PDA

View Full Version : DM Help Help with story development?

Ivor_The_Mad
2018-01-08, 09:13 AM
Currently I working on a dungeon based around the fall of Atlantis due to the wrath of the kraken Slarkrethel. The basic idea is this, the characters are asked by a member of the kraken society (they don't know their identity) to find a magical trident because Atlantis is in danger. (the trident is the only thing that can free Slarkrethel from his bonds, but it is also he only thing that can beat him.) Then the adventurers go of to do the dirty work of the bad guys. when they get the trident and give it to the guy he takes it, frees Slarkrethel who travels to Atlantis after a few days and reduces it to rubble. There are a few other ways the story could go but I think Atlantis to fall in the end. I have everything planed out up until they get the trident. Before they find the trident they leave Waterdeep for Neverwinter to find someone who knows something. when almost there a storm hits and they land at a random location after that location they make it to Neverwinter and learn that they have to find some magic items first. After they do that they can find the trident. They get it and go down the coast to Daggerford and hand over the trident. This is where im stuck. I still have some locations that they can visit and I don't know if the campaign is to short. Is there more I can do with the Kraken society? 1 Dragon lair. There is a red dragon lair and the dragon has information about the kraken. 2 purple rocks. The home base of the society and the place they take the trident. 3 Atlantis. this is the location that the Dungeon revolves around. I still have not worked it into the plot except in a random encounter in the beginning. is there a good way to work this in?

Anything I should change or add? Thanks for your input.

SirGraystone
2018-01-08, 02:36 PM
What is Atlantis... an island? a city? an underwater place?

Armok
2018-01-08, 04:20 PM
What is Atlantis... an island? a city? an underwater place?

Aren't the bonds of friendship we've all forged the *real* Atlantis here?

On a serious note, I think that you could have a really interesting final encounter where the party has seen they cannot win in open combat- so, they need to put the kraken back in its prison. Sealing it away in the very ruins of Atlantis itself, perhaps centered on a ruined majestic temple, might be fun.

Ivor_The_Mad
2018-01-08, 06:19 PM
Aren't the bonds of friendship we've all forged the *real* Atlantis here?

On a serious note, I think that you could have a really interesting final encounter where the party has seen they cannot win in open combat- so, they need to put the kraken back in its prison. Sealing it away in the very ruins of Atlantis itself, perhaps centered on a ruined majestic temple, might be fun.

Thats a great idea ill use that!!! As for what is Atlantis it is half above and half below the water. The half below is just a large underwater city the top half is supported by giant columns and is 2 giant marble rings around the palace (located on a marble circle) these rings are what the top part is built on.

Nidgit
2018-01-08, 06:31 PM
Is anyone else aware of this plot? An organization that could be antagonistic towards the PCs as they attempt to retrieve the trident? I'd imagine they'd harry the PCs on their original question to get it but in particular there could be some interference with the hand-off in Daggerford.

An amphibious adventure like this seems like a good chance to work a dragon turtle in somewhere.

Ivor_The_Mad
2018-01-08, 08:48 PM
Is anyone else aware of this plot? An organization that could be antagonistic towards the PCs as they attempt to retrieve the trident? I'd imagine they'd harry the PCs on their original question to get it but in particular there could be some interference with the hand-off in Daggerford.

An amphibious adventure like this seems like a good chance to work a dragon turtle in somewhere.

There is a Dragon turtle monk monastery and the great dragon turtle. Also I was thinking i might have the Handoff go south and the party gets captured but im not sure if thats the best idea.

Ivor_The_Mad
2018-01-09, 06:25 PM
Thanks for the suggestions. Ill add them to the story.