PDA

View Full Version : Optimization 3.5 cleric build help

jdizzlean
2018-01-08, 03:14 AM
Cleric 3/Church Inquisitor 6/KotR 9/Saint (LA +2)

Name: Bloodwing Kyrish
Race: LG Male Illumian 40 Years Old, 6’1” 200# Electric Blue eyes, Bald
Deity: St. Cuthbert, Member in good standing of the Church of the Scales of Balance
Languages: Common, Celestial, Illumian

STR 17
DEX 13
CON 15
INT 12
WIS 17
CHA 14
(4,8,12 into CHA, 16,20 into WIS)

HD: d8x18

Build progression is as stated above for ease: Cleric 3, Church Inquisitor 6, Knight of the Raven 9 which equals 18 levels. The saint template is a +2 LA, and can be inserted anywhere on the path.
Stats were rolled 4d6 drop lowest.

It takes 3 exalted feats along w/ some other things to be eligible for the Saint Template. The two feats I have listed below for 3 and 6 could be replaced w/ 2 exalted, and the third being taken at 9, which then means I could apply the Saint template at 10-11, and then finish off w/ KotR. (Also, my DM would probably laugh if I tried to take Pious Soul, so that’s probably off the board anyways /sad panda) I think that’s the earliest I could qualify, short of only doing exalted feats from creation, or going w/ Human instead of Illumian. I like Illumian for the bonus’s it gives via sigils as well as the interaction w/ Glyphic Resonance as the racial ability (and I generally want a fluffier race then human for builds I’m actually going to play!)

My intent is to play a fanatical do-gooder undeath slayer, into melee beatstickery and not mounted combat. Intimidate is more important than Diplomacy. You WILL do what I tell you to do, not what I’m asking you to do. The cross of St Cuthbert, and the Scales of Balance will be encrusted, emblazoned on every piece of armor I wear, there’ll be no hiding what I am.

What I need help with, is theme appropriate feats to take at X levels, as well as some help on spell selection. I have very limited experience playing casters past a certain point. For the diehard who will rip this apart, I screwed up on the skill points, but it’s not important at this point, consider what’s posted as a general guideline to how the progression would be. If you have thoughts on that, post away as well.

I have my eye on a few magic items, but again, any help on that front would be nice as well.
Crystal Mask of Dread- +10 to intimidate
War Cross of St Cuthbert-turn attempts, or mind affecting spells at +1 caster lvl
Ring of Avoidance- 3x/day +20 AC/1 round
Skin of Ectoplasmic Armor +8 AC (does that stack w/ half/full plate?)

Gear enhancements that seem a good idea:
Weapon: Collision, Vampiric
Armor: Retaliation (whenever you take 10+ dmg, deal 1d6 back, if dropped below 0hp, deal 3d6 back)
Greater Healing - 2x/day 3d8+15hp, if dropped below 0hp, casts automatically

Build Table

Level
Class
Base Attack Bonus
Fort Save
Ref Save
Will Save
Skills
Feats
Class Features

1st
Cleric 1
+0
+2
+0
+2
Knowledge Arcana 4, Knowledge Religion 4, Spellcraft 4
Law Devotion
Turn Undead, Spells

2nd
Cleric 2
+1
+3
+0
+3
Concentration 1, Heal 1, Intimidate .5
-
-

3rd
Cleric 3
+2
+3
+1
+3
Conc 2, Heal 2, Intimidate 1
?
-

4th
Church Inquisitor 1
+2
+3
+1
+5
Conc 4, Intimidate 3, Sense Motive 1
-
Detect Evil at will, Inquisition Domain, +1 SC

5th
Church Inquisitor 2
+3
+3
+1
+6
Conc 5, Intim 5, Sense Motive 4, Spot 1
-
Immune to Charms, +1 SC

6th
Church Inquisitor 3
+4
+4
+2
+6
Conc 6, Intim 7, Sense Motive 5, Spot 2
?
Pierce Illusion, +1 SC

7th
Church Inquisitor 4
+5
+4
+2
+7
Conc 7, Intim 8, Sense 6, Spot 3
-
Pierce Disguise, +1 SC

