PDA

View Full Version : DM Help Wall of Stone

Fastfingerjo
2018-01-06, 04:49 PM
I have a couple questions about the 5th level spell Wall of Stone (5e Player's Handbook Page 287) .

The spell indicates that it creates 10 10'x10' contiguous stone panels 6" thick, or 10'x20' panels 3" thick.
1. Is it possible to create fewer than 10 panels?
2. If a player wants to fill a space, say a 10' wide hallway, with a stone wall, can he fold the panels back on themselves to effectively create a wall that is 10 panels thick (or 60"). The spell says the panels must be contiguous. Wouldn't they be contiguous if they were lined up back to back as opposed to end to end?

Thanks for your thoughts.

Ninja_Prawn
2018-01-06, 05:01 PM
I have a couple questions about the 5th level spell Wall of Stone (5e Player's Handbook Page 287) .

The spell indicates that it creates 10 10'x10' contiguous stone panels 6" thick, or 10'x20' panels 3" thick.
1. Is it possible to create fewer than 10 panels?
2. If a player wants to fill a space, say a 10' wide hallway, with a stone wall, can he fold the panels back on themselves to effectively create a wall that is 10 panels thick (or 60"). The spell says the panels must be contiguous. Wouldn't they be contiguous if they were lined up back to back as opposed to end to end?

Thanks for your thoughts.

1. It doesn't say "up to 10", but I'd allow that.
2. I reckon that's ok.

Dalebert
2018-01-06, 07:46 PM
The spell seems to include quite a bit of leniency about how the panels are arranged, quite contrary to how Wall of Force is for instance. Wall of Force says all in one plane. Wall of Stone says you can arrange them and even work in a bit of detail like crenelations, stairs, or a bridge. It seems intended to be usable as a cheap construction spell. Build your castle with it!

So given all that, I'd allow them to be stacked to make a thicker wall.