PDA

View Full Version : Purely D&D Based Computer Games?

Bitzeralisis
2007-08-23, 03:10 PM
Yeah, I've always wondered if there were any other D&D computer games other than Neverwinter Nights (which I particularly don't like anyways) and Baldur's Gate. If you know any, list them here.

bigity
2007-08-23, 03:15 PM
Temple of Elemental Evil (buggy, get fan-made patches and such)

Icewind Dale 1 and 2

Baldur's Gate 2 (in case the mention of just Baldur's Gate was literal)

Uh.

Pool of Radiance (but it was awful)

And of course the golden oldie SSI games.

Bitzeralisis
2007-08-23, 03:21 PM
Hmm... I might want to refine my search.

Any free D&D computer games? And no demos.

bigity
2007-08-23, 03:23 PM
Free?

Some MU*s?

I bet alot of the old SSI games are abandonware now, being like 20 years old. They are 2nd edition based though.

Bitzeralisis
2007-08-23, 03:31 PM
Hmm... good...

That will be all for now.

Maxymiuk
2007-08-23, 03:48 PM
There's Dark Alliance 1 and 2 for the consoles. They're arcadey though.

Then there's Dragonshard, which is an Eberron-based RTS.

And a few others here or there, mostly too minor to hear about.

DeathQuaker
2007-08-24, 07:52 AM
Pool of Radiance (but it was awful)

And of course the golden oldie SSI games.

And since you mention both, the OP should make sure to draw a distinction between Pools of Radiance: Ruins of Myth Drannor, the game put out by UbiSoft about 6 years ago, and the SSI "Gold Box" series which starts with the game Pool of Radiance (followed by Curse of the Azure Bonds, Secret of the Silver Blades, and Pools of Darkness). It is "Pools" which is generally agreed upon to be awful (the on-release version corrupted Windows registries).

The gold-box series can probably be found for free at a number of places these days. Just keep in mind these came out in the late 80s, so we're talking not highly technologically advanced--but they were extremely good games for their time. There are other Gold Box series too: the Dragonlance series starting with Champions of Krynn and the Savage Frontier duology (which starts with "Gateway to...").

Other "old school" games you might find for free or cheap for emulators would include the Eye of the Beholder trilogy and maybe Menzoberranzan, among others.

Also to the OP: remember that if you have NWN--even if you don't like the original game, you can always download plenty of mods for free (or purchase premium mods; I don't think any of them are more than $10 these days). NWN2 has fewer mods available but what's out are pretty good.

If you want to be very free and very old school, you can always try some Rogue-like games, which include "Rogue" (obviously), "Nethack", and "ADOM" among others, which aren't technically D&D based games but run on mechanics based on and very similar to older editions of D&D.

Old Book
2007-08-24, 07:53 AM
I'd second the recommendations for Temple of Elemental Evil, Baldur's Gate I & II, and Icewind Dale I & II. All should be available for $10 or less via Amazon, bargain prices for fantastic games.

ToEE is the weakest in plot and characters, the best of the bunch in terms of getting the 3.5 rules set right and maintaining the feel of D&D combat. The Circle of Eight Forums host patches that fix almost all the major bugs and add a ton of new content.

The BG games are the closest you'll ever come to the feeling of an epic role playing campaign in solo computer game form; add the fan made mods and patches for a fantastic overall experience.

Tengu
2007-08-24, 09:19 AM
7 responses and no Planescape: Toment yet? Time to fix that!

There. I just did.

Premier
2007-08-24, 10:39 AM
Deathquaker mentioned Menzoberranzan - other and slightly earlier games in that style (sort of Eye of Beholder but you can turn around in 360°) are Ravenloft - Strahd's Possession[/], followed by [i]The Stone Prophet.

Dark Sun: Shattered Lands and Dark Sun: Wake of the Ravager are top-down games in the obvious campaign setting.