8th
Church Inquisitor 5
+5
+4
+2
+7
Conc 8, Intim 9, Sense 7, Spot 4
-
Immune to Compulsion, +1 SC

9th
Church Inquisitor 6
+6
+5
+3
+8
Conc 9, Intim 10, Sense 8, Spot 5
?
Force Shapechange, +1 SC

10th
Knight of the Raven 1
+7
+7
+3
+10
Conc 10, Intim 11
-
Raven Harrier (harry), Speak w/ Ravens

11th
KotR 2
+8
+8
+3
+11
Intim 12, Spot 6
-
Smite Undead 1/day, +1 SC

12th
KotR 3
+9
+8
+4
+11
Intim 13, Spot 7
?
Turn Undead, Sun Domain, Raven Harrier (baffle), +1 SC

13th
KotR 4
+10
+9
+4
+12
Intim 14, Spot 8
-
Light Focus, Smite 2/day, +1 SC

14th
KotR 5
+11
+9
+4
+12
Intim 15, Spot 9
-
Raven Harrier (falter), Enduring Life, +1 SC

15th
KotR 6
+x12
+10
+5
+13
Intim 16, Spot 10
?
Smite 3/day, +1 SC

16th
KotR 7
+13
+10
+5
+13
Intim 17, Spot 11
-
Raven Harrier (channel spell), +1 SC

17th
KotR 8
+14
+11
+5
+14
Intim 18, Spot 12
-
Lasting Life, Smite 4/day, +1 SC

18th
KotR 9
+15
+11
+6
+14
Intim 19, Spot 13
?
Raven Harrier (sight link), +1 SC

Build Features:

To avoid rampant page turning, here's the general gist of it all

Power sigil: Krau - +1 bonus to caster lvl for all spells and spell like abilities
@ 2nd lvl: gain Power Sigil: Hoon - +2 bonus to WIS checks, CON checks, and WIS/CON based skill checks
@2nd lvl Krau bonus to +2 bonus to caster lvl for all spells and spell like abilities
@ 2nd lvl gain Illumian Word: Hoonkrau - spend a turn undead attempt as a swift action to add 1d8 to a cure spell, or 1d8 to damage dealt by an inflict spell before the end of next turn, usable 2x/day

+2 on saves vs spells w/ the shadow descriptor
Turn Undead
Simple Weapon Proficiency
L/M/H Armor Proficiency
Shield Proficiency (except tower)
Aura

Glyphic Resonace (Ex): (all spells whose names contain the word glyph, rune, sigil) When an illumian encounters such mugic, one of two things happens: Either the illumian's resonance overpowers the spell, or the foreign magic corrupts the mystical lanugage that defines the illumian. Illumians have a -4 racial penalty on saving throws against these effects if their level is less than the caster level of the spell. If an illumian's level equals or exceeds the spell's caster level, she is immune to the effect.

Church Inquisitor:
Immunity to Charms: Immune to all enchantment (charm) spells and effects
Pierce Illusion: Immediately make a will save against illusions or disguises as an SNA at will, visual contact is enough, need not interact otherwise
Pierce Disguise: +4 competence bonus on Spot against the Disguise skill
Immune to Compulsion:
Force Shapechange: make a successful melee touch attack, then make a CL check as if casting Dispel Magic against the shapechanging effect. This ability undoes Alter Self, Polymorph, Shapechange and alternate form abilities whether Ex, SLA or Su in nature. Effected creature can’t change shape again for 1d6 rounds. Can use at will.

Knight of the Raven:
Raven Harrier: call a celestial Raven into service. Stats normal for MM278 with celestial template MM 31 applied. HP equals ½ your normal total. Raven uses your base saves plus it’s modifiers 0,2,2. INT score of 3. Never provokes AoO. If killed, a replacement appears at next dawn. You suffer no penalty for your raven falling in battle.

Harry: as a swift action, distract a single opponent w/in 30 ft of you. Raven enters the opponent’s space. Target must make WILL save DC 10+1/2 class level +CHA. If fails, opponent takes -2 penalty to AC for 1 round.

