PDA

View Full Version : Help optimizing Warlock/Monk

Nuavion
2018-01-08, 01:25 PM
I rolled up a new character yesterday and had never played a warlock before. He's a chaotic good half drow tiefling and I don't have his sheet in front of me, but I just want to know what is a great way to turn him into a damage dealing monstrosity before I really get started so I can kind of see a clear development path in front of me. I know I rolled 18, 16, 16, 14, 13, and 12 for my ability scores, and I can reallocate them before we get started next week.

Dark vision 60 ft
+2 Dex
+2 Int
-2 Cha
30 ft speed
Dmg reduction 5 for cold, fire, and electricity
Darkness once per day
Picked up Devils Sight least invocation

+1 level adjustment

Other members of the party are a human wizard, a something beguiler, and a barbarian (maybe a lizardfolk of some kind, he's not too sure).

My DM even said he'd be cool if I wanted to dip into monk or something even though he said that those classes usually clash and it's not possible to multiclass with them. I had a vision of the character basically just porting around the battle (without relying too much on equipment) and striking down enemies with his bare fists. I want to either make this a reality, or just making a powerful character out of a drow/tiefling warlock.

Any help is greatly appreciated!

Rebel7284
2018-01-08, 01:57 PM
You may want to look into Eldritch Claws from Dragon #358 combined with Beast Strike from Dragon #355 to double your unarmed damage.

However, your character concept of teleporting across the battlefield and dealing a lot of damage is probably best done with Telflamar Shadowlord.

atemu1234
2018-01-08, 02:00 PM
You may want to look into Eldritch Claws from Dragon #358 combined with Beast Strike from Dragon #355 to double your unarmed damage.

However, your character concept of teleporting across the battlefield and dealing a lot of damage is probably best done with Telflamar Shadowlord.

I cannot recommend Eldritch Claw enough. It's arguably the easiest way to boost unarmed damage.

Nuavion
2018-01-08, 02:45 PM

Oh Eldritch Claws seem like they'd be a must. Thank you.

I cannot recommend Eldritch Claw enough. It's arguably the easiest way to boost unarmed damage.
It seems as though its only for one round though.

So Eldritch Claws and Beast Strike. Then just continue levels in Warlock/Monk or Telflamar Shadowlord.

atemu1234
2018-01-08, 04:21 PM
Oh Eldritch Claws seem like they'd be a must. Thank you.

It seems as though its only for one round though.

So Eldritch Claws and Beast Strike. Then just continue levels in Warlock/Monk or Telflamar Shadowlord.

The eldritch claws can be summoned as a free action; you just need to do it each round before you make your flurry of blows.

Snowbluff
2018-01-08, 04:27 PM
Probably cheese entry with Precocious Apprente into Enlightened Fist in order to level your monk abilities and warlock abilities.

Beast Strike and Eldritch Claws are a move I second.

Look into Swift Action movement. Maybe a Quicken SLA into a teleporting Invocation.

Snowbluff
2018-01-08, 04:28 PM
Probably cheese entry with Precocious Apprente you have the CL, into Enlightened Fist in order to level your monk abilities and warlock abilities.

Beast Strike and Eldritch Claws are a move I second.

Look into Swift Action movement. Maybe a Quicken SLA into a teleporting Invocation.

Maybe Precocious Apprentice into Ascetic mage if you’re feeling like you want to focus Cha.

Gruftzwerg
2018-01-08, 08:39 PM
As others have suggested:

Eldritch Claws + Beast Strike

Prc into Enlightened Fist (is a valid and leagal prc for warlock to point if out again ;)

Build as ubercharger

You want to end at character lvl 20 with an effective unarmed dmg of a lvl 20 monk.
So you'll need a Monk's Belt (+5lvls) and a dip into Fist of the Forest(1) (+Enlightened Fist lvls).

Further you'll need a Necklace of Natural Weapons with "Sizing", "Valorous" & if you can afford it "Collision".
Since Beast Strike doubles your "unarmed strike" dmg, you want to size em up to colossal size (-8 to Hit) for extra dmg.

