PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder Pathfinder Dragoon build

Sunday
2018-01-08, 01:32 PM
Hey, I know there has been topics on the past about this. But I imagine there's been a few pathfinder books since! I'm trying to build a Dragoon for a pathfinder campagin. Probably starting with the fighter dragoon archetype.

I'm going to be playing a half elf.

Books wise I'm allowed Core, APB, UC + UM. No summoners, no alchemists. As well as any gear from the item book. Feat wise can be fairly open as long as the feats arn't ridiculous. I'm sure I can convince my GM. but multiclassing I have very little wiggle room.

Characters are starting at lv 10.

I'm debating cavilier 4, fighter 6 OR Ninja 5, fighter 5

But I would love othrs inputs on maybe artchetypes that might be good from the other classes, or great feats and magical item suggestions. (I am eyeing up the boots of vaulting ;) )

Geddy2112
2018-01-08, 03:41 PM
Dragoon has a lot of support for being mounted, but does not come with an in class mount, suggesting archetyping cavalier and boon companion feat. That said, you don't have to go mounted, although the feats are kind of a waste and lances are best used on horseback. If you want to just use a spear on foot, there are other and better archetypes, and straight cavilier might be your best bet for a lancer, although any class with an animal companion can be built as a riding lancer.

Ninja for sneak attacking with the double weapon lance could be interesting, but I would go rogue as ninja's use charisma and fighters normally dump that. Even then, lances are not idea for this unless you were mounted, in which case it is icing on the cake.

If you can afford it, the mammoth lance is very strong for a mounted rider, as you can effectively dump strength, and a reasonable mount can get far more strength than you can.

Barebates
2018-01-08, 05:07 PM
Fighters have loads of feats, so I would say take Nature Soul (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/feats/general-feats/nature-soul/), Animal Ally (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/feats/general-feats/animal-ally/), and Boon Companion (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/feats/general-feats/boon-companion/) to get a fully level horse you can ride. This way you don't need to multiclass at all.

grarrrg
2018-01-08, 05:10 PM
Dragoon has a lot of support for being mounted

Disagree.
The only 'mounted' features are 1st level, where you lose one bonus feat for two "mounted" feats, and level 15 which requires you be mounted (and if you're multiclassing you might not hit Fighter 15 anyway).

Yes, it makes you use a Lance for a fair number of features, but outside of mounted a Lance is a perfectly acceptable Reach weapon. The Weapon Training double damage bonus makes up for a weaker die, but the 7th level ability is the big one. Being able to enchant _one_ weapon, and use _one_ weapon, yet threaten at Reach AND adjacent is sweeeeeet.

suggesting archetyping cavalier and boon companion feat
If you do multiclass Cavalier, then you don't want Boon Companion, you want Horse Master (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/feats/combat-feats/horse-master-combat/) instead. It uses full character (not class) level for your mount.
It you choose a Cavalier archetype, you need to keep the Expert Trainer feature though.

Florian
2018-01-09, 03:59 AM
Well, Dragoons were mounted infantry, meaning they rode up to the battle, dismounted and left their horses behind. Early Dragoons were mounted pikeman on fast horses that could be used as mobile anti-Cavalier units, later they were upgraded with cavalry sabers to also make ride-by attacks against infantry, then came shotguns and some elite Grenadier Dragoons used, well, hand grenades. Overall, no combat trained horses (but faster breeds), no armor beyond a helmet and leather collar, no shields.

So, I think the main decisions should be: Keep being mounted (yes/no), Firearms (yes/no), Bombs (yes/no).

Personal opinion: The Dragoon archetype is a downgrade to the Fighter, as it cannot take any of the advanced armor/weapon options due to dropping Weapon and Armor training.

Peat
2018-01-09, 04:42 AM
What exactly do you mean by Dragoon? A guy with a lot of jumping and a spear, or someone on a horse, or something else?

Florian
2018-01-09, 05:23 AM
What exactly do you mean by Dragoon? A guy with a lot of jumping and a spear, or someone on a horse, or something else?

As Ninja and Boots of Vaulting are mentioned in the OP, I'm getting the feeling that we're talking about a FF Tactics style Dragoon here, so jumping with a spear.

Sunday
2018-01-09, 07:05 AM
I'm talking final fantasy style jumping Dragoon. Which I accept is a hard feat to accomplish in Pathfinder. I've decided to with the basic build for feat selection from Hobby Lark (https://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=3&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0ahUKEwirxtmz6MrYAhWELFAKHTWSAe8QFggyMAI&url=https%3A%2F%2Fhobbylark.com%2Ftabletop-gaming%2FA-Guide-to-the-Dragoon-Pathfinder&usg=AOvVaw1g_gNqrls-IvlFkDanCYgI)

I've decided to buy my horse and gear. Which is painful.... but I think 4 levels in cavlierer isn't worth a mount.

I think I'm going to go crit focused, with the impailing crit line. I've also picked the feat which enables you to ignore power attack negatives on the first hit. so the idea being the first blow is going to pack one heck of a punch on mounted charging. unless someone suggests something better. But I thought it was kinda themeatic appropriet.

I'm also going to take death from above as a feat which my GM will allow to apply to situational falling on people "charging".

I can also get my acrobatics/ jumping up to about 13 with armour penalties. And I'm taking boots of the cat but don't have enough money I don't think for ring of jumping and it's a low magic item game. But I really don't want to sacrifice the armour I've got for my horse which would cover the cost.... :(

stat line wise I'm looking at:
str: 18 (+2 from belt of giant strength)
dex:14
con:14
int:14
wis:11
chr:12

I know I should dump charisma and int. but I want them skill points. and I need some charisma for flavour stuff for the campaign. I don't think I need higher dex anyway cause I won't get any more armour penalty reduction until much later. Besides my AC is looking to be 30 with a shield.... so I think I'm good.

Florian
2018-01-09, 07:35 AM
@Sunday:

The "Jumping Dragoon" is BS on so many levels and not really supported by the system for good reasons.

What it translates to is a PF-variant of the "Übercharger" concept that uses pounce and might also combine that with Spirited Charge for the additional Oomph.

You can get there by using either:
- Mounted Fury Barbarian archetype with Animal Totem.
- Viking Fighter archetype to get pounce via Animal Totem.
- Totemic Initiate feat on a Disciple of the Pike Cavalier.

SuddenlyVanessa
2019-01-14, 01:18 PM
During my research for my own character, I came across this thread. My dragoon ended up quite differently. I eventually wrote about it on this blog:

knowdirectionpodcast.com/2019/01/iconic-design-final-fantasy-dragoon

It uses a kineticist with air powers and the Rhino Charge feat to make a quite effective dragoon!