Baffle: If at the start of your opponent’s turn, the raven is in it’s space, opponent makes same Will save. If fails, opponent can’t make AoO for one round.

Falter: if the Raven is in it’s space, that opponent provokes AoO from threatening foes even when it takes a 5ft step. The Raven automatically follows the target if it takes a 5ft step.

Channel Spell: As long as you have line of sight, you can channel spells through your raven. Increase casting time as follows: Free/Move/Swift/Immediate now take a standard Action. Standard becomes Full round. Other spells remain unchanged. A channeled spell is treated as though the Raven is the caster for range purposes.

Sight Link: as a full round action, see through the Raven’s eyes for that round. After this you are fatigued. Cast at will. If use while fatigued you become exhausted.

Speak w/ Ravens: ability to speak w/ Ravens including familiars. If a Raven has an INT above 2, you can communicate w/ it as w/ a stupid human. If it’s INT is 1 or 2, treat this as Speak with Animals spell without a duration.
Turn Undead: as a cleric 2 lvls lower. Add Cleric levels from previous classes. (CL 17 at lvl 20)
Sun Domain: Granted Power – Greater Turning 1/day
Light Focus: Any spell cast with the Light descriptor can be augmented in one of the following ways:
Double the illumination, and treat as 1 lvl higher for countering or dispelling Darkness spells
Increase saving DC by +2
Increase your CL by 1
Enduring Life: gain this as a bonus feat (page 200)
Lasting Life: gain this as a bonus feat (page 200)

Granted Powers:
Destruction Domain- Smite - 1x/day gain +4 on attack rolls, and +dmg at cleric lvl
Law domain - +1 caster lvl for LAW descriptors
Inquisition Domain- +4 to Dispel Magic Checks
Sun Domain- Greater Turning 1/day (destroy instead of turn)

FEATS:

General chicanery like multiple nightsticks is unlikely, so extra turning might have to be used beyond the 1st such of any kind of +turn attempts items.

1 – LAW DEVOTION: once per day as a swift action you can summon the power of law to assist you. Gain a +3 sacred bonus to hit, or to AC until your next action. At the beginning of your next action you can reallocate the bonus if desired. Lasts for 1 minute. Increase to +5 at 10th lvl, +7 at 15th. Expend 3 turn undead uses to gain another use of this ability.
3 - TOUCH OF HEALING [RESERVE (feat)] Comp Chamion pg 62
You can channel divine energy into healing with a touch. Prerequisite: Ability to cast 2nd-level spells. Benefit: As long as you have a conjuration (healing) spell of 2nd level or higher available to cast, you can spend a standard action to touch a target creature and heal 3 points of damage per level of the highest-level conjuration (healing) spell you have available to cast. You can use this ability only on a target that has been reduced to one-half or fewer of its total hit points. The effect ends once you've healed the subject up to half its normal maximum hit points. This ability has no effect on creatures that can't be healed by cure spells. As a secondary benefit, you gain a +1 competence bonus to your caster level when casting conjuration (healing) spells.
6 – PIOUS SOUL (comp Divine 86): You can spend a faith point to add 1d6 to any attack/save/check, even after you roll, but before the DM announces success or failure. You can spend more then 1 point at a time in this way. Gain 4 faith points upon taking this feat.

Exalted Feats:
Empower Turning (comp divine 81) after adding cleric lvl and CHA to your damage roll, multiply by 1.5
Exalted Turning (BoED 42) any undead successfully turned also take 3d6 dmg
Gift of Faith (BoED 43) +2 bonus on saving throws to resist fear/despair or similar effects
Touch of Golden Ice (BoED 47) when you touch an evil creature it is ravaged by Golden Ice (p35)

Saint Template:

