PDA

View Full Version : DM Help Favored of Ehlonna template!

Thanos92
2018-01-07, 01:50 PM
Hi all!
One of my players, playing a ranger (7th level), has recently lost his animal companion. He generally loves me to surprise him with special subquests and findings. He doesn't look for an animal, I make him find one. This time I'd like to introduce ad animal linked to Ehlonna (narrative reasons).
How would you build a "Favored of Ehlonna" template? It must not be too strong, he's a Ranger 7, not a druid or something else, but I accept it to be a bit stronger than animals in his list.

Thanks!

weckar
2018-01-08, 09:41 AM
To be 100% clear, this is a template for the animal and not the Ranger, yes?

DEMON
2018-01-08, 09:57 AM
How would you build a "Favored of Ehlonna" template? It must not be too strong, he's a Ranger 7, not a druid or something else, but I accept it to be a bit stronger than animals in his list.

Make it a magical beast instead of animal, but still allow the ranger to use his skills and class abilities on it as if it was animal, similar to how Cooshee works for Elven Rangers.

This will give the companion d10 HD and full BAB compared to animal's d8 HD and 3/4 BAB. Possibly also darkvision.

I also feel obliged to point out that going further up in levels, Ranger's AC will turn more and more into endangered species with every level appropriate encounter even with this slight improvement.

Fouredged Sword
2018-01-08, 10:36 AM
I would just up and give him a unicorn. Upgrade it by giving it cleric levels as it slowly turns into a celestial charger. Base the extra hd as a druid level -3 companion. Let it count as an animal for all skill and class features of the ranger.

Her sign is a unicorn. If she wanted to send someone a companion as a special blessing it would be a unicorn.

PrismCat21
2018-01-08, 10:59 AM
I would just up and give him a unicorn. Upgrade it by giving it cleric levels as it slowly turns into a celestial charger. Base the extra hd as a druid level -3 companion. Let it count as an animal for all skill and class features of the ranger.

Her sign is a unicorn. If she wanted to send someone a companion as a special blessing it would be a unicorn.

+1 to this. Especially the making it stronger part :)

Bullet06320
2018-01-08, 11:07 AM
http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?448029-Post-Your-Chosen-Templates-Here

you can use this post as a guide, its has a template for creating your own