For the ubercharger part you need to dip Barb1 (for ACF Pounce), Power Attack & Shock Trooper. Drunken Master 2 (the PRC not the film^^) gives the needed mobility with Stagger. Stagger enables direction changes while charging/pouncing and thus enables you to charge every turn in (almost) any space.
Valorous doubles the dmg on a charge. Further you'll pick the Fell Flight invocation to fly all day. Since your Beast Strike involves piercing you qualify for dive multiplier. Add Sandals of the Tiger Leap on top and you are looking at an constant x4 charge multiplier.

If you should be interested into a full build, have a look at my clawlock (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?518880)(thou its a human build). The build has high dmg and several layers of deception and perception.

Beware of the optimization lvl of the build. The build can give unexperienced (with high lvl optimization) DMs a really hard time when you can wipe out entire encounters in a single round due to careless positioning of the DM. Further, due to Stagger, you can bypass and ignore all mundane enemies and always aim for the big guy / evil caster first. Can be a headache for some DMs.

The dmg can be tuned down by skipping the dmg increasing items/options (e.g. not using the colossal sized hands^^).

My DM even said he'd be cool if I wanted to dip into monk or something even though he said that those classes usually clash and it's not possible to multiclass with them.
actually on 2nd thought, maybe you should show your DM the build so he gets a better clue what he has to expect from a monk/warlock.. lol.. ;)

edit: typo, thx to atemu1234 for pointing it out.

atemu1234
2018-01-09, 01:51 AM
Further you'll need a Necklace of Natural Weapons with "Sizing", "Valorous" & if you can afford it "Collusion".

I think you mean Collision (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/psionic/items/weapons.htm#collision).

Rebel7284
2018-01-09, 02:33 AM
I think the optimal build for a Warlock/TSL actually involves 0 levels of Monk.

Warlock 6/Unarmed Swordsage 2/TSL 4 gets you Shadow Pounce on a Warlock as soon as possible.

You can also do something like:
Monk 1/Hit and Run Sneak Attack Fighter 1/Warlock 3/Enlightened Fist 3/Unseen Seer 1/TSL 4
Which delays TSL a level but boosts your damage some at the cost of tons of feats. Probably want to be a human with flaws.

Also note that Sun School feat is a cute addition for a Monk TSL.

weckar
2018-01-09, 04:28 AM
So, I am assuming here that your DM is waiving alignment restrictions? Because otherwise you'd be stuck as Lawful Evil.

Rebel7284
2018-01-09, 04:32 AM
So, I am assuming here that your DM is waiving alignment restrictions? Because otherwise you'd be stuck as Lawful Evil.

Ex-Monks
A monk who becomes nonlawful cannot gain new levels as a monk but retains all monk abilities.

ShurikVch
2018-01-09, 05:12 AM
How about to add some levels in Jade Phoenix Mage (or - Ebon Phoenix?)

Gruftzwerg
2018-01-09, 08:32 AM

First you can switch alignment with some roleplay while lvling.
2nd, neither monk nor warlock loose abilities due to alignment (only the option to take further lvls in the class).
And last, once you left the first 5 lvls and entered a prc, you don't have to deal with monk/warlock alignment restrictions anymore.

btw, my build has also some roleplay suggestions for alignment changes, if you should be interested.

edit:

How about to add some levels in Jade Phoenix Mage (or - Ebon Phoenix?)
Warlock doesn't qualify for:

Ability to cast 2nd-level arcane spells

Warlock only qualify for PRC with Arcane Caster lvl requirement or spell requirements that can be simulated with invocations.

ShurikVch
2018-01-09, 09:03 AM
edit:

Warlock doesn't qualify for:

Warlock only qualify for PRC with Arcane Caster lvl requirement or spell requirements that can be simulated with invocations.Even if you don't use Precocious Apprentice feat, "Ability to cast 2nd-level arcane spells" may be gained via Imbue with Spell Ability (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/imbueWithSpellAbility.htm).

