2007-08-23, 02:22 PM
1. "L-in" (rhymes with bell fin)
2. "L-awn" (rhymes with bell fawn)

Morty
2007-08-23, 02:29 PM
I always pronounced "Elan like that:
"E" like in "penny"
"l"... like "l"
"a" like "u" in "drunk" and "n" normally.
Or just put "Elan" here (http://www.ivo.pl/ivonaonline.html) and click on red button and you'll hear.

B-Man
2007-08-23, 02:31 PM
This is how I pronounce everyone in the Stick (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?p=559778&postcount=3).

Sir_Norbert
2007-08-23, 02:37 PM
Like "New Zealand" without the "New Z" and the "d".

Tirian
2007-08-23, 02:44 PM
Is true. Eee Lin.

Setra
2007-08-23, 02:59 PM
This is how I pronounce everyone in the Stick (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?p=559778&postcount=3).
Same here.

Elandegenerate
2007-08-23, 03:05 PM
eh, i pronounce it Eh-lan. Seems normal enough (the opposite of V) , about the same blah-ness as Nale. cant really see the OotS saying a name that sounds halfway "eeee" right next to "Roy" , even belkar and Durkon. but then again, through eragon i couldnt help but imagine Eragon as a 14 year old >_< just how you read it i guess

TheNifty
2007-08-23, 03:06 PM
I've always thought it was like the word "élan" (pronounced ey-lahn), meaning enthusiastic or lively.

mockingbyrd7
2007-08-23, 03:09 PM
I found it horrifying when I found out it was "EE-lin." I've always pronounced it "ee-LAHN". (ee rhymes with pee, lahn sort of rhymes with con), emphasis on LAHN

WildBill
2007-08-23, 03:25 PM
Like the only front wheel drive lotus ever made.

Lissou
2007-08-23, 03:42 PM
It's funny, I'm French, and I never thought about pronouncing it like "élan". For one thing it doesn't have the accent (not compulsory on capital letters, but still better). Plus, that word also means "moose". I juste can't imagine Elan being called "moose".
Even when I think about how to translate it into French, it becomes "Hey-lan", with the n pronounced (it's not prononced in "élan").
Also, before I new that X in the beginning of a words are prononced like Z (and, really, what's that about? If it's pronounced like Z, why don't you put a Z? Or, why have 2 letters if they're pronounced the same? I'll never get English pronunciation), I prononced it either the French way ("Gzee-kon"), or what I thought was the English one ("GZIE-kon") (where GZIE rhymes with pie).

For Elan, I kept wondering whether it wa EY-lan or EE-lan, now I know.

I wouldn't mind an update, though, the names on that list are from the beginning of the story, and there are more now.

Also, even with that list, I'm not sure how to pronounce "Thog". I know it might sound stupid, but do you pronounce the "th" like a "T" or like a "TH" in "That" or like a "TH" in "aftermath"? I know that TH in the beginning of a name is supposed to be pronounced "T" (like "Thames"), but, on the other hand, why write it with an H if it doesn't change the way it sounds?

So, does anyone know how the "th" is pronunced?

Goofy
2007-08-23, 04:00 PM
"Th" from math is correct.

Maxdibe
2007-08-23, 04:09 PM
In Italy I guess everyone will pronunce something like:
E- (like, say, what the heck, or get)
-lan (like the local area network :smalltongue: )

archon_huskie
2007-08-23, 04:13 PM
Weird. I've pronounced it EL-an all these years.

And I've pronounced it thog (not Tog)

Spiryt
2007-08-23, 04:16 PM

Same in Poland. As here:

I always pronounced "Elan like that:
"E" like in "penny"
"l"... like "l"
"a" like "u" in "drunk" and "n" normally.
Or just put "Elan" here (http://www.ivo.pl/ivonaonline.html) and click on red button and you'll hear.

It's just language thing. Sure, I pronounce Roy, like Englishmen do, but only beacuse it's existing name and it will sound strange pronounced in polish way.

Threeshades
2007-08-23, 04:16 PM
can somebody please dig out the post by rich. I think i once made it clear, and if i remember well it was:

Roy -> 'roy
Elan -> 'ee-lin
Haley -> 'hay-lee
Durkon -> 'duhr-kon
Belkar -> 'bell-car
Vaarsuvius -> vahr-'zoo-vee-us

xykon -> 'zye-kon
redcloak -> 'red-cloke ( :smallwink: )

Nale -> 'nail
Sabine -> sah-'been
Thog -> :thog:

Im not sure about the more temporary members of the LG anymore though (neither spelling nor pronounciation).

EDIT:
Whoops, its already up there. Okay i was a little wrong about some.

dogmac
2007-08-23, 04:22 PM
Oh dear, it seems I've been wrong all this time.

Not gonna change though. He is strictly

EE (as in EEEEEK!)
Lan (as in "we're coming in for a landing)

in my mind.

MadMadMad
2007-08-23, 04:26 PM
Huh.

That changes things... until now I though he was Israeli.

