PDA

View Full Version : Seven Samurai vs Pulp Fiction

PlatinumJester
2007-08-23, 02:28 PM
Me and my uncle were having this argument. I think Seven Samurai is marginaly better. Samurai. Katanas. Seven. How can you go wrong? Also it inspired Magnificent Seven.

Pulp Fiction is still a damn fine movie.

Mr Croup
2007-08-23, 02:38 PM
If for no other reason than the influence it had on film making, I'd say Seven Samurai wins hands down. It is an iconic piece of film history, for shot composition, narrative technique, and technical film making.

Besides that, I think Seven Samurai is just a better put together film. I like Tarantino's work for the most part, but he's no Kurosawa.

As an aside, the thread title reminds me of a movie called Samurai Fiction (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Samurai_Fiction), which is definitely worth a look if your a fan of both of those films.

averagejoe
2007-08-23, 03:34 PM
This seems like an apples/oranges argument. I don't really find them to be comperable movies; I enjoy them both, in different ways, for different reasons.

However, if someone put a gun to my head, I would choose Samurai. As mrcroup said, Tarantino is no Kurosawa. Plus there was only, like, one katana in pulp fiction.

JellyPooga
2007-08-23, 06:45 PM
meh...I didn't think a lot of Pulp Fiction...it had a pretty good soundtrack...that's about it.

Seven Samurai, on the other hand, was a brilliant piece of cinematography.

Then again, I'm biased against Tarantino films...I just don't like his style (which is why I was stunned to discover that Hero was directed by him...that's a truly great film)

Talya
2007-08-23, 07:04 PM
Plus there was only, like, one katana in pulp fiction.
Edit:
Bah, i'm thinking kill bill. nevermind. Tarantino, katana. It comes to mind before pulp fiction.

In any event, that makes the choice easier. Pulp Fiction was rather...blah.

comicshorse
2007-08-23, 07:23 PM
Then again, I'm biased against Tarantino films...I just don't like his style (which is why I was stunned to discover that Hero was directed by him...that's a truly great film

Hero wasn't directed by Tarantino but by Zhang Yimou. Tarantino was responsible for it getting distribution in the West and they stuck his name on the posters because people would recognise it.

Jensik
2007-08-23, 07:30 PM
Pulp fiction had Samuel L. Jackson in it. Win

purple gelatinous cube o' Doom
2007-08-23, 07:58 PM
I'm going to have to say Pulp Fiction hands down, and easily one of the best movies made in the last 15 years. While Reservoir Dogs made Tarantino know, I think it was Pulp Fiction that really put him on the map. Besides being a great and thoroughly enjoyable movie, there are some classic performances. John Travolta's performance in the section of the movie opposite Uma Thurman is brilliant. Which culminates with the infamous hypodermic needle scene. Samuel L. Jackson's performance in the las section of the movie in the diner scene is absolutely magnificent, as the religious/bible thumping BAMF. The scene in the car with the two aforementioned actors talking about Mcdonalds is great too. Last but not least, Bruce Willis, who's performance largely goes more unnoticed for some reason. His role ties things together very nicely in the whole story in a interesting and gritty character (albiet his part of the story is a bit disturbing) ,but good nevertheless.)

Sly Reference
2007-08-23, 09:24 PM
Meh. Seven Samurai without a doubt. I've seen too many movies in my life, and I still enjoy watching SS.

Pulp Fiction bored me the first time around. It must be something about Tarantino films -- I also hated Kill Bill. Booooooring.

blackout
2007-08-23, 09:46 PM
Never seen Seven Samurai, seen only bits and pieces of Pulp Fiction. :smallannoyed: I am so uneducated.

Elliot Kane
2007-08-27, 11:21 AM
I like Pulp Fiction. It has a style and a feel all its own, and it really works well. In time, it will be considered a modern classic.

But Seven Samurai is clearly the superior film. It's not just stylish, but it carries a very definite underlying theme of the futility of violence. In other words - it has substance, too, which Pulp Fiction totally lacks.

QT is a very good director, but Kurosawa is a great director, and Seven Samurai is arguably his masterpiece.

bosssmiley
2007-08-27, 03:12 PM
Pulp fiction had Samuel L. Jackson in it. Win

...and "Seven Samurai" had Toshiro Mufune (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toshir%C5%8D_Mifune), a man later aped by both Clint Eastwood and Bruce Willis. Your point was...? :smallconfused:

It really is a case of comparing apples and wristwatches to try and decide which is the 'better' film though. "Pulp Fiction" and "Seven Samurai" are both iconic.

nagora
2007-08-28, 05:56 AM
Me and my uncle were having this argument. I think Seven Samurai is marginaly better. Samurai. Katanas. Seven. How can you go wrong? Also it inspired Magnificent Seven.

Pulp Fiction is still a damn fine movie.

Pulp Fiction is a good movie; SS is a classic human story executed perfectly by all involved.

It is not a criticism of Pulp Fiction to say that Seven Samurai is in a different class - it's in a different class from most movies ever made.

Alfryd
2007-08-28, 08:36 AM
...and "Seven Samurai" had Toshiro Mufune, a man later aped by both Clint Eastwood and Bruce Willis.
I still think Takashi Shimura (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Takashi_Shimura) bears an uncanny resemblance to Morgan Freeman.

As for the original question: This is a bit like comparing Metropolis and Aliens. I mean, fundamentally different standards apply here. Sure, in the technical sense, Metropolis has worse acting, worse special effects, an overbearingly purile political theme and isn't even filmed in colour! But which would you honestly say shows more evidence of artistic talent and made a greater contribution to cinema?

That said, I am quite fond of Pulp Fiction. I am fonder yet of Jackie Brown. And I consider the Kill Bill series to be an unseemly act of public masturbation.

I'm da Rogue!
2007-08-28, 08:54 AM
Yep the Samurais may be of another level, but Pulp Fiction still is my choice.