PDA

View Full Version : Player Help Looking for Class

GrayDeath
2018-01-06, 12:29 PM
Hello Forum!

One of my friends, who is playing in the same group I am but lost his chaaracter last Session, asked me if there is a CLass that fills the folliowing Points (or if one has to do multiclassing, as most of the time^^)
(for System: full 3.p, and we are at Level 8 atm)
:

Casts Divine Spells spontaneously, has more different Spells/Level than a favoured Soul, fights better than it, tops at 6th level Spells, ideally offers either access to Energy Chanelling or one or two domains (may be later in the class progression).

Since I came up empty:

Thanks in Advance!

DrMotives
2018-01-06, 12:38 PM
You might see if favored soul into prestige paladin (will add paladin-specific spells to your spells known options) will work. The PrPal levels will lower the spell level ceiling and improve the BAB of the FS base. Although I'm not sure how to get turning into the character to allow it to qualify for PrPal.

GrayDeath
2018-01-06, 12:45 PM
Yeah, that was my Idea as well, especially since the guy loves playing good, but FS dont turn, and our GM, unlike myself, is a bit funny regarding Homebrews....

So even if there is a class that fulfills above, he might go Prestige Paladin anyway, if he can get Channel Energy/Turn Undead (remember, full 3.p)...

Palanan
2018-01-06, 12:54 PM
Originally Posted by GrayDeath
Casts Divine Spells spontaneously, has more different Spells/Level than a favoured Soul, fights better than it, tops at 6th level Spells, ideally offers either access to Energy Chanelling or one or two domains (may be later in the class progression).

How about oracle?

It seems to hit all your high points: spontaneous divine spells, same spell progression and hit dice, access to channeling through feats, and much more coherent and flavorful options with the revelations.

Long_shanks
2018-01-06, 01:00 PM
If you are open to Pathfinder, this looks exactly like an Inquisitor (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/base-classes/inquisitor/). The spells per day are a bit low, but it hits all the other criterias.

GrayDeath
2018-01-06, 02:08 PM
How about oracle?

It seems to hit all your high points: spontaneous divine spells, same spell progression and hit dice, access to channeling through feats, and much more coherent and flavorful options with the revelations.

I`ve playerd a lot of Oracles, but they, as Favoured Souls which they surpass in every aspect, are 9th level Casters. And the Curse is not to everyones liking (as much as I like the concept^^).

If you are open to Pathfinder, this looks exactly like an Inquisitor (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/base-classes/inquisitor/). The spells per day are a bit low, but it hits all the other criterias.

That ... seems to fit really well, except for the "more spells known than the favoured Soul" part. is there a way for them to get more? Especially in the 1st to 4th area? Higher BAB would be nice as well, as even if they have more fitting combat related abilities, they dont per se fight better than FS.
havent palyxed one or seen one played so far, so my knowledge with them is very limited.

Palanan
2018-01-06, 02:16 PM
I guess I'm a little confused about your friend's requirements. If you're saying the oracle surpasses the favored soul, then what's the reason for not going oracle?

Your friend seems to want more spells, but wants them to cap out at sixth level? I can't quite follow that.

GrayDeath
2018-01-06, 03:13 PM
Well, he does not want to play a 9th level caster. Dont ask me why, maybe the GM and my friend agreed on some other goodies? Or he does not want to add another 9th level caster to the momentary makeup of Sorcerer and Bard+Sublime Chord, who knows?

So as far as I understand the requirements he wants a gishier, more flexible spontaneous caster than a Favoured Soul would be....

Long_shanks
2018-01-06, 03:25 PM
That ... seems to fit really well, except for the "more spells known than the favoured Soul" part. is there a way for them to get more? Especially in the 1st to 4th area? Higher BAB would be nice as well, as even if they have more fitting combat related abilities, they dont per se fight better than FS.
havent palyxed one or seen one played so far, so my knowledge with them is very limited.

Between Judgment and Bane, their accuracy and damage output is plain better, plus their spell list has all the best divine selfbuffs Pathfinder has to offer. There are also some archetypes that can up the combat ability. I've played a Sanctified Slayer Inquisitor, focussed on two-weapon fighting, for a long time and was never disappointed with the damage.

It's going to be hard to fulfill all your friends criteria. I don't think there are 6th level casters that get more than 3/4 BAB. I would just propose him the Inquisitor and give him the link to a couple of guides to show him what the class can do and see if he likes it.

Nifft
2018-01-06, 03:30 PM
You might see if favored soul into prestige paladin (will add paladin-specific spells to your spells known options) will work. The PrPal levels will lower the spell level ceiling and improve the BAB of the FS base. Although I'm not sure how to get turning into the character to allow it to qualify for PrPal.

http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/classes/spontaneousDivineCasters.htm <== Spontaneous Cleric gets 2 Domains, and all spells on those Domain lists are on her Spells Known list in addition to whatever she picks on level-up, so I think she's got significantly more spells known than a Favored Soul.

In combo with Prestige Paladin, I think you can top out at 6th level spells known.

Falontani
2018-01-06, 04:24 PM
http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/classes/spontaneousDivineCasters.htm <== Spontaneous Cleric gets 2 Domains, and all spells on those Domain lists are on her Spells Known list in addition to whatever she picks on level-up, so I think she's got significantly more spells known than a Favored Soul.

In combo with Prestige Paladin, I think you can top out at 6th level spells known.

I would suggest combining it with the prestige class: Sovereign Speaker. You gain a bunch of domains, allow you to spontaneously cast from all of them, and gives you more spells per day from your "domains" which share a pool with your normal spellcasting now.

Palanan
2018-01-06, 04:29 PM
If all of 3.P is an option, then another suggestion would be the Evangelist—not the PrC, but the variant cleric class from Dragon #311. Spontaneous casting, plus a total of six domains, three of which would be in play at 8th level.

It has d8 hit dice and reasonable melee potential. Just another option to consider, since it hits at least some of your friend’s rather confusing high points.

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2018-01-06, 07:52 PM
Cleric with the Spontaneous Divine Caster variant (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/classes/spontaneousDivineCasters.htm) from UA should work. Take a prestige class that improves fighting ability by sacrificing spellcaster levels, such as Ordained Champion (CC).

Florian
2018-01-07, 11:38 AM

You don´t need a higher BAB on an Inquisitor. Judgements, Bane and some of the best self-buff spells in the game (check out an Inquisitor-only spell, Wrath) will turn the character into a blender.
As has been pointed out, that class works very well with something like twin Kukri or Wakizashi and grabbing the Twin Bane feat.

Getting more spells and spells known is more of a WBL thing. Buy some Pearl of Power and Pages of Spell Knowledge and you're golden.

GrayDeath
2018-01-07, 02:47 PM
After checking the class extensively (and reading a few handbook entries) I am certain that Inquisitor will fit perfectly, especially with the APG Human Favoured Class Bonus of getting a new Spell every Level (if of lower level than he could have maximally taken normally).

And since he also likes Palidnesque types, well, even better.

Thank you all for your Help!