PDA

View Full Version : "Happy Stick" a.k.a. Wand of Cure Wounds

Arkhios
2018-01-07, 04:25 PM
I 'brewed on the fly and gave a wand like this to my group since they lacked a dedicated healer and the only one at the time who could heal was an artificer and had very limited amount of spell slots at his disposal as a 1/3 caster.

1d10+1 charges
regains 1d10+1 charge at each dawn
if last charge is used the user must roll 1d20. if they roll 1, the wand turns to dust.

casts a 2nd-level cure wounds per charge.

should the wand have an innate modifier (+3 as I said it would, but that aligns with the Artificer's modifier) or should the user's modifier affect the result?

also, what would its rarity be?

Kane0
2018-01-07, 04:28 PM
Probably rare. Can you also soend more cjarges to upcast?
Variable max charges is a bit wierd but otherwise seems OK

holywhippet
2018-01-07, 04:38 PM
Compare it to a staff of healing which is in the book. It seems a bit stronger in terms of casting cure light wounds but doesn't cover the other spells. I'd give it about the same rarity - rare. Use the artificers spell modifier for the bonus.

Arkhios
2018-01-07, 05:24 PM
Probably rare. Can you also soend more cjarges to upcast?
Variable max charges is a bit wierd but otherwise seems OK
I'm thinking that it can't upcast the spell.

Compare it to a staff of healing which is in the book. It seems a bit stronger in terms of casting cure light wounds but doesn't cover the other spells. I'd give it about the same rarity - rare. Use the artificers spell modifier for the bonus.
Yeah, I'm leaning towards the user's modifier as well. Minor nitpick, there's no cure light wounds. just cure wounds xP

holywhippet
2018-01-07, 07:11 PM
I'm thinking that it can't upcast the spell.

Yeah, I'm leaning towards the user's modifier as well. Minor nitpick, there's no cure light wounds. just cure wounds xP

Yep, my mistake. Keep in mind that upcasting is actually worse than multiple individual casts since you apply your modifier only once.

Gardakan
2018-01-07, 07:40 PM
Cast Cure Wounds at 1st-level.

Let them use more charges if they need a good chunk of healing in short amount of time (like a round). Max it out to 3-4-5 th level spell slot.

BobZan
2018-01-08, 06:07 AM
Casting 2nd level spells with 1d10+1 charges/day.

I think it's a very rare wand.

JellyPooga
2018-01-08, 06:45 AM
Let's take a look;

1) No. of Charges. All the Wands in the DMG have either 3 (recharging 1d3/day) or 7 (recharging 1d6+1/day) max charges. If this is going to be a Wand, fit the pattern. If you want more, make it a Staff.

2) Spells. You want it to cast Cure Wounds as a 2nd level spell (only). This is slightly unusual, as Cure Wounds is a 1st level spell. If you really want to be able to upcast it, I would make it 1 charge to cast Cure Wounds (1st level), spending one additional charge per level higher (max 3rd, so as not to compete with the Staff of Healing). That said, I would personally limit it to 1st level Cure Wounds only and I would only give it 3 charges (1d3/day recharge). The Staff of Healing is there for upcasting Cure Wounds and this is a stop-gap to fill a role that this party lacks; it shouldn't be doing that great a job of it. You could, if you really want to add something extra, add the Spare the Dying cantrip as a freebie.

3) Spellcasting mod. All Wands have a DC of 15. Assuming Wands are made primarily by Tier 2+ characters (prof bonus +4), and using the standard 8+prof+ability formula, that leaves a casting mod of +3. Seems reasonable. Staves use their wielders ability scores, so don't do that unless you want to make this a Staff.

4) Attunement. You didn't mention who, if anyone, can or can't attune this item. Right off the bat, I'd say this Wand requires attunement by a spellcaster. Lowering that requirement to "requires attunement" or even to not require attunement, would increase its rarity.

5) Rarity. This puppy is Rare. At least. My "1st level only, 3 charges" version is probably Uncommon.

Arkhios
2018-01-08, 07:15 AM
You have fair points. Let's see them answered one by one:

1) No. of Charges. All the Wands in the DMG have either 3 (recharging 1d3/day) or 7 (recharging 1d6+1/day) max charges. If this is going to be a Wand, fit the pattern. If you want more, make it a Staff.
Hmm. I made it on the fly, but I seem to have mixed wands and staffs. I'm AFB: what if it was a rod instead? How would that change things, if at all?

