PDA

View Full Version : Dueling for beastmaster ranger any good . thanks

Titaniumlord430
2018-01-06, 02:55 PM
i just Wanted to ask if the dueling fighting style is any good for a beast master ranger . also i wanted to ask what feat is should take as a Variant human . thanks a lot for the help :)

Madfellow
2018-01-06, 04:35 PM
i just Wanted to ask if the dueling fighting style is any good for a beast master ranger . also i wanted to ask what feat is should take as a Variant human . thanks a lot for the help :)

I think it depends on whether you're using the original ranger in the phb, or the experimental fix from unearthed arcana. The original BM ranger I think would benefit more from archery, since the beast will be the one up in melee. You the ranger are more of a support platform in that arrangement. The unearthed arcana version doesn't have the action economy limitations of the original, so dueling is a more worthwhile option in that case.

pdegan2814
2018-01-06, 09:55 PM
Dueling is fine for a Beastmaster Ranger, at least under the PHB rules. In that version(as far as I know), you use your Action to have your companion attack, meaning you aren't taking the Attack action and aren't triggering two-weapon fighting. If you use the Revised Ranger version however, your companion gets its own turn, so the Two-Weapon Fighting style might be better if you don't plan to carry a shield. For your starting feat, I'd probably choose between Alert(going first is nice, so is avoiding being surprised), Defensive Duelist(not AS good at Level 1, but scales as you level up), Dual Wielder(if you go for TWF), Observant(though some DMs don't make good use of passive Perception), plus Lucky is never a bad feat choice.

bid
2018-01-06, 10:54 PM
Dueling style is good if you attack yourself. But then you aren't using your beast at all. So no.

PBH beast master is best with defense or archery style. Others just don't work well. In fact, its crappy action economy kills TWF and the shield master feat, meaning you can't have a good melee build. About the only thing that works well is sharpshooter with archery style.