PDA

View Full Version : Vestige of Shabranigdo

OverdrivePrime
2007-08-23, 02:46 PM
I haven't seen much talk here about vestiges, perhaps simply because Binders don't seem all that incredibly impressive. All the same, I think they're a pretty fun character concept, and I've been tossing around a couple vestiges for a friend's upcoming game.

Here's my take on the vestige of Shabranigdo. Bonus points for those who know the reference.

Shabranigdo, The Ruby Eyed Lord of Nightmares
Vestige Level: 8
Binding DC: 37
Legend: On a material plane adjacent to our own, Shabranigdo was birthed by a malevolent mother goddess of creation to rule over other dark gods. Shabranigdo, known as Lord Ruby Eye, sought to reduce the universe to its components and bring chaos to all. Lord Ruby Eye was opposed by his counterpart, a dragon of bright flame that ruled over the gods of light. The two battled down through the ages until both were shattered apart into pieces. These pieces infused themselves into the souls of powerful mortals and sought to reawaken and continue their original mission. In doing so, they granted power through magic to mortals who would forward their eternal goals.

Near the completion of his reformation, Shabranigdo was stopped by a phenomenally powerful magic user. Formerly a devotee of Shabranigdo, this sorceress used a potent artifact of light to channel the power of Lord Ruby Eye’s mother in order to defeat him with a more powerful version of Shabranigdo’s most potent granted ability. Humiliated, but not quite utterly destroyed, Shabranigdo drifts on through time seeking vengeance and destruction.

Special Requirement: Summoning Shabranigdo is an arduous process that takes twice as long as normal. Binding one’s self to Shabranigdo cannot be sped up by any means.

Manifestation: When Lord Ruby Eye begins to manifest, the immediate area begins to darken and the air begins to thrum with the power of an approaching earthquake. There is an explosion of light, and when the after-image fades away, Shabranigdo’s hulking form crouches over the Binder. Shabranigdo looms huge, even stooped over – the monstrous creature is heavily muscled with a frame that could dwarf a mountain giant. His skin is a muddy red, and thick, plated wings flex over his back. Shabranigdo has a number of curling horns that wreathe his head, with a maw of sword-like teeth and eyes that glitter like burning rubies.

Sign: Your body shrinks in mass by 10% (causing non-magical gear to fit loosely) and radiates what appear to be waves of heat that are visible to the eye (distortions in the air) but do not actually burn.

Influence: When influenced by Shabranigdo, you look down on all those weaker than yourself and do not pass up a chance to sow discord and destruction. The Ruby Eyed Lord demands that you challenge any goodly dragons or female spellcasters you come across, though the challenge need not be to the death. Humiliation of any sort will suffice. All this sowing of discord burns a lot of energy – you require four times your standard amount of food while under the influence of the Lord of Nightmares.

Granted Abilities: Shabranigdo grants you a bit of his destructive power and the ability to sow fear and chaos.
Flame Blade – as the druid spell self only, once per 5 rounds
Aura of Malevolence – as the blackguard ability, always active
Confusion – range: 0, target: all creatures in a 30’ radius burst centered on the binder, but not affecting the binder. Once per 5 rounds
Fireball – as the spell, range = 5’ per binder level, once per 5 rounds
Overland Flight – as the spell
Dragon Slave – Shabranigdo grants a piece of his ultimate destructive power to a bound soul just once per day. The binder takes one full round to invoke the power of the mighty Dragon Slave. Upon completion, a red bolt of energy streaks from the binder’s hand to a single target within 5 feet per 2 binder levels. The target must make a fortitude save or be affected as the Destruction spell. One round immediately after successful use of Dragon Slave, a huge explosion of concussive force and fire consumes the target area, inflicting 1d4 force damage per hit die of the destroyed creature plus 5d6 fire damage in a radius of 5 feet per 2 hit die of the destroyed creature.