2) Spells. You want it to cast Cure Wounds as a 2nd level spell (only). This is slightly unusual, as Cure Wounds is a 1st level spell. If you really want to be able to upcast it, I would make it 1 charge to cast Cure Wounds (1st level), spending one additional charge per level higher (max 3rd, so as not to compete with the Staff of Healing). That said, I would personally limit it to 1st level Cure Wounds only and I would only give it 3 charges (1d3/day recharge). The Staff of Healing is there for upcasting Cure Wounds and this is a stop-gap to fill a role that this party lacks; it shouldn't be doing that great a job of it. You could, if you really want to add something extra, add the Spare the Dying cantrip as a freebie.
I'm aware that Cure Wounds is a 1st-level spell. Being able to cast 2nd level Cure Wounds was probably a mistake, but it felt appropriate at the time, considering that they hadn't managed to take a rest since the last time and they were running low on both resources and hit dice. I suppose the wand could've been weakened by the events that forced them into the Shadowfell and to the borders of Barovia.

3) Spellcasting mod. All Wands have a DC of 15. Assuming Wands are made primarily by Tier 2+ characters (prof bonus +4), and using the standard 8+prof+ability formula, that leaves a casting mod of +3. Seems reasonable. Staves use their wielders ability scores, so don't do that unless you want to make this a Staff.
Point taken. However, a question still stands: What if it was a rod instead? Could it then use the wielder's ability score?

4) Attunement. You didn't mention who, if anyone, can or can't attune this item. Right off the bat, I'd say this Wand requires attunement by a spellcaster. Lowering that requirement to "requires attunement" or even to not require attunement, would increase its rarity.
I forgot the attunement completely. Admittedly, I might have been a bit inebriated at the time... I think it should definitely require an attunement by a spellcaster able to cast Cure Wounds in the first place. Would that be reasonable?

5) Rarity. This puppy is Rare. At least. My "1st level only, 3 charges" version is probably Uncommon.
All in all, good points. I might re-design it further.

---
How's this for a Rod?
Gift of Life
Very Rare, requires attunement by a spellcaster cabable of casting Cure Wounds or Revivify.
This rod can have up to 7 charges and regains 1d6+1 charges daily at Dawn. If the last charge is used, the wielder must roll a 1d20. On a roll of 1, the rod is destroyed and vanishes in a burst of light.
The wielder can cast the cantrip Spare the Dying at will. The wielder can also expend one charge to cast a 1st-level Cure Wounds or three charges to cast a 2nd-level Cure Wounds.
Alternatively, the wielder can expend all the remaining charges (minimum 5) to cast Revivify, risking the rod's destruction in the process.
Gift of Life uses a spellcasting modifier of +3 unless the wielder's modifier is higher.

BobZan
2018-01-08, 07:40 AM
Pretty good now. For a Very Rare wand I would make it cast a 3rd level with 3 charges. And 3 or 4 charges for Revivify.

Arkhios
2018-01-08, 07:49 AM
Pretty good now. For a Very Rare wand I would make it cast a 3rd level with 3 charges. And 3 or 4 charges for Revivify.

I chose to leave 3rd-level cure wounds out because Revivify is a 3rd level spell as well. With the chance of being destroyed by casting Revivify, would it be more reasonable to be Rare instead of Very Rare?

JellyPooga
2018-01-08, 08:11 AM
I chose to leave 3rd-level cure wounds out because Revivify is a 3rd level spell as well. With the chance of being destroyed by casting Revivify, would it be more reasonable to be Rare instead of Very Rare?

Looks good to me. It's certainly on the cusp of Rare to V.Rare; it's your call really. That said, with its attunement requirements and chance of destruction, plus three charges for a 2nd level Cure, I'd probably err towards Rare myself. Compared to the Staff of Healing (Rare), it's got ups and downs, but it's probably about the same.

Kane0
2018-01-08, 05:28 PM
Easiest way I can think of would be to take a Wand of Missiles and swap the spell to Cure Wounds.

SociopathFriend
2018-01-08, 05:30 PM
I prefer the Healing Shiv. The pain in your back lets you know it works.

Malifice
2018-01-08, 10:50 PM
I 'brewed on the fly and gave a wand like this to my group since they lacked a dedicated healer and the only one at the time who could heal was an artificer and had very limited amount of spell slots at his disposal as a 1/3 caster.

Pretty OP item.

Any reason they cant just use Healing potions (or all rarities)?

At 50gp a pop they arent that expensive, particularly due to 5E's high levels of treasure.

Also; Hit Dice are a thing.

Arkhios
2018-01-08, 11:36 PM
Pretty OP item.

Any reason they cant just use Healing potions (or all rarities)?

At 50gp a pop they arent that expensive, particularly due to 5E's high levels of treasure.

Also; Hit Dice are a thing.

1) stop that condescending attitude right there. I know my 5e just fine. Yes, Hit Dice are a thing but they were running low as well.
2) all of their healing potions were in the possession of one particularly greedy and selfish character and in combat he could share them only so many at a time.
3) Healing Potions might be inexpensive but being able to buy them assumes there's someone selling them. The character mentioned above stole a bunch from a storage while the others were not looking and so the others don't really know how many there are. At the time the whole place (where they were) was crawling with undead and they had no chance to go on a shopping spree. Plus, since everyone else were given treasures I had to drop something for the artificer as well. I had forgotten to make something in advance so I made the wand in a hurry within 1 minute or so to fill a certain need. It may well may have been a bit OP at first, but I can still alter how the item actually works before the next session.