Rebel7284
2018-01-09, 09:35 AM
Even if you don't use Precocious Apprentice feat, "Ability to cast 2nd-level arcane spells" may be gained via Imbue with Spell Ability (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/imbueWithSpellAbility.htm).

Only cleric spells from the schools of abjuration, divination, and conjuration (healing) can be transferred.

While not necessarily impossible, you would have to have some pretty specific build perform the spellcasting service to have the transferred spells count as both cleric spells and arcane spells.

ShurikVch
2018-01-09, 10:22 AM
While not necessarily impossible, you would have to have some pretty specific build perform the spellcasting service to have the transferred spells count as both cleric spells and arcane spells.Note: AFAIK, "cleric spells" - just like "paladin spells" or "<any-other-class> spells" - aren't defined by RAW, thus - underlined part is dysfunctional

About the build - Runestaff, Knowstone, or Ring of Theurgy could help there... :smallwink:

Gruftzwerg
2018-01-09, 12:29 PM
Note: AFAIK, "cleric spells" - just like "paladin spells" or "<any-other-class> spells" - aren't defined by RAW, thus - underlined part is dysfunctional

About the build - Runestaff, Knowstone, or Ring of Theurgy could help there... :smallwink:

They are defined by RAW.

Here you have the Cleric Spells list (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spellLists/clericSpells.htm).
The title of a text/table/list is a common way to define keywords in 3.5

ShurikVch
2018-01-09, 01:18 PM
They are defined by RAW.

Here you have the Cleric Spells list (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spellLists/clericSpells.htm).
The title of a text/table/list is a common way to define keywords in 3.5OK
Dispel Fog (Shining South) is a 2nd-level spell in both Cleric and Sorcerer/Wizard spell lists; may be valid entry into JPM...

Gruftzwerg
2018-01-09, 01:33 PM
OK
Dispel Fog (Shining South) is a 2nd-level spell in both Cleric and Sorcerer/Wizard spell lists; may be valid entry into JPM...

The cleric would still need to be able to cast the spell as divine (for Imbue With Spell Ability) and as arcane at the same time.
Arcane Spells (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicOverview/arcaneSpells.htm) are also defined btw.

Wizards, sorcerers, and bards cast arcane spells. Compared to divine spells, arcane spells are more likely to produce dramatic results.

You would still need the help of a cleric with a very special build (that can cast his spells as divine and arcane at the same time).

ShurikVch
2018-01-09, 02:16 PM
The cleric would still need to be able to cast the spell as divine (for Imbue With Spell Ability) and as arcane at the same time.
Arcane Spells (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicOverview/arcaneSpells.htm) are also defined btw.

You would still need the help of a cleric with a very special build (that can cast his spells as divine and arcane at the same time).Except IWSA, actually, doesn't says the spell should be divine spell, just "cleric spell", which is - by your very own definition - means "from the Cleric spell list"
Thus, no need to "cast as divine and arcane at the same time.

Gruftzwerg
2018-01-09, 07:45 PM
Except IWSA, actually, doesn't says the spell should be divine spell, just "cleric spell", which is - by your very own definition - means "from the Cleric spell list"
Thus, no need to "cast as divine and arcane at the same time.

k, point for you ;)
missed that IWSA only demands "cleric spells" and not divine spells.

But still, finding a cleric that can cast spells as arcane is still a hard task imho. And unless its a party member, you need to visit him on every lvlup. Kinda annoying if you ask me.

ShurikVch
2018-01-10, 08:59 AM
k, point for you ;)
missed that IWSA only demands "cleric spells" and not divine spells.

But still, finding a cleric that can cast spells as arcane is still a hard task imho. And unless its a party member, you need to visit him on every lvlup. Kinda annoying if you ask me.Cleric?
Actually, I'm expected to hire a Sorcerer, and - in (very likely) case of him to don't having necessarily spells known - to give him magic item(s) which would fix it