Al-Qadim: The Genie's Curse is (again, obviously) set in Al-Qadim, but while it's an official TSR game, it doesn't really have anything to do with D&D rules and mechanics - it's more of a top-down adventure/platformer.

Warriors of the Eternal Sun was made for the SEGA Genesis (easy to emulate), and while I've never played it myself, it's supposed to be a fun top-down/first-person hybrid.

Someone has already mentioned the Gold Box games. The same game engine was also used in Buck Rogers: Countdown to Doomsday and sequel Buck Rogers: Matrix Cubed, both using the now obscure Buck Rogers system. Technically not AD&D, but the rules are pretty much identical, and they're fun games.

And finally, let me recommend a little-known gem: Stronghold. Not the RTS games where you build medieval castles, but the original Stronghold. Basically, it's Sim City in D&D - after settling down, your former adventuring party members build strongholds to attract followers. As population grows, you have to construct housing, fields, buildings to stimulate the economy, etc. etc., while also trying to wipe out the monsters in the land. The game uses a pseudo-3D view, which I find curiously appealing.

TheBoneSplitter
2007-08-24, 10:56 AM
There's another very obscure D&D title that I have called Fantasy Empires (I loved Stronghold back in the day, as well as the gold box games... playing Pools of Darkness ATM)... I haven't played it in a while, but I think the premise is almost the same as Stronghold, just handled differently (don't quote me).

Premier
2007-08-24, 11:05 AM
There's another very obscure D&D title that I have called Fantasy Empires (I loved Stronghold back in the day, as well as the gold box games... playing Pools of Darkness ATM)... I haven't played it in a while, but I think the premise is almost the same as Stronghold, just handled differently (don't quote me).

Oh yes, Fantasy Empires. It was, AFAIK, set in the D&D world of Mystara, but the actual game hardly had anything to D&D. I guess it was similar to Stronghold insofar that both of them had the player sitting on the throne of a city/empire, but very different otherwise.

Samiam303
2007-08-24, 11:20 AM
I found this four disk set at a garage sale called "The FORGOTTEN REALMS Archives". Curiousity forced me to buy it, and while I haven't played it much, it seems to be an awesome collection of ancient D&D games. It includes:

Pool of Radiance
Curse of the Azure Bonds
Secret of the Silver Blades
Pools of Darkness
Hillsfar
Eye of the Beholder
Eye of the Beholder II
Eye of the Beholder III
Special Demo of Blood & Magic
Dungeon Hack
Gateway to the Savage Frontier
Treasures of the Savage Frontier
Menzoberranzan

Any of these especially worth checking out?

Reinboom
2007-08-24, 11:40 AM
I found this four disk set at a garage sale called "The FORGOTTEN REALMS Archives". Curiousity forced me to buy it, and while I haven't played it much, it seems to be an awesome collection of ancient D&D games. It includes:

Pool of Radiance
Curse of the Azure Bonds
Secret of the Silver Blades
Pools of Darkness
Hillsfar
Eye of the Beholder
Eye of the Beholder II
Eye of the Beholder III
Special Demo of Blood & Magic
Dungeon Hack
Gateway to the Savage Frontier
Treasures of the Savage Frontier
Menzoberranzan

Eye of the Beholder series, notably I and II
On my all time high favored SSI classics - and the first D&D anything I touched. In fact, I still speed run these two.
III was when SSI was getting eaten by westwood... and, well, lost quite a bit of the design :smallsigh:

Note: Anything SSI is usually NOT abandonware. SSI was consumed by Westwood and EA. Then, to further this, the electronic license held by WotC for D&D is one they do enforce.

valadil
2007-08-24, 11:43 AM

I enjoyed Gateway to the Savage Frontier quite a bit, but it's pretty old school and I'm not sure how it would fare now that I've played more advanced games.

Looks like some of those games are available on the underdogs (abandonware download site (abandonware is considered old enough that the company doesn't make money off it anymore so it's usually okay to download)) but not all.