MandibleBones
2007-08-23, 02:58 PM
Darkness beyond darkest twilight, crimson from blood that flows...

I know nothing at all about Binders, sadly, but Slayers for the win!

Are you going to do the rest of the Mazuko?

OverdrivePrime
2007-08-23, 03:04 PM
Darkness beyond darkest twilight, crimson from blood that flows...

I know nothing at all about Binders, sadly, but Slayers for the win!

Are you going to do the rest of the Mazuko?

Ding ding ding! We have a winner! I'm not sure if I'm ambitious enough to do the rest of 'em. The incantation for the Dragon Slave just seemed so perfectly fitting for the Binder class that I just had to give Shabranigdo a try.

MandibleBones
2007-08-23, 03:11 PM
Well, there's the Lord of Nightmares herself...

Darkness beyond blackest pitch, deeper than the deepest night. King of Darkness who shines like gold upon the Sea of Chaos; I call upon thee, swear myself to thee. Let the fools who stand before me be destroyed by the power you and I possess...

Xuincherguixe
2007-08-23, 03:57 PM
I think people are more familiar with Slayers than Binders.

Also, it should strangely alter situations so that villages tend to explode around the person who binds it ^_^

OverdrivePrime
2007-08-23, 04:04 PM
I think people are more familiar with Slayers than Binders.

Also, it should strangely alter situations so that villages tend to explode around the person who binds it ^_^

It certainly seems that way. And here I thought that it was such an old series. 'Course the 90's aren't that long gone yet.

Xuincherguixe
2007-08-23, 04:51 PM
It certainly seems that way. And here I thought that it was such an old series. 'Course the 90's aren't that long gone yet.

Yeah, but it's Anime :P Seems that doesn't age quite as fast ^_^.

That or it's so awesome people keep pointing each other at it.

Ceiling009
2007-08-23, 06:52 PM
It's a classic fantasy Anime... so it doesn't really age... But yeah, actually in the Slayer's D20 book, dragon slave is a castable spell doing something like... 2d6 per level with no max cap... and has a 100ft area effect... so a level 20 can do like 40d6... but it's cool.

Behold_the_Void
2007-08-23, 09:56 PM
Dragon Slave's damage shouldn't be based on the target's hit dice. Dragon Slave by nature is just a massive blast of killing you.

Kai-Palin
2007-08-23, 11:32 PM
Missed the origin (not much of an anime person, sorry) but does that phenomenally powerful sorceress who defeats Lord Ruby Eye sound a little bit like Wee Jas to anybody else? The whole Ruby Sorceress, goddess of magic and killing things for "research".

Xuincherguixe
2007-08-23, 11:41 PM
Eh, it's not really accurate to the Anime. But it's going to be an ugly port regardless so it doesn't matter.

Lina Inverse, the protagonist of Slayers is greedy, shallow, short tempered, and is an expert in spells of mass destruction. Okay spells in general but almost all her arsenal is mass destruction. She's also a cute little 14 year old girl. She's not really evil persay, but it's pretty understandable why she terrifies people. Basically? Probably Chaotic Neutral.

Anyone can use spells which call on guys like Shabranigdo. Well anyone with magical talent. You don't have to be Thrall to the things to use spells which are derived from their power.

I don't know anything about Wee Jas, but I don't see that they could possibly be related. I'm not going to say it's impossible, but that's only because I don't believe in impossible.

MandibleBones
2007-08-24, 01:03 AM
A perhaps more accurate assessment is that Wee Jas is what Lina would have been had she been Lawful rather than Chaotic. As for the G-E spectrum, "Neutral with Evil Tendencies" fits her to a T - not because of her heart, mind, but because she constantly casts "evil" spells like the Dragonslave.

Back on topic: I need to re-read ToM so as to better comment on this tomorrow, but it's coming... just so I can play a binder to do it.

And I say that Rezo needs to be built as an example of a binder using RES as his vestige.