JBPuffin
2018-01-08, 11:48 PM
Honestly? The Wand of Cure Wounds should be the Wand of Cure Wounds. Your original idea was the best of the bunch; stick with it. Don't worry about rarity (you're the DM - unless you're trying to publish this item, it's in your right to give out items that don't follow 5e convention), use proficiency bonus as the mod to healing (you say they need a way to heal, give them full mileage), and keep going.

Malifice
2018-01-09, 12:31 AM
1) stop that condescending attitude right there. I know my 5e just fine. Yes, Hit Dice are a thing but they were running low as well.

You asked if the item was OP.

It is.

2) all of their healing potions were in the possession of one particularly greedy and selfish character and in combat he could share them only so many at a time.

Thats an even bigger problem. 5E is a team game. Sounds like you're playing with a douche.

You're the DM. Id put a stop to that behaviour personally.

3) Healing Potions might be inexpensive but being able to buy them assumes there's someone selling them. The character mentioned above stole a bunch from a storage while the others were not looking and so the others don't really know how many there are. At the time the whole place (where they were) was crawling with undead and they had no chance to go on a shopping spree. Plus, since everyone else were given treasures I had to drop something for the artificer as well. I had forgotten to make something in advance so I made the wand in a hurry within 1 minute or so to fill a certain need. It may well may have been a bit OP at first, but I can still alter how the item actually works before the next session.

Decanter of endless healing. Uncommon. While attuned to this jug you can insert coins, gems or other expensive materials such as jewelry, and charge the decanter with a single charge. The valuable materials expended are consumed, and the decanter distills 1 ounce of fluid per 50gp expended (to a maxium of 10 ounces).

As an action you can drink an ounce and heal 2d4+2 HP.

Arkhios
2018-01-09, 01:17 AM
You asked if the item was OP.

It is.
Fair enough. Still, I repeat, I know the rules well enough and don't need to be told that "hit dice are a thing"

Thats an even bigger problem. 5E is a team game. Sounds like you're playing with a douche.

You're the DM. Id put a stop to that behaviour personally.
I allowed the players to play evil characters right from the start since the campaign was set in a wretched hive of crimes and debauchery, and all sorts of people could find their place in there. It was my choice to do so, no one forced me to do it. It might not have been what you would've done, but I did, and I stand with that decision. The players are mature enough to deal with it between themselves if they feel so. I know the player in question is not a douche. It's just this character, I can assure you that.

Decanter of endless healing. Uncommon. While attuned to this jug you can insert coins, gems or other expensive materials such as jewelry, and charge the decanter with a single charge. The valuable materials expended are consumed, and the decanter distills 1 ounce of fluid per 50gp expended (to a maxium of 10 ounces).

As an action you can drink an ounce and heal 2d4+2 HP.
Eh, I dunno. I'll probably just stick with the wand, but tune it down to match a Wand of Magic Missiles instead, as Kane0 suggested.

Malifice
2018-01-09, 01:33 AM
Fair enough. Still, I repeat, I know the rules well enough and don't need to be told that "hit dice are a thing"

You're the DM. How many short rests are the PCs getting between long rests on (median) average?

2-3?

Figuring a long rest (and full HP recovery) every 6 encounters, plus a short rest every 2nd encounter top spend HD, I dont ever see healing being an issue.

Plus pretty much every class has healing available (Bards, Paladins, Clerics, Druids, Rangers all have cure wounds spell, as do several other archetypes like a few Warlocks, Divine soul sorc etc). Second wind, lay on hands are also things, plus there is always the healer feat.

If none of them can be bothered taking the Healer feat, or covering the healer role, screw them. They get what they deserve.

Thats just my opinion of course.

I allowed the players to play evil characters right from the start since the campaign was set in a wretched hive of crimes and debauchery, and all sorts of people could find their place in there. It was my choice to do so, no one forced me to do it. It might not have been what you would've done, but I did, and I stand with that decision. The players are mature enough to deal with it between themselves if they feel so. I know the player in question is not a douche. It's just this character, I can assure you that.

Oh I play evil PCs all the time, and DM plenty of evil campaigns.

My personal verdict in such games (as DM and Player) is 'screw them'. I wouldnt be bending over backwards to help them with healing.

As a player, I would simply bash in the head of the PC who is hogging the potions, and/ or crucify him to set an example to others, and take them by force.

Unless you disalow PvP in an evil campaign. Which is (of course) encouraging his behaviour (he can be a douche to the other players, assured he'll get away with it because they cant retaliate).