PDA

View Full Version : How to deal with large groups

tedcahill2
2018-01-08, 10:01 PM
I have a group of 7 players, combat is incredibly drawn out and honestly people get bored.

It also is impossible to throw a single big baddie at them because they have so many actions compared to the enemies that it's ridiculous.

What can I do to help with the combat situations for such a large group?

Quertus
2018-01-08, 10:53 PM
I have a group of 7 players, combat is incredibly drawn out and honestly people get bored.

Have you played war games with these / that many people before?

Because things like combat, where everyone is participating, is decidedly not where I have issues with people getting bored.

It also is impossible to throw a single big baddie at them because they have so many actions compared to the enemies that it's ridiculous.

Yup. "big bad" shouldn't have come alone. That's just a recipe for disaster. Unless "big bad" actually really is that big and bad. Like a hydra. Or a beholder floating over an island in the middle of a pool of lava.

What can I do to help with the combat situations for such a large group?

Depends on what the problem is. Are people's individual turns too long? Are people indecisive? Or are your players just too good, that they only need to glance at the board to make perfect decisions, and the rest of the time is just spent waiting for their turn?

BlackOnyx
2018-01-09, 03:51 AM

My current party has 6 members (a player myself, not DM) and I've had a bit of experience with this as well.

That said, our group has done a few things that have helped us shave off some time during combat. (Nothing surefire, but just some tips that have worked for us):

1.) Make sure players are deciding their moves *before* their turn.

This helps tremendously, especially if someone has to look up a spell or stat block.

2.) Use a dry erase board to write initiative order.

Helps people keep track of where they are in the round and builds anticipation for their turn. People know when to get ready with their actions.

3.) Describe combat in story form (both DM and players).

In short, try to make things play out like a scene rather than an exchange of numbers. Describing your actions and/or talking in character during combat makes watching others take their turn more engaging.

4.) Promote "in-game" battle discussion as much as possible.

While there are times when players may need to consult each other for meta analysis (i.e. rules questions), limiting discussions to what the characters would realistically be able to convey to one another keeps debates from going too long. (I.e. Players should not be asking others "which of these spells should I use?" in the middle of combat)

5.) Ask players to memorize (or make a table/printout for) some of their most common attacks/spells.

Pretty much as it says. A lot faster than looking it up online/in your rulebooks every time (unless they're bookmarked).

6.) Use a timer.

A bit stricter than the other rules, but it can help if you have some major offenders on the time front. Give them 1 or 2 minutes. If they can't come to a decision during that time, move on. Combat is supposed to be somewhat tense; you don't always have the time to make the best decision possible.

Plan encounters with multiple enemies. (Either two or three bigger baddies *or* one big baddie and several smaller minions.)

Make liberal use of baddies that use spells/spell like effects that can temporarily take out members of the group. Mind control in particular can cut down the number of players available to attack (adding more opponents in the process). Paralysis, fearing, and stunning work well, too.

Use non-enemy components in battle. (I.e. hostages, natural hazards, traps being set off, anything that might require some players to devote their attention elsewhere while the others attack.)