PDA

View Full Version : Player Help How to get the most out of avarage stats?

Marcloure
2018-01-07, 02:08 AM
Hey.

I just rolled my character's stats, and I got pretty avarage results. Nothing over a 14, nothing below 10. And as we all know, D&D is a game that works based on classes focusing on one or two main stats, and being avarage-bad at the others. But that is not my case, so I came here looking for ideas on how to get the most out of the ones I got. And they are:
13 11 11 11 10 10

I can start with a 15 and two 12, choosing half-elf or vhuman, but nothing much higher than that. I don't think any STR build goes well without a high Con, and offensive casters depends on high spellcasting ability and Con. I could do a supportive caster, like a druid or cleric. Also, maybe an archer goes well. A rogue thief or scout? Or a r.ranger beastmaster?

Any ideas on what I could do?

JBPuffin
2018-01-07, 02:17 AM
Hey.

I just rolled my character's stats, and I got pretty avarage results. Nothing over a 14, nothing below 10. And as we all know, D&D is a game that works based on classes focusing on one or two main stats, and being avarage-bad at the others. But that is not my case, so I came here looking for ideas on how to get the most out of the ones I got. And they are:
13 11 11 11 10 10

I can start with a 15 and two 12, choosing half-elf or vhuman, but nothing much higher than that. I don't think any STR build goes well without a high Con, and offensive casters depends on high spellcasting ability and Con. I could do a supportive caster, like a druid or cleric. Also, maybe an archer goes well. A rogue thief or scout? Or a r.ranger beastmaster?

Any ideas on what I could do?

Normal human gives you a 14 and 3 12s, which is better than most offer (also, vhume only gives you either a 15 and a 12 or a 14 and 2 12s, provided you choose a feat with an ability boost); if you want to multiclass, which you probably will, you can get a 14 and a 13 with just about any race. Best bet is probably Rogue - Arcane Trickster for the most GTFO potential, which you'll want as extra insurance.

that_one_kobold
2018-01-07, 02:53 AM
Personally, i would go vhuman/halfling mastermind rogue who uses traps and schemes. Put the 14 in int so that the traps make sense from a gameplay perspective. You might be next to useless in a regular combat, but the free advantage for allies is nice. But the main part of this character comes from his ability to think. You would want to be a pretty creative player, setting the battlefield with traps and making crazy plans that just might work. Making two low int baddies get upset and beat each other up using some sort of bait would be funny. Hard to make really well optimized characters with a 13 for your best stat, so that's what i would do in that situation.

LeonBH
2018-01-07, 03:54 AM
Play a wild magic sorcerer. Convince your DM to let you surge after every spell cast.

Or play a h.elf warlock and pick up Elven Accuracy at level 4. The 3d20 to attacks will offset your low stats.

You might also play a Battle Master Archer who uses Maneuvering Strike and Commander's strike to mobilize your party mates to attack on your behalf on your turns.

Arelai
2018-01-07, 04:05 AM
As others pointed out, the best you can do statistically is a 14 and 3 twelves by going human-which gives you a bonus on 4 stats.

You could go human bard, put the 14 in CHA. Just buff people and bump your CHA at level 4. Jack of all trades let’s you have bonuses to most skills. You can’t wear good heavy armor without a 13 in STR, so wear light and make do with a ~13 ac.

Go Vuman if you want a feat instead of the extra 2 +1’s, and take sharpshooter with EB for damage, or take something else for fun(magic initiate, linguist, mounted combatant, etc)

AttilatheYeon
2018-01-07, 04:17 AM
Moon Druid

LeonBH
2018-01-07, 04:26 AM
Moon Druid

Have to agree actually

JellyPooga
2018-01-07, 05:04 AM
Several Classes are perfectly viable with less than impressive stats.

1) Spellcasters. Pretty much any spellcaster has the perfectly acceptable option of utilising spells that don't involve an attack roll or saving throw. Just take a good hard look at some of the spells that are lauded for being strong; Haste, Bless, Animate Objects, Polymorph, Heat Metal...just the 1st five off the top of my head. Will you be "missing out" by not having a 20 in your primary casting stat by level 8? Well, sort of, but not really.

2) Expertise. Two Classes have it directly (Rogue and Bard), several others have it by another name (e.g. Cleric and Ranger). Simply put, Expertise renders your ability score impotent and unimportant. Heck, put an 8 in an ability score and you'll still be as good as someone that maxed stats at something you have Expertise in.