PDA

View Full Version : D&D 5e/Next Fighter Archetype: Warlord (Warchief, Captain and Raider types)

hellgrammite
2018-01-08, 08:52 PM
Hey guys, I drafted this up tonight for potentially my next campaign and wanted to get some constructive feedback. There are a few spelling/wording errors I noticed but I just wanted to get an overall impression of the initial draft and what I might need to adjust. The goal was each option (ex:Warchief) has a slightly different feel than the others.

https://scontent-iad3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t31.0-8/26232935_2046935865334975_4179941186799795856_o.jp g?oh=b9b28ae22ec43c359cf11a5e69094809&oe=5AE9DBB3

Sariel Vailo
2018-01-08, 09:19 PM
Oooh fun looking thing to play

Mr A25
2018-01-09, 02:09 AM
Really enjoyed reading that, my first ever character in 4e was a warlord and I loved to be the guy helping everyone else!

As some hopefully helpful comments towards it, first I’d ask, are you locked into one path when you make your choice? For instance if I choose Warchief for my first feature am I always a warchief? Some clarification would help with that.

Also the Warchief and Raider features look good, and offer great variance on different styles to use. However the captain seems a bit weak in comparison to me. Especially when the 15th level feature basically overrides the level 3 one. I wouldn’t say it’s that much weaker but the circumstances seem for it to shine seem much more niche.

Lastly, it might be fun for the 7th level feature depending on what you choose to also gain proficiency in two related skills such as Persuasion and intimidation for Charisma and Religion and Nature. Just adds a bit more utility to them!

Overall though it seemed pretty balanced and fun to play and I imagine I’ll offer it as an option to my players when I run my next campaign this month!

Blackbando
2018-01-09, 08:01 AM
Am I just really stupid, or is the link not here, anymore?

hellgrammite
2018-01-09, 08:54 AM
Really enjoyed reading that, my first ever character in 4e was a warlord and I loved to be the guy helping everyone else!

As some hopefully helpful comments towards it, first I’d ask, are you locked into one path when you make your choice? For instance if I choose Warchief for my first feature am I always a warchief? Some clarification would help with that.

Also the Warchief and Raider features look good, and offer great variance on different styles to use. However the captain seems a bit weak in comparison to me. Especially when the 15th level feature basically overrides the level 3 one. I wouldn’t say it’s that much weaker but the circumstances seem for it to shine seem much more niche.

Lastly, it might be fun for the 7th level feature depending on what you choose to also gain proficiency in two related skills such as Persuasion and intimidation for Charisma and Religion and Nature. Just adds a bit more utility to them!

Overall though it seemed pretty balanced and fun to play and I imagine I’ll offer it as an option to my players when I run my next campaign this month!

Thanks for the input. Yes, you can choose different Warlord options at different levels. I will make add some clarification language at the top.

The Warlord Focus (3rd level) Captain feature I will replace with this:

Captain. As a bonus action, you can have any number of Allies take a Reinforce action with their bonus action until the end of your next turn. When an Ally takes the Reinforce action, until the start of their next turn, their speed is halved, any attack roll made against them has disadvantage, and if they are holding a shield, whenever a creature misses them with an attack that Ally regains temporary hit points equal to 1 + your Intelligence or Charisma modifier. Once you use this feature, you can't use it again until you finish a short or long rest.

Mr A25
2018-01-09, 09:55 AM
I like that, seems much more helpful, I also think this class does really well to utilise the action economy without stepping on its other features!

hellgrammite
2018-01-09, 10:50 AM
Am I just really stupid, or is the link not here, anymore?

Are you at work? It might be blocking the picture.

Blackbando
2018-01-09, 12:25 PM
Ah, that would explain it. I'll give a full review once I'm back home, then.

hellgrammite
2018-01-09, 05:03 PM
Ah, that would explain it. I'll give a full review once I'm back home, then.

Thanks, I updated the original post incorporating previous comments and grammar corrections.

Calen
2018-01-09, 05:42 PM
Nice looking archetype.

hellgrammite
2018-01-09, 10:24 PM
Switched the 7th and 14th level features, and edited Mind of War:

By 14th level, you mind and will are unflinching in battle. You have advantage on all Intelligence, Wisdom and Charisma saving throws.

Modified the level 18 feature:

Captain. If an adjacent Ally misses with a weapon attack roll, they can reroll it and add your Intelligence or Charisma modifier to the roll. An Ally can only benefit from this once on each of their turns.
Raider. Whenever you finish a long rest, you and your allies gain the benefits of a Pass without a Trace spell. The spell’s duration is extended to 24 hours.