly almost legal solution to his problem. This allows him to exchange a single SLA he has learned for another of the same Level. Unlike with his normal SLA`s, he may pick these from ANY Core Spell List AND any other 9th Level Spell List from Sources allowed for your game!
At reaching this Level, he may also, without the need for the abovementioned meditation, exchange up to three SLA`s he knows as described above.

Grod_The_Giant
2018-01-08, 07:43 AM
So you're swapping 2d6 sneak attack for a small amount of casting, a slightly better chassis, and a few skills you can take 10 on? Seems solid enough; we've seen that sort of design work real well with things like the Psychic Rouge. My main concern is MADness-- you're encouraged to pump Int real hard. Might I suggest throwing in a bit of Swashbuckler? Specifically, Weapon Finesse at 1st and Int-to-damage at 3rd. That should help take care of those problems a bit.

GrayDeath
2018-01-08, 05:53 PM
HMmm,, thats an actually really obviousm idea.

I am ashamed I did not think of it, willb e done in one way or the other.

Thank you for the Feedback!