Icewalker
2007-08-23, 09:47 PM
Personally, I always pronounced it 'eel-awn', even after seeing that thread with the correct pronunciation.

(Also, in the earlier comics my mind got into "Var-siv-us" instead of Var-suv-ius")

Oberon
2007-08-23, 09:56 PM

That's the way I've always said it. Kinda like Evan, but with an L. But apparently I'm wrong.

And I'm not Italian. (why will they say it that way it Italy? I'm confused.)

Kreistor
2007-08-23, 10:13 PM
El-ahn

El as in Ellen

an as in Khan.

Albion
2007-08-23, 10:14 PM

Once again, Italian and Finnish have strange phonetic (etc.) similarities since that's how I automatically pronounce Elan even though I'm in "English-speaking-mode". Apparently, Polish as well?! Still, maybe the Swedish style would somehow be most appropriate: Like before, but E-lun. Forget about it though since Giant has stated the official correct way of pronounciation... shortly after the dawn of time. And I don't mean the crayon stuff and all that.

Mr.Ace
2007-08-23, 10:47 PM
I'm... very dissapointed to know it's really pronounced like that. :smallfrown:

Which is kind've sad, really, but I can still pronounce it my way.

E-LAN.

Hrm. It's E-Mail combined with LAN.

:smallconfused:

~Ace

The_Hunting_Enemy
2007-08-24, 12:13 AM
Ellin, El-Inn, or however you want to spell it. That's how I pronounce it.

Baru
2007-08-24, 12:30 AM
EL-AN

I've never seen it as EE-LAN.

The Extinguisher
2007-08-24, 01:45 AM
Don't really get 'EE-lin'

I've always pronounced it like Ellen.

Maxdibe
2007-08-24, 03:54 AM
...(why will they say it that way iN Italy? I'm confused.)
Because we pronounce it "as it is written".

But.
Different languages pronounce single letters in different ways, so the problem is "how do I get you to understand how I pronounce a word?"
(I think there's an universal "pronunciation dictionary" and rules somewhere...)

Kaelaroth
2007-08-24, 04:02 AM
Oh dear, it seems I've been wrong all this time.

Not gonna change though. He is strictly

EE (as in EEEEEK!)
Lan (as in "we're coming in for a landing)

in my mind.

Same with me. Yaay!

Alex Kidd
2007-08-24, 04:13 AM
E (as in key) and Lan (as well Lan).

BisectedBrioche
2007-08-24, 06:18 AM
El (as in wELL) Ann (as in vAN)

Anthea
2007-08-24, 07:28 AM
Well, shouldn't you pronounce Elan just the opposite of Nale? Or vice versa?

Sir_Norbert
2007-08-24, 09:02 AM
So Elan is Lien? Now there's one wild theory......

[Explanation for those who don't understand: "Nale" phonetically is [nejl] (using the IPA). Reverse this and you get the pronunciation of "Lien".]

talagan
2007-08-24, 09:22 AM
eee-lawn All my friends agree

Alysar
2007-08-24, 09:48 AM
I pronounce it ee-lawn

Blackeyed1981
2007-08-24, 10:35 AM
I've always thought it was like the word "élan" (pronounced ey-lahn), meaning enthusiastic or lively.

Likewise, that *would* make the most sense... its odd that it would be pronounced differently, seeing as the word clearly describes Elan very well.

Wonderpus
2007-08-24, 11:14 AM

Agreed. I also pronounce the "n", which is wrong in French (as Lissou pointed out), but one of the acceptable pronunciations for the English word (http://www.bartleby.com/61/47/E0064700.html).

[Edit: spelling]

torrent
2007-08-24, 11:20 AM
i pronounce it like new zealand but thats just me im not sure what the correct pronounciation is

Thanatos 51-50
2007-08-24, 11:28 AM
"El awn"

<Don't you love that ten charecter limit?>

Holy_Knight
2007-08-24, 11:29 AM
i pronounce it like new zealand but thats just me im not sure what the correct pronounciation is

That is correct; the Giant has said so himself.

I've said this before, but here's an easy way to think about it. The name "Alan" is pronounced AL (as in "alphabet") - lin (as in "linear"). Elan's name is exactly the same, except for starting with a long "E" sound, as in "elate" or "elect".

Thus, "Elan" is pronounced EE - lin.

See, that's the perfectly natural pronunciation.

SweetBB
2007-08-24, 01:16 PM
Here's what it sounded like in my head...

EE lan (rhymes with fan)

*sigh*

Was I ever off on this one.

Verick Severith
2007-08-24, 02:20 PM
I've always pronounced it Elle-ahn

Yeah I know it's probably wrong...

Cruxador
2007-08-24, 04:38 PM
I always pronounced it more like "EE-len"

JasonDoomsblade
2007-08-24, 05:10 PM
The first time I read Elan's name I misspelled it and thought there was an extra N after the L so for about 50 strips I pronounced his name Elle~Nan but now I pronounce his name Eee Lan.