PDA

View Full Version : Optimization Immunity to Mind Effecting VS Outsider Type

nalgarryn
2018-01-06, 09:12 PM
The context for this comparison is 20 levels of Binder vs 15 levels of Binder and 5 levels of KotSS

KotSS gives you:

Alignment-Aligned Attacks to combat DR
No Poor Pacts w/Patron Vestige
CHA Bonus to AC and Ref for 1 rd every 5 rds (and to adjacent allies)
Ability to use a once/5 rds power twice in a row (Patron only)
Become an Outsider type with DR 10/Magic
+1 on your Fort (relative to Binder 20)

The last five Binder levels give you:

A bonus feat from a limited list (i.e. Pact Magic, basic weap/arm prof, and +skill feats)
Two Pact Augmentations re-chosen daily (i.e. +2 Init, +1 to a combat stat, +5 hp, Energy resistance 5 to one type, DR 1/-)
Immunity to all mind-affecting spells and abilities
+2 on your Will save (Relatively speaking)

To me it looks like 20 lvls of Binder wins out over 5 levels of Prestige class.

Does the Outsider type prevent you from more negative effects (by virtue of no longer being subject to Humanoid targeting) than immunity to all mind effecting spells and abilities would?

Forrestfire
2018-01-06, 09:31 PM
Not only does outsider type not protect you from as many effects, immunity to mind-affecting largely protects you from the same effects. The premier dangers to a humanoid creature that an outsider is immune to are charm person and dominate person. Immunity to mind-affecting effects protects you from both, and much, much more, without removing your ability to benefit from enlarge person and similar effects.

Go for the immunity. Outsider type isn't worth it.

KillianHawkeye
2018-01-06, 09:37 PM
Just worth noting that if you're immune to mind-affecting effects, you can no longer benefit from anything that grants a morale bonus to you. That may not seem like a big deal to you, but it kinda sucks if you have a Bard in the party.

You might wanna see how many other beneficial effects count as mind-affecting before you make up your mind, because I think there's a few.

Zaq
2018-01-06, 09:53 PM
By high levels, there are exceedingly few humanoid-specific negative effects. Mind-affecting stuff remains pretty common. “Become an outsider” capstones are basically purely fluff and almost never really have noticeable game effects by the time they come online (the DR is usually /magic, which is totally ignorable at high levels because everything breaks it).

KotSS’s best feature is the instant recharge on the 5 round abilities of your patron. If you’re taking KotSS, it’s usually for that. If that isn’t something you’re building around, I recommend looking for a different PrC or not PrCing.

The Viscount
2018-01-07, 12:49 AM
Remember that a binder can gain immunity to mind affecting by binding Haures, so more binder levels allow you more freedom, but it's not as exclusive as it might seem. I agree with Zaq that the big bonus from KotSS is the instant recharge.

Outsider type does mean immunity to x person spells, but that cuts both ways in that you cant be buffed by enlarge person, and so on. You are likely gaining more than you lose, but it's not a complete boon.