PDA

View Full Version : My new rouge cohort

Twilightinferno
2018-01-08, 11:43 AM
After getting the leadership feat my DM has given me a drow rogue as a cohort. The problem is that I don't have any experience playing as a rogue. Does anyone have advice on the best way to use my new cohort or where I can find a good guide on rogues.

skunk3
2018-01-08, 11:45 AM
Rogues are pretty simple to play. Stealth, sneaking, stealing, gathering information, detecting and disarming traps, sneak attacking, etc.

Nifft
2018-01-08, 11:52 AM
Utility:

Use Magic Device, buy Wands and such and be the back-up everything (healer, blaster, etc.).

Rank up Bluff / Intimidate / Diplomacy / Sense Motive, and talk people out of their own pants.

Combat:

Flank for Sneak Attack, stab, repeat.

Hide, sniper shot for Sneak Attack, repeat.

UMD for area control effect (grease or entangle or whatever). Remember that forcing balancing or otherwise denying the targets their Dex bonus to AC will make them qualify for Sneak Attack.

Dungeon:

Is this the only Rogue in the party? Then you might want Search / Disable Device / Open Locks. (If there's a PC Rogue, talk to that player first.)

Urban:

Traps & locks just like in a dungeon.

Pick pockets via Slight of Hand -- on NPCs only, don't steal from the party.

Twilightinferno
2018-01-08, 12:19 PM
To help with sneak attacks I was thinking of using the summon monster spells to make web spitting fiendish spiders and trap enemies in their webs. Would this allow for the sneak attacks bonus?

GrayDeath
2018-01-08, 12:23 PM
Dont forget to apply enough other Makeup as well. On its own, Rouge is a bit simplistic. For Class I would suggest Bard, or maybe Jester? :smalltongue:

Jokes aside, better correct the spelling in the title.

As for Rogues themselves, they make probably the easiest cohorts of them all. Max sneakiness, Lock and Trap Skills, and go to town, sure that you wont run into a trap. Some SA Damage helps as well, but mostly this kind of cohort frees you an your fellow players from having to inves ressources into dealing with their kind of obstacle. And UMD of course.

As for your question: If they manage to make enemies flatfooted and/or flank them, of course. If not, then not.