PDA

View Full Version : What Characters to Complete this Party?

the_brazenburn
2018-01-07, 03:20 PM
My party is about to begin a new Atlantis-themed campaign, and we have one, and possibly even two new players joining. Since both are new to the game, it is likely that I will be helping to make their characters for them.

The rest of the party is a halfling glamour bard, a half-orc wolfbarian, a lizardfolk war mage, and a human nature cleric. All characters will be at 5th level.

With this in mind, what kind of characters would you suggest I make?

hellgrammite
2018-01-07, 03:25 PM
Plane Shift: Zendiker > Merfolk Race and pick a Druid. You can be a bit of a tank by wildshaping, and have some unique magic. Everybody loves a shark that lies to people.

After that, a Triton fighter.

Quoxis
2018-01-07, 03:28 PM
As in most such cases: don’t look at classes, look at roles.
You‘ve got a wolfbarian who has to be a frontline fighter, you‘ve got multiple mages, but that could mean blasters or supporters or controllers or... anything really.
If your nature cleric isn’t a frontliner too, you might need a second one to combine with your wolfbarian, if none of the casters are supporters you might feel the need to be one. What about your groups skills?

Requilac
2018-01-07, 03:33 PM
My party is about to begin a new Atlantis-themed campaign, and we have one, and possibly even two new players joining. Since both are new to the game, it is likely that I will be helping to make their characters for them.

The rest of the party is a halfling glamour bard, a half-orc wolfbarian, a lizardfolk war mage, and a human nature cleric. All characters will be at 5th level.

With this in mind, what kind of characters would you suggest I make?

Atlantis themed you say, does that mean underwater? If so then a druid is a crucial component of any underwater campaign. What is the fun of being aquatic if you can't be a wereshark? A way of the four elements work that focuses on water-based spells could also be useful and thematically appropriate. A conquest paladin who lives as a pirate captain or a crown paladin who serves as a naval captain could also be quite interesting to see in play. A storm or sea sorcerer is a given of course too. And it would be blasphemy to not include a GOOlock who worships a cthulhu-esque creature after all!

the_brazenburn
2018-01-07, 03:34 PM
As in most such cases: don’t look at classes, look at roles.
You‘ve got a wolfbarian who has to be a frontline fighter, you‘ve got multiple mages, but that could mean blasters or supporters or controllers or... anything really.
If your nature cleric isn’t a frontliner too, you might need a second one to combine with your wolfbarian, if none of the casters are supporters you might feel the need to be one. What about your groups skills?

The barb is most definitely front-line. My bard is pretty control-based, with lots of enchantments and such. The cleric, I assume, will be a healer rather than a fighter. The war mage is full-on blaster, with enough abjuration spells (and homebrew proficiency in greatclubs and shields) to help out the barbarian in melee.

If anything, we might need a skirmisher or sneaky guy. I was supposed to cover that role, but it turns out that I didn't prepare Invisibility or even take proficiency in Stealth.

Honest Tiefling
2018-01-07, 03:50 PM
I'd prepare a druid as others suggested, a pirate (boarding ships of outsiders to steal their things seems like it might come up), a warlock, and a something else. The first one is just so darn thematically appropriate and can be quickly adjusted to the player's taste. The second is just useful, since you have no skill monkey and everyone loves a pirate. Warlocks are pretty darn flavorful and I assume you have some underwater deities or spirits to lend a pact that isn't infernal in nature. Having a second blaster for when you need a second frontliner can't be bad either.

The something else should be something you think will appeal to them. I assume you've met them and have some idea of their taste. Just make something similar to a character they've liked and try to ease them in that way.

Mortis_Elrod
2018-01-07, 04:05 PM
I’m thinking a Dragonborn Undying Patton Bladelock. Next level gives you partial undead, aka you don’t need to eat sleep or breathe. Which means you can go underwater without worry. Pick up improved pact weapon, Eldritch smite and Thirsting Blade.

Other options are Triton something maybe rogue? Lizardfolk monk or ranger. Idk how many aqua options there are. Scag has aquatic elves right ? Put rogue on that.

the_brazenburn
2018-01-07, 04:17 PM
I’m thinking a Dragonborn Undying Patton Bladelock. Next level gives you partial undead, aka you don’t need to eat sleep or breathe. Which means you can go underwater without worry. Pick up improved pact weapon, Eldritch smite and Thirsting Blade.

Other options are Triton something maybe rogue? Lizardfolk monk or ranger. Idk how many aqua options there are. Scag has aquatic elves right ? Put rogue on that.

We'll do the sea elf rogue. By the way, the adventure takes place before Atlantis sinks, so if all goes well underwater breathing won't be necessary.

Any other ideas, non-campaign-specific?