PDA

View Full Version : Player Help Non-Standard MC Ideas

Scigr
2018-01-08, 08:58 PM
I just rolled 17, 17, 16, 14, 12, 12 in no particular order for a new campaign starting at level 10. Since I rolled so well, I'd like to try a multi-class that's maybe a little MAD, but flavorful, and that you wouldn't normally be able to do. It's a party of 4-5, but the DM doesn't want us to plan our party, so I have no idea what each person is bringing. My last character was a sorcerer so other than that, I'm pretty much open to anything. I'm really interested to see what kinda character ideas you guys come up with. Thanks.

gloryblaze
2018-01-08, 09:20 PM
The classic "way-too-mad-MC" is Paladin 6/Monk x, with your level 20 capstone being proficiency in all saves as well as +Cha to all saves. Do you know what level the campaign is going to, approximately? If you have reason to think it might hit 20, that might be the way to go (14/17/12/12/17/16), +1 Dex +1 Wis at level 4 paladin, +2 Dex at level 4 monk, +2 (Wis/Cha) at level 8 monk, +2 (wis/cha) at level 12 monk.

Of course, most campaigns don't even get close to level 20, but if you're starting at level 10, then you're skipping a huge chunk of the XP chart that's designed to take the longest (6 through 11 if i remember correctly)

Lonely Tylenol
2018-01-08, 11:40 PM
What gloryblaze said, but maybe swapping Str and Con, and going Half-Elf is good too, for the +4 total in attributes. If you aren’t specifically going heavy armor for HAM, then the Str for heavy armor isn’t that necessary; you have the attributes for high unarmored AC and can Kensai your way out of Str-based weaponry, so there’s no great urgency on that front. Paladin 6/Monk 4 is a suitable start for such a build, going Monk the rest of the way.

Depending on what’s allowed at the table and how different ability pools are treated, I REALLY like Scout Fighter (UA Kits of Old) + Revised (UA Revised Ranger)/Spell-Less (UA Class Variants) Beastmaster Ranger. You get a LOT of skill proficiencies, two Fighting Styles (Archery and Close-Quarter Shooter, from UA Underdark), two pools of superiority dice (which your DM will likely either consider levels in superiority dice granting classes to stack, in which case your dice pool will be small and dice size big, or will track both pools separately, in which case your dice size will be average and your dice pool HUGE - check with your DM) with a diverse range of applications. 5 levels of each gets you the Beastmaster Extra Attack replacement (your pet attacks as a reaction when you attack), plus the Extra Attack from Fighter that you lost for being Beastmaster on the Ranger side. Whether you go more levels in Fighter or Ranger there is up to you, but I prefer a finishing split of Fighter 11-12/Ranger 8-9.

You also have the ability scores for a Warlock/Mystic multiclass, where both classes have the majority of their best features loaded into the first 10 or so levels. I like Warlock 11/Mystic 9 myself, but you could start Mystic 9/Warlock 1 and have every Mystic power you will ever need, and then in one level, get Invocations for Agonizing Blast just in time to also get your third bolt.

Scigr
2018-01-08, 11:54 PM
The classic "way-too-mad-MC" is Paladin 6/Monk x, with your level 20 capstone being proficiency in all saves as well as +Cha to all saves. Do you know what level the campaign is going to, approximately? If you have reason to think it might hit 20, that might be the way to go (14/17/12/12/17/16), +1 Dex +1 Wis at level 4 paladin, +2 Dex at level 4 monk, +2 (Wis/Cha) at level 8 monk, +2 (wis/cha) at level 12 monk.

Of course, most campaigns don't even get close to level 20, but if you're starting at level 10, then you're skipping a huge chunk of the XP chart that's designed to take the longest (6 through 11 if i remember correctly)

We generally play until we wipe, so 20 is possible. However, usually we're in that 5-10 range when we die so it's really hard to say how high we'll make it. Traditionally our group struggles against high level casters, which is what we're sure to encounter the higher we go. So who knows we might not make it very far, lol.

gloryblaze
2018-01-09, 12:02 AM
What gloryblaze said, but maybe swapping Str and Con, and going Half-Elf is good too, for the +4 total in attributes. If you aren’t specifically going heavy armor for HAM, then the Str for heavy armor isn’t that necessary; you have the attributes for high unarmored AC and can Kensai your way out of Str-based weaponry, so there’s no great urgency on that front. Paladin 6/Monk 4 is a suitable start for such a build, going Monk the rest of the way.

Depending on what’s allowed at the table and how different ability pools are treated, I REALLY like Scout Fighter (UA Kits of Old) + Revised (UA Revised Ranger)/Spell-Less (UA Class Variants) Beastmaster Ranger. You get a LOT of skill proficiencies, two Fighting Styles (Archery and Close-Quarter Shooter, from UA Underdark), two pools of superiority dice (which your DM will likely either consider levels in superiority dice granting classes to stack, in which case your dice pool will be small and dice size big, or will track both pools separately, in which case your dice size will be average and your dice pool HUGE - check with your DM) with a diverse range of applications. 5 levels of each gets you the Beastmaster Extra Attack replacement (your pet attacks as a reaction when you attack), plus the Extra Attack from Fighter that you lost for being Beastmaster on the Ranger side. Whether you go more levels in Fighter or Ranger there is up to you, but I prefer a finishing split of Fighter 11-12/Ranger 8-9.

You also have the ability scores for a Warlock/Mystic multiclass, where both classes have the majority of their best features loaded into the first 10 or so levels. I like Warlock 11/Mystic 9 myself, but you could start Mystic 9/Warlock 1 and have every Mystic power you will ever need, and then in one level, get Invocations for Agonizing Blast just in time to also get your third bolt.

He unfortunately can't swap Str/Con unless he picks a race with at least +1 str cause he needs a 13 strength to multiclass into or out of Paladin. I do agree that Con is better than Str for the build if he does pick a +Str race

Arkhios
2018-01-09, 01:59 PM
I just rolled 17, 17, 16, 14, 12, 12 in no particular order ... maybe a little MAD

I can work with that. If you don't mind a little bit more than mad idea in addition to MAD stats :P

Str 17+1
Dex 16
Con 14
Int 17+1
Wis 12
Cha 12

variant human feat: Alert

Barbarian (berserker; purely for the madness' sake) X/Wizard (War Magic) 6+

other feats to consider: Shield Master and maybe eventually Medium Armor Master

Be the First in Battle (Initiative +8 with Alert, +12 with 2 levels in War Mage, all that with advantage once you hit barbarian 7), and quite likely the last in battle as well (great hit points and defenses). Only use long term spells that don't require concentration (such as Mage Armor, Mirror Image, See Invisibility; with Mage Armor and an actual shield your AC would be 18 while otherwise unarmored. Arcane Deflection can be used even when raging) or high damage spells when out of rage. You can also boost your spell damage with War Mage's 6th level feature, almost as if you were raging.

Aett_Thorn
2018-01-09, 02:09 PM
There's always the fun Pala-druid multi-class. Be a smiting bear of doom!

Easy_Lee
2018-01-09, 02:25 PM
A High-elf monk could start with 19 Dex, 18 Int, and 17 Wis, then go Wizard (Bladesinger). At Wizard 5, after +1 Dex and Wis, you would have 19 unarmored AC, 23 while Bladesinging, and +5 dexterity for swinging your arcane focus quarterstaff two-handed. That's one idea.