PDA

View Full Version : Wand Quiver?!

Reaperess
2018-01-07, 12:56 PM
I was talking with a buddy of mine, and she had a pretty great idea concerning wands: craft a sheath designed to hold some specific number of wands, not unlike a quiver or a gun holster, but it can only hold up to 3 wands and can either be attached to a belt or strapped to the thigh.

I thought this might be a pretty neat thing. It's none magical, and could be an easy way to have access to your wands. Granted, it opens you up to wand theft a bit, but that's the risk, ya know?

Any idea what a reasonable craft check/item cost for something like this should be?

Xervous
2018-01-07, 01:00 PM
Unless there's some extra mechanical benefit of having the wands in such an arrangement I don't really see any issues with this. Basic craft check (DC 10) and a piddly cost for materials (bit of leather and the requisite binding materials, 2 silver tops?)

DeTess
2018-01-07, 01:03 PM
This sounds like a variant on the wand bracer (from dungeonscape pg 33 if google-fu serves), so I'd base it on that item.

MaxiDuRaritry
2018-01-07, 01:08 PM
There are a few items like this, such as the aforementioned wand bracer.

There's also the rod of many wands, which lets you fire off a ton of wands as a full round action.

The trigger phrase "abracapocalypse" is merely icing on the blitz-cake.

Reaperess
2018-01-07, 01:21 PM
Unless there's some extra mechanical benefit of having the wands in such an arrangement I don't really see any issues with this. Basic craft check (DC 10) and a piddly cost for materials (bit of leather and the requisite binding materials, 2 silver tops?) That's kinder than what I was expecting. I'm also pretty inexperienced when it comes to DM style ruling. I would have said "DC 15, cost 5 silver to 1 gold", but I also realize that I am a bit harsh on that front.

This sounds like a variant on the wand bracer (from dungeonscape pg 33 if google-fu serves), so I'd base it on that item. I'll Google that, but yeah, pretty much.

There are a few items like this, such as the aforementioned wand bracer.

There's also the rod of many wands, which lets you fire off a ton of wands as a full round action.

The trigger phrase "abracapocalypse" is merely icing on the blitz-cake.
That sounds pretty fun. :) I think she was suggesting it for things like buff spells and wand of cure X wounds. Still, that could be really really handy.

Vizzerdrix
2018-01-07, 01:23 PM
Faerun has a bandoleer. Just refluff that.

Deophaun
2018-01-07, 05:41 PM
There is a mechanical benefit. Depending on how you run them, an arrow might be a valid subject for a wand chamber. Now you do have a quiver of wands--within arrows--that you can draw as a free action.

Otherwise, as Vizzerdrix points out, I just use a bandoleer for that stuff.

MaxiDuRaritry
2018-01-07, 07:53 PM
There's also the wand-chamber weapon addition, from Dungeonscape. Note that it's entirely possible to use a wand as a weapon via a feat, and the minimum length of a weapon needed to install a wand-chamber is smaller than a wand.

Hence the wand chamber fandango (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showsinglepost.php?p=12872913&postcount=241).

Deophaun
2018-01-07, 09:28 PM
Hence the wand chamber fandango (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showsinglepost.php?p=12872913&postcount=241).
There is no feat in CPsi that does what is claimed in that link. I'm giving you the "dorje is a wand" as it is described as such in a single poorly-thought out sentence in ExP, which is all it takes.

More broadly speaking, I'm little miffed that a dorje is not actually a dorje in 3.5, as then you could use it as a weapon. But then, it wouldn't be a wand.

MaxiDuRaritry
2018-01-07, 09:36 PM
There is no feat in CPsi that does what is claimed in that link. I'm giving you the "dorje is a wand" as it is described as such in a single poorly-thought out sentence in ExP, which is all it takes.

More broadly speaking, I'm little miffed that a dorje is not actually a dorje in 3.5, as then you could use it as a weapon. But then, it wouldn't be a wand.There's a feat in Hyperconscious that does that. I think that Rubik might have misremembered the source for it. It's also a feat from the company that does PF psionics. (http://dsp-d20-srd.wikidot.com/dorje-blade)

Crake
2018-01-07, 11:21 PM
The efficient quiver (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicItems/wondrousItems.htm#efficientQuiver) can hold wands as if they were arrows, so I imagine you could literally just use one of the free quivers that comes with a bundle of 20 arrows, and just fit 20 wands into it?

Coventry
2018-01-07, 11:22 PM
I know that you were looking for non-magical items, but the Pathfinder magical item Efficient Quiver (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/magic-items/wondrous-items/wondrous-items/e-g/efficient-quiver/) comes in at 1800 gold, and has room for up to 60 wands ("same size and general shape as an arrow"), 6 staves, and maybe 18 metamagic rods (if the match "javelin" shape and size) - all of which can be quickly chosen from.

All of that suggests a non-magical wand holder should be fairly cheap, as you lose the magically enhanced selection.

D&D version has a slightly different name (Ehlonna's Quiver), but has been around since first edition AD&D.

ericgrau
2018-01-07, 11:58 PM
I was talking with a buddy of mine, and she had a pretty great idea concerning wands: craft a sheath designed to hold some specific number of wands, not unlike a quiver or a gun holster, but it can only hold up to 3 wands and can either be attached to a belt or strapped to the thigh.

I thought this might be a pretty neat thing. It's none magical, and could be an easy way to have access to your wands. Granted, it opens you up to wand theft a bit, but that's the risk, ya know?

Any idea what a reasonable craft check/item cost for something like this should be?

I agree with what others have said that it shouldn't be difficult to carry several wands to begin with.

I'll say 5 sp. I'm probably off by a bit, but in other words it's so cheap that adventurers shouldn't have to worry about the price.

ayvango
2018-01-08, 05:12 AM
I agree with what others have said that it shouldn't be difficult to carry several wands to begin with.

I'll say 5 sp. I'm probably off by a bit, but in other words it's so cheap that adventurers shouldn't have to worry about the price.
How much would it cost to cover the quiver with thin lead sheet inside?

Afgncaap5
2018-01-08, 01:05 PM
How much would it cost to cover the quiver with thin lead sheet inside?

According to Complete Scoundrel, 10 gold.

-Edit-

Though upon closer reading, it adds the caveat that this must be done at the time the quiver is created. I imagine it costs more to fit it with lead later.