PDA

View Full Version : Tides of chaos + warlock invocation?

Arelai
2018-01-08, 05:13 PM
Tides of chaos lets you have advantage on a roll, and afterward when you cast a sorcerer spell you know, you *can* roll on the surge table and get tides of chaos back to use again.

So, if you know naw armor as a sorcerer spell known, and are also a warlock 2 with the invocation that lets you cast mage armor at will-can you cast mage armor for free to get your tides of chaos back after you use it?

I would say YES, because you are casting mage armor, that’s a sorcerer spell you know, thus-it counts.

My buddy disagrees.

Thoughts?

Kane0
2018-01-08, 05:25 PM
Using the invocation would be as a warlock, so strictly speaking it wouldn't trigger anything that requires you to cast it as a sorcerer. You just know the same spell from two different sources. The exception is when something specifies that it's added as an X class spell (eg Tome warlock).

Easy_Lee
2018-01-08, 05:28 PM
There is no right answer to this because the DM decides whether you get to roll on the table after casting a spell. You're casting a sorcerer spell (even though it's a warlock feature that gives you the spell, spells are spells) so it should work, but only if your DM decides to let you roll on the table. That's why a lot of people don't like Wild Magic Sorcerers.

Biggstick
2018-01-08, 05:46 PM
Using the invocation would be as a warlock, so strictly speaking it wouldn't trigger anything that requires you to cast it as a sorcerer. You just know the same spell from two different sources. The exception is when something specifies that it's added as an X class spell (eg Tome warlock rituals).

Spot on. The only thing I would add is RAW requires it to be a Sorcerer's spell that triggers the Wild Magic, and the spell was gained through Warlock features, making it a Warlock spell. I would also assume the RAI is that Warlock spells don't trigger Wild Magic Sorcerer's rolling on the Wild Magic table.

There is no right answer to this because the DM decides whether you get to roll on the table after casting a spell. You're casting a sorcerer spell (even though it's a warlock feature that gives you the spell, spells are spells) so it should work, but only if your DM decides to let you roll on the table. That's why a lot of people don't like Wild Magic Sorcerers.

IMO, the Player shouldn't be able to trigger Wild Magic Surges with a feature gained from a Warlock Invocation. However, it is truly up to the DM when Surges occur, as the Player has to have used Tides of Chaos and cast a Sorcerer spell for it to even be an option for the DM.

If the Player wanted to use an actual spell slot on the spell, I'd totally be down to give them Surges quite often. Personally, as a DM, I don't want the Surges to go off more then 50 percent of spells cast, but that's just personal. And this is based off of a bit higher leveled Sorcerer. For a low level one who is burning Tides of Chaos as soon as they can, I'd allow the Surges to go off much more often (somewhere around 75 percent of the time) as they only have so many spell slots in a day as it is.

Easy_Lee
2018-01-08, 05:48 PM
If the Player wanted to use an actual spell slot on the spell, I'd totally be down to give them Surges quite often. Personally, as a DM, I don't want the Surges to go off more then 50 percent of spells cast, but that's just personal. And this is based off of a bit higher leveled Sorcerer. For a low level one who is burning Tides of Chaos as soon as they can, I'd allow the Surges to go off much more often (somewhere around 75 percent of the time) as they only have so many spell slots in a day as it is.

That's the nature of it. Every DM has a different ruling for Wild Magic. I've seen opinions as diverse as every spell, once per short rest, and only when you roll a natural 20 after casting a spell.

Arelai
2018-01-08, 06:39 PM
See, the mage armor invocation doesn’t even say you learn the spell, simply that you can cast “mage armor” at will without components.

Why would that ability which modifies how you can cast the mage armor spell, not apply to the mage armor spell from sorcerer spells known.