PDA

View Full Version : DM Help A proper invitiation from Bahamut to Rogue

Pinjata
2018-01-07, 11:28 AM
Hey guys,

So I have a PC, a Rogue, who wants to be world-famous and is already actively working on setting up a chain of restaurants, named after him in Faerun. He's lvl 5 at the moment (D&D).

He is very intelligent, interested in mentioned fame, of Good alignment and exceptionally capable individual. Also, he will not just follow every NPC with an exclamation mark above its head.

I need to, in a credible way, ask this guy to help a god (Bahamut) mess up Tiamat's plans.

How should I do it?

I mean, player of this PC is a very cool guy, but I need to be convincing. I was thinking of having Bahamut show him the vision of all the places with rogue's restaurants being demolished and perhaps offer him something. Generally, I know rogue's player will be on board, but I'd like to pull this off in a cool way.

thank you :)

The Glyphstone
2018-01-07, 11:50 AM
What's wrong with offering him a carrot instead of a stick? Bahamut could just offer something valuable to him...say, if he does this favor, a well-known and highly respected paladin of the god will give an endorsement of his restaurant chain?

khadgar567
2018-01-07, 12:20 PM
What's wrong with offering him a carrot instead of a stick? Bahamut could just offer something valuable to him...say, if he does this favor, a well-known and highly respected paladin of the god will give an endorsement of his restaurant chain?
that would work since freaking deity helps you with the advertisement its like president signing your resume for your job application. and if he does good job then he can open shop any where bahamut has temple.

Davrix
2018-01-07, 12:24 PM
The Holy knight Guy shall come forth and bless thine place of business with the frosted tips of Bahamut and you shall know eternal five star reviews hence forth.

Honest Tiefling
2018-01-07, 04:47 PM
Well, what does the rogue do? I assume there's a reason Bahamut is asking a cook for help?

Or, you can go the stick route, but not from Bahamut. Followers of Tiamat accidentally or intentionally mess up his plans. If he's like most PCs, he'll get some vengeance, and the followers of Tiamat might escalate until going to the church of Bahamut seems like a super swell idea. Perhaps the local chapter doesn't have much in the way of rogues, so having a competant one of skill is a valuable asset they're eager to work with.

Perhaps a group of evil faux-PCs goes to his establishment to get some well deserved rest and food, only to be interrupted by an assassination attempt by one of their superiors who doesn't like how ambitious and capable they are. Chaos ensues.

Berenger
2018-01-07, 05:27 PM

"I am Commander Bahamut and this is my favourite restaurant at the Sword Coast!"

GentlemanVoodoo
2018-01-07, 06:35 PM
Hey guys,

So I have a PC, a Rogue, who wants to be world-famous and is already actively working on setting up a chain of restaurants, named after him in Faerun. He's lvl 5 at the moment (D&D).

He is very intelligent, interested in mentioned fame, of Good alignment and exceptionally capable individual. Also, he will not just follow every NPC with an exclamation mark above its head.

I need to, in a credible way, ask this guy to help a god (Bahamut) mess up Tiamat's plans.

How should I do it?

I mean, player of this PC is a very cool guy, but I need to be convincing. I was thinking of having Bahamut show him the vision of all the places with rogue's restaurants being demolished and perhaps offer him something. Generally, I know rogue's player will be on board, but I'd like to pull this off in a cool way.

thank you :)

You have a few options to play with here.

If you want the most straight forward, I would make Bahamut barter with your player that in exchange for his services some form of treasure or rare items will be given to help finance the business.

If you are wanting more original ideas, have Bahamut promise that the player's business will be given a boon of success personal guaranteed by the dragon god. You could then play off D&D lore where Bahamut personally comes in the restaurants in his old man disguises (with the canaries in tow) and is then joined by several nobles who are silver dragons in disguise as well. Older 3.5 materials do mention how Bahamut takes the form of a old man with 7 or so canaries (that are golden dragons who protect him) as one of his avatars. Likewise, old 3.5 materials do mention that silver dragons are known to take the disguise of humans and become nobles of some sort as part of their nature to obtain treasures/wealth.

Or simply offer the player a very rare recipe from a long dead civilization that will give him success.

Bohandas
2018-01-07, 07:27 PM
that would work since freaking deity helps you with the advertisement its like president signing your resume for your job application.

Or a former president even

TheFederalist
2018-01-07, 07:58 PM

Literally how Faerun's Michelin Stars program begins, isn't it?