BoED 185:
Change Type to outsider, AC insight bonus equal to WIS bonus
Holy Power: +2 to DC of all special attacks, spells, SLAs, SNAs, and Ex abilities.
Holy Touch: Any melee attack deals an extra 1d6 holy damage against evil creatures, and 1d8 against evil undead or outsiders. Any natural weapon attack against the Saint by an evil creature results in holy damage as if struck by saint’s attack.
SLA: At will: Guidance, Resistance, Virtue, Bless. CL equals total HD, DC’s are CHA based
DR: by HD total: 1-3 = 0, 4-7 = 5/magic, 8-11 = 5/evil, 12+ 10/evil
Fast Healing: each round heal ½ HD in damage (max 10)
Immunities: Acid, Cold, Electricity, Petrification
Keen Vision: Low-Light and Darkvision 60 ft
Protective Aura: as a free action, surround yourself w/ a nimbus of Light w/ a radius of 20ft. Acts as Double strength Magic Circle Against Evil, and a Lesser Globe of Invulnerability, both cast by a Cleric of Saints HD.
Resistances: Fire 10, +4 Fort saves vs Poison
Tongues: speak w/ any creature that has a language as though casting Tongues as a 14th lvl Cleric, always active.
Abilities: +2 CON and WIS, +4 CHA
LA +2

SPELLS:

Spells per Day/Spells Known
just base shown, not bonus spells/day

Level
0lvl
1st
2nd
3rd
4th
5th
6th
7th
8th
9th

1st
1+1
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-

2nd
2+1
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-

3rd
2+1
1+1
-
-
-
-
-
-
-

4th
3+1
2+1
-
-
-
-
-
-
-

5th
3+1
2+1
1+1
-
-
-
-
-
-

6th
3+1
3+1
2+1
-
-
-
-
-
-

7th
4+1
3+1
2+1
1+1
-
-
-
-
-

8th
4+1
3+1
3+1
2+1
-
-
-
-
-

9th
4+1
4+1
3+1
2+1
1+1
-
-
-
-

10th
4+1
4+1
3+1
2+1
1+1
-
-
-
-

11th
4+1
4+1
3+1
3+1
2+1
-
-
-
-

12th
5+1
4+1
4+1
3+1
2+1
1+1
-
-
-

13th
5+1
4+1
4+1
3+1
3+1
2+1
-
-
-

14th
5+1
5+1
4+1
4+1
3+1
2+1
1+1
-
-

15th
5+1
5+1
4+1
4+1
-3+1
3+1
2+1
-
-

16th
5+1
5+1
5+1
4+1
4+1
3+1
2+1
1+1
-

17th
5+1
5+1
5+1
4+1
4+1
3+1
3+1
2+1
-

18th
5+1
5+1
5+1
5+1
4+1
4+1
3+1
2+1
1+1

19th
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-

20th
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-

Sources:

PHB 30
Comp Champion 21, 62, 135
Comp Divine 26
Expedition to Castle Ravenloft 201
Book of Exalted Deeds 185
and undoubtedly some things I forgot to write down 

noob
2018-01-08, 04:50 AM
Can you get la buyoff?
Even without buyoff saint is a cool template.
Starcloack mantle+dip in divine oracle gives immunity to all the weapons(even while in heavy armor) as long as you can do a dc15 reflex save which is cool.(get the pride domain or something like that for taking only one attack every 400 hits)
Basically it is better than infinity ac since infinity ac will still have opponents hit you on a natural 20 and make a crit against you with two natural 20.(while with that thing even if you do not take pride domain on average only one attack on 400 will be a crit and if you take the pride domain only one attack on 8000 will be a crit and that is assuming the opponent automatically hits)

jdizzlean
2018-01-08, 05:21 AM
probably not on LA buyoff, but I don't know. We get +1LA free at creation, maybe I can swing it down to +1LA later on instead, thus reducing Saint to only +1 which wouldn't be to bad, the 10th lvl class ability of KotR is pretty sick.

starmantle is pretty nifty, but we're generally in a lower WBL game, so 132k gold seems unreachable until pretty late in the game.

I see divine oracle, but I'm not seeing the corollary between it and starmantle

noob
2018-01-08, 06:03 AM
Some readings says that since that spell halves the damage from a weapon on a successful save then evasion allows to take no damage at all on a successful save.

jdizzlean
2018-01-09, 10:15 PM
bueller?

bueller?