DeathQuaker
2007-08-24, 10:24 PM
7 responses and no Planescape: Toment yet? Time to fix that!

There. I just did.

Well, I would have mentioned Planescape: Torment, except that the OP requested something he could find for free. Torment is hard to find, let alone for free (though it should be findable for pretty cheap).

But, yes, I do feel ashamed, especially as GiantitP's #1 Annah fan that I didn't mention it regardless, as Torment is the greatest D&D-based computer game of all time. (IMHO, of course. But in this case, my humble opinion is almost certainly right. :smallwink: )

Jothki
2007-08-24, 10:30 PM
Well, I would have mentioned Planescape: Torment, except that the OP requested something he could find for free. Torment is hard to find, let alone for free (though it should be findable for pretty cheap).

But, yes, I do feel ashamed, especially as GiantitP's #1 Annah fan that I didn't mention it regardless, as Torment is the greatest D&D-based computer game of all time. (IMHO, of course. But in this case, my humble opinion is almost certainly right. :smallwink: )

I believe that Gametap has it now. You may be able to get a free trial for it, though that may have ended.

Elliot Kane
2007-08-27, 11:31 AM
Torment is the greatest D&D-based computer game of all time. (IMHO, of course. But in this case, my humble opinion is almost certainly right. :smallwink: )

I would say you were absolutely certainly right, personally. My not-so-humble opinion :D

Tom_Violence
2007-08-27, 01:30 PM

I would say you were absolutely certainly right, personally. My not-so-humble opinion :D

Agreed! No shame in having opinions, and no fault in asserting those opinions as fact! Especially when you're this right.

Triaxx
2007-08-27, 02:37 PM
I picked up a box of SSI games on CD at a flea market for a buck. It has the two Savage Frontier Games, and Pools of Darkness.

My computer is unfortunately, too good to run them.

Beleriphon
2007-08-28, 12:25 AM
I picked up a box of SSI games on CD at a flea market for a buck. It has the two Savage Frontier Games, and Pools of Darkness.

My computer is unfortunately, too good to run them.

Two words: DOS Box. Handy little DOS Emulator that you can speed up or slow down depending on how well your game is playing.

Archonic Energy
2007-08-28, 09:01 AM

*taunts the OP by showing his well matained copy of the greatest game EVER* :smallamused:

and for shame DQ not mentioning PS:T sooner

*tut*

i'm suprised no-one's mentioned Storm... *gets lynched*

TheBoneSplitter
2007-08-28, 10:17 AM
Two words: DOS Box. Handy little DOS Emulator that you can speed up or slow down depending on how well your game is playing.

Let us also not forget D-Fend, a frontend which will make your life easier when handling things like DOS Box so that you don't have to remember DOS processes from long ago (or learn of them).

Crazy_Uncle_Doug
2007-08-28, 10:44 AM
... And finally, let me recommend a little-known gem: Stronghold. Not the RTS games where you build medieval castles, but the original Stronghold. Basically, it's Sim City in D&D - after settling down, your former adventuring party members build strongholds to attract followers. As population grows, you have to construct housing, fields, buildings to stimulate the economy, etc. etc., while also trying to wipe out the monsters in the land. The game uses a pseudo-3D view, which I find curiously appealing.

I remember Stronghold quite well! I played that one for some time. If I recall, it essentially used "Basic DnD" rules, that is, you had the classes: Fighter, Thief, Mage, Cleric, Elf, Dwarf, and Halfling. Yes. The demi-humans were a character class. Still, it was a great game and I got a lot of enjoyment out of it (especially when finding a gem mine). You created a character and some allies. You built a castle, they built smaller holds. Many buildings had upgrades. It was a blast. (I found some long games a pain, however. Buildings I had would just up and disappear with little or no explanation. It was a bit annoying.) There's a game I wouldn't mind finding again.