Excession
2018-01-07, 08:09 PM

I kind of feel that if a literal god of good asks a Good (capital G) person to personally to do something, they should do it without asking for payment or promise of payment up front. They should be able to trust that a literal god of good won't stiff them on appropriate recompense should it be required. If they start haggling I'd say that's a solid push toward neutral for sure. Maybe if they have dependents that could be left without a caregiver it would be different, but this is just a business.

That said, celebrity endorsement is a time honoured tradition. In the UK businesses that supply the royal family get to display a crest with the words "By Appointment to HM the Queen (https://www.royalwarrant.org/)" or similar for example. That has been going on since 1840 at least.

JellyPooga
2018-01-08, 07:02 AM
I kind of feel that if a literal god of good asks a Good (capital G) person to personally to do something, they should do it without asking for payment or promise of payment up front.

As a Neutral businessman, I'd fully expect the gods of Good to stiff me when it comes to ponying up on the reward. Phrases like "you've saved the world, isn't that enough?" and "it was your moral duty" and "think of all the people you've made happy" get thrown around along with the flower petals and rainbows, but my purse doesn't get any fatter. Why do you think Evil has the monopoly on all the rich folks? Evil pays well. It's a solid recruitment plan; they're not exactly winning in the moral stakes, so money works in its stead. Should you ask "how high?" when a God of Good asks you to jump? Yeah probably. Am I going to if they don't give me an ironclad contract re: compensation? Hell no. Moral duty be damned, I'm more likely to ask what the competition is offering and go with the highest bidder.

oonker
2018-01-08, 07:25 AM
Does it HAVE to be Bahamut THE god, to come down and talk in person with the rogue in question? You did mention he was lvl5, right?

Why would a dragon god who commands dragons and people who worship dragons would need a cook? I know that there can be reasons, I'm just inviting you to tone it down in order to make your story more credible. Maybe make the local Bahamut temple be in need of your rogue. One of the mid-high clerics, but not "the high priest" or something. Like a cleric who wants to advance a post, and thought "hey, if we do something to this Tiamat temple, then my high priest will recognize me", and so he enlists the help of your rogue cook PC.

If the low level PCs have access to the highest level people, with highest level stuff, when your PCs get to high level, who will they interact with?

The Glyphstone
2018-01-08, 10:47 AM
I like describing this PC as a 'rogue cook'. It makes him sound more action-hero-ey....a maverick chef on the run with nothing left to lose.

Pinjata
2018-01-08, 10:57 AM
Does it HAVE to be Bahamut THE god, to come down and talk in person with the rogue in question? You did mention he was lvl5, right?

Why would a dragon god who commands dragons and people who worship dragons would need a cook? I know that there can be reasons, I'm just inviting you to tone it down in order to make your story more credible. Maybe make the local Bahamut temple be in need of your rogue. One of the mid-high clerics, but not "the high priest" or something. Like a cleric who wants to advance a post, and thought "hey, if we do something to this Tiamat temple, then my high priest will recognize me", and so he enlists the help of your rogue cook PC.

If the low level PCs have access to the highest level people, with highest level stuff, when your PCs get to high level, who will they interact with?

Splendid point! Actually, I could have a very low level initiate with a prophetic dream run up to this guy. Why was he chosen? Because he is CAPABLE. Like God-Tier capable. Player who plays this PC is not a munchkin but a social and mechanic optimizer beyond imagining.

I think suc a favour for Bahamut would mean some serious favour from all metallics and a massive boost to his franchize.

Thanks to all contributors!

noob
2018-01-08, 11:30 AM
Optimizing social interaction IRL is a form of munchkin in dnd 3.5.
I mean it is the optimal tactic against most gms and most of them will just be manipulated by the player speeches.
It is seven thousand steps more munchkin than playing pun pun and using the sacrifice rules.
You get way more advantages in the game the former way.

The Glyphstone
2018-01-08, 11:46 AM
Optimizing social interaction IRL is a form of munchkin in dnd 3.5.
I mean it is the optimal tactic against most gms and most of them will just be manipulated by the player speeches.
It is seven thousand steps more munchkin than playing pun pun and using the sacrifice rules.
You get way more advantages in the game the former way.

Pazuzu's got nothing on Pizza?:smallcool:

SirGraystone
2018-01-09, 10:34 AM
Offer one of Bahamut own recipe or a secret spice that only dragon know about.

Hot pepper from the far kingdom of Maztica?