Darrin
2018-01-10, 09:55 AM
Feats:

First things first, what is your position on Divine Metamagic? Are you down with persisting divine powah, cloud of knives, freedom of movement, etc.? If so, then: Extend Spell (3rd), Persist Spell (6th), DMM (9th), Extra Turning (12th), Extra Turning (15th), Extra Turning (18th).

If you're ok with DMM but don't want to cheese out with Persist Spell, then how about Smiting Spell (1st), DMM (3rd), Extra Turning (6th), Sacred Vengeance (9th, CWar), Sacred Vitality (12th, Libris Mortis), Retrieve Spell (15th, CChamp), MOAR Turning (18th).

Otherwise... I'd suggest taking Sun Devotion for +1 damage/character level against undead. It's sorta "Craven for Curbstomping Undead". Also, you get the Sun Domain power from Knight of the Raven 3, so you get to enjoy the benefits of both the Devotion and Domain power.

After that... Ancestral Relic (3rd, BoED) to make your own custom undead-smitin' boomstick. Divine Defiance (6th, FCII) because it goes really well with the Inquisition domain. 9th would be good for a reserve feat... but I'm not sure I'd go with Touch of Healing? I mean, wand of lesser vigor is only 750 GP. Lots of utility in Summon Elemental, although it doesn't quite fit your theme. Although if you want to focus on healing, then Sacred Boost and Augment Healing might go really well with Touch of Healing. Imbued Healing adds +2 damage bonus via the Destruction domain. You're probably going to need Extra Turning in there somewhere... maybe Touch of Healing (9th), Extra Turning (12th), Sacred Boost (15th), Augment Healing/Imbued Healing (18th)?

Another option... take Foe Hunter: Demons (PGtF) at 1st to get Favored Enemy: Demons. This allows you to take Extra Favored Enemy: Undead (3rd, MotW), followed by Nemesis (6th, BoED). Then take Improved Favored Enemy (9th, CWar), Unquenchable Flame of Life (12th, Libris Mortis), Supernatural Blow (15th, MotW), and... uh... maybe Ghost Scarred (18th, Libris Mortis).

As far as magic items go... get a Shield of Mercy (2170 GP, MIC) to convert unused smites into HP, but after that... what kind of budget do you have? Or are you just looking for a Wish List?

jdizzlean
2018-01-10, 11:26 AM
pretty much just a wishlist for items

feats and spell selection is where i'm a bit hazy on cleric, especially as i want to be an undead face melter. I'm iffy on DMM, mostly because unless i burn lots of feats on extra turning, i don't think i'll get away w/ nightstick stacking or anything like that, and i need 3 exalted feats for Saint, which would be 3,6,9 if i keep law devotion at 1.

not particularly set on touch of healing, not really interested in being a healbot, just figured that would be one way to do it w/o having to necessarily buy wands or expend slots on spontaneous healing.

I saw sun devotion last night in some reading, and that has made it on the list, but saint..
there is also a feat i saw that gives a bonus to intimidate 5/10/15 depending on whether who you're talking to worships the same deity as you, and how far from your alignment they are as well..

noob
2018-01-10, 11:34 AM
pretty much just a wishlist for items

feats and spell selection is where i'm a bit hazy on cleric, especially as i want to be an undead face melter. I'm iffy on DMM, mostly because unless i burn lots of feats on extra turning, i don't think i'll get away w/ nightstick stacking or anything like that, and i need 3 exalted feats for Saint, which would be 3,6,9 if i keep law devotion at 1.

not particularly set on touch of healing, not really interested in being a healbot, just figured that would be one way to do it w/o having to necessarily buy wands or expend slots on spontaneous healing.

I saw sun devotion last night in some reading, and that has made it on the list, but saint..
there is also a feat i saw that gives a bonus to intimidate 5/10/15 depending on whether who you're talking to worships the same deity as you, and how far from your alignment they are as well..

Without nightstick stacking you can still get one night stick then multiple turn pools with an acf,sacred exorcist and domains and thus get multiple times your charisma to the number of turn attempts(and also different from nightstick stacking you can use a nightstick for the 4 first turn attempts of a dmm persist then drop the nightstick and take another and do another dmm persist and thus only use three of your turns attempts per persisted spell).