PDA

View Full Version : Move building a little with magic

ayvango
2018-01-06, 02:28 PM
Great fighter built his house on base of a hill. Later he found scenery too boring. At this time his old friend, a powerful wizard, pay him a visit. What magic means he could employ to move entire house 100 meters up the hill? House it too big for an animate objects spell.

Afgncaap5
2018-01-06, 03:14 PM
Well... I don't know how much a typical house weighs. If the house (hut, maybe) happens to weigh less than 1000 pounds (making it weigh less than a typical car...) and be smaller than sixty cubic feet (making it smaller than three-ish decent refrigerators) then the wizard (which I assume to be twentieth level) could employ Teleport Object. I'm guessing that the so-named great fighter is living in a place a bit more ostentatious than that, though.

Failing that, if the hill in question is less than 100 feet high, a Reverse Gravity spell might lift the house (ignoring things rooted to the ground like the foundation), providing something like a gust of wind to push the house into place. This will probably destroy the house in the process.

I think the best candidate for this job is actually a bard equipped with a Lyre of Building. If you have a DM who interprets the Lyre to be something that can cause general construction work to happen as opposed to something that merely "construct buildings, mines, tunnels, ditches, or whatever", then a few hours of playing from the bard would easily create sledges, pulleys, ideal paths up the hill, sliding momentum for the house, and then undo all the signs of labor and replace it with pleasant flowers, grass, and other greenery to make the part of the hill used for lifting the house pleasant to look at again.

If it needs to come from the wizard in some way, have the wizard call his other friend, the best bard. Or have the wizard be weirdly proficient with playing stringed instruments. Or, if we're still assuming a level 20 wizard, just have the wizard hire the laborers to do the work, though that's admittedly not magical.

Vizzerdrix
2018-01-06, 04:56 PM
Suspension. 4th level. 1000 lbs/level. Gonna have to boost that cl a bit, or cast it several times.

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2018-01-06, 05:00 PM
1. Some combination of buffs (Polymorph for multiple legs helps) so the Wizard's carrying capacity is enough that the house doesn't exceed his maximum load.
2. Teleport.

ayvango
2018-01-06, 05:48 PM
Suspension. 4th level. 1000 lbs/level. Gonna have to boost that cl a bit, or cast it several times.
I think typical house weights 50-200 ton. It would require quite a caster level to lift it up.

Nifft
2018-01-06, 06:30 PM
Planar binding, use slave labor to move the house.

Animate dead, use undead slave labor to move the house.

ayvango
2018-01-06, 06:48 PM
Planar binding, use slave labor to move the house.

Animate dead, use undead slave labor to move the house.
I doubt a slave balor would be of great help either undead or alive. Unseen Crafters would be more straightforward route.

Knaight
2018-01-06, 07:02 PM
Just use Move Earth. It explicitly says that structures shift to accomodate the new terrain, so you move the earth under the house gradually up the hill. It's 6th level, which establishes a maximum way to do it in the obvious fashion. Creative options might well come in lower.

Feantar
2018-01-06, 07:14 PM
There's a relevant thread from 2013 that also seems to have ended with no definite answers. Moving a Castle (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?270584-Moving-a-castle-Can-it-be-done).

You can always use Wish if the wizard is really powerful.

unseenmage
2018-01-06, 07:27 PM
Nothing is too big for Animate Objects, it just isn't in enough smaller pieces yet. :smallsmile:

Cast Disintegrate a lot then dustpan and broom to move house?

Nifft
2018-01-07, 12:29 AM
Just use Move Earth. It explicitly says that structures shift to accomodate the new terrain, so you move the earth under the house gradually up the hill. It's 6th level, which establishes a maximum way to do it in the obvious fashion. Creative options might well come in lower.

Good thinking.

Heh, it's probably easier to use Move Earth to move the hill such that it's under the house.