PDA

View Full Version : The 5 mot stubborn creatures in 5e?

Spiritchaser
2018-01-08, 10:41 AM
I’m setting up a bunch of items a PC might meet to craft a particular item, and thematically, I think creatures of an especially obstinate nature would serve best

I’m not familiar enough with the Monster manual or Volo’s to know what might be best
I’d love any suggestions people might have

Thanks

Unoriginal
2018-01-08, 10:50 AM
Define what you mean by "obstinate" or "stubborn".

Different creatures can fit an one-word description, for various reasons.

Easy_Lee
2018-01-08, 10:51 AM
Dwarf. Dwarves actively dwarf their way through problems through sheer stubbornness and constitution.

Spiritchaser
2018-01-08, 11:15 AM
Dwarf. Dwarves actively dwarf their way through problems through sheer stubbornness and constitution.

I’d prefer to avoid sentient races.

At least for this campaign

the_brazenburn
2018-01-08, 11:16 AM

But if it's nonsentient, then how can it have a personality trait like "stubborn"?

Or maybe you meant to say "non-PC race". In which case, you can still use dwarves, just substitute them for duergar.

Pelle
2018-01-08, 11:17 AM
Donkeys...

Unoriginal
2018-01-08, 11:19 AM
"Individual dwarves are determined and loyal, true lo their word and decisive in action, sometimes to the point of stubbornness." PHB p.18.

Dwarves can be stubborn, but not that much.

JackPhoenix
2018-01-08, 11:34 AM
Earth elementals, propably... stubbornes is a trait associated with the element of earth.

Chimera's goat head is described as having "vicious, stubborn streak"

Owlbears are also described as stubborn, but also aggressive and ill-tempered.

Source: PDF scan of MM and ctrl + f "stubborn"

hymer
2018-01-08, 11:40 AM
Earth elementals, propably... stubbornes is a trait associated with the element of earth.

Chimera's goat head is described as having "vicious, stubborn streak"

Owlbears are also described as stubborn, but also aggressive and ill-tempered.

Source: PDF scan of MM and ctrl + f "stubborn"

I like these. I'll add the boar, who refuses to die when killed. Zombies may be seen in a similar perspective, though stubrnness is more figurative than actual in their case, I'd say.

the_brazenburn
2018-01-08, 11:42 AM
I like these. I'll add the boar, who refuses to die when killed. Zombies may be seen in a similar perspective, though stubrnness is more figurative than actual in their case, I'd say.

If you add the boar, you should also add the wereboar (I think their flavor text includes a reference to stubbornness anyway.)

GlenSmash!
2018-01-08, 11:42 AM

Rules lawyers.

hymer
2018-01-08, 11:43 AM
If you add the boar, you should also add the wereboar (I think their flavor text includes a reference to stubbornness anyway.)

Good thinking. There are also dog breeds that are considered stubborn, to wit the bulldog. Use Mastiff stats.

the_brazenburn
2018-01-08, 11:44 AM
Good thinking. There are also dog breeds that are considered stubborn, to wit the bulldog. Use Mastiff stats.

Were-bulldog?

Minodog? (Minotaur+dog)

Diredog?

JellyPooga
2018-01-08, 11:51 AM
Golems are about as stubborn and single-minded as they come. After that, I guess the "mindless" Undead; skeletons and zombies.

Spiritchaser
2018-01-08, 12:39 PM
I think that’s enough to work with! Thanks guys.