View Full Version : Which Cloak?

Balldanor
2018-01-08, 11:10 PM
I have a level 5 conjurer with the Abrupt Jaunt ability, going into Mage of the Arcane Order. I currently have a Cloak of Arachnida as well as a Cloak of Minor Displacement, and am having trouble deciding which to hold onto and which to trade/sell. I love the 20% miss chance, but having spider climb and free casting of Web is pretty damn sweet also. Any suggestions?

legomaster00156
2018-01-08, 11:26 PM
Keep both. Switch when one is more useful.

Crake
2018-01-08, 11:30 PM
Do you have party members who lack a cloak? Maybe give one to them? Perhaps the cloak of displacement to the party fighter or something, i mean you have abrupt jaunt for avoiding attacks, is a further 20% really necessary when you have a 100% avoidance ability?

Gruftzwerg
2018-01-09, 12:14 AM
If you really only want to keep one I would go for the Cloak of Arachnida. Cause as caster you don't intend to go into melee range. So, unless you are constantly having fights in the open, having spider climb to hang upside down on the ceiling is nice (so that the melee enemies cant hit you at all).

skunk3
2018-01-09, 12:16 AM
Do you have party members who lack a cloak? Maybe give one to them? Perhaps the cloak of displacement to the party fighter or something, i mean you have abrupt jaunt for avoiding attacks, is a further 20% really necessary when you have a 100% avoidance ability?

This. Let someone else use it for now if anyone can use it and just sell it later if necessary. Honestly spider climb isn't going to be hugely important for too much longer because you'll be getting flight.

Crake
2018-01-09, 12:58 AM
This. Let someone else use it for now if anyone can use it and just sell it later if necessary. Honestly spider climb isn't going to be hugely important for too much longer because you'll be getting flight.

Permanent flight is a long way away, so for the time while he's not flying, spider climb helps a lot to keep out of range of enemies.

That, and being able to plop a web down and move through it without issuse is pretty nice.

Balldanor
2018-01-09, 08:52 AM

Normally, this is what I would do, but it is an evil campaign, so I'm not looking to hand over a magic item to another party member without getting something in return lol

You hit the nail on the head for my thought as to why I'm leaning towards the Arachnid cloak. I'm sure the DM will come up with something that hurts me for the abrupt jaunt at some point, as he seems to design fights that nullify many of my caster's strengths on a regular basis.

TotallyNotEvil
2018-01-09, 09:33 AM
Abrupt Jaunt works a handful of times per day. I'd keep the Displacement.

Rebel7284
2018-01-09, 09:48 AM
Are there crafting services available to combine them into one item?

legomaster00156
2018-01-09, 11:40 AM
Normally, this is what I would do, but it is an evil campaign, so I'm not looking to hand over a magic item to another party member without getting something in return lol
This is not a particularly party-like attitude to have. Assuming your party is, in fact, a group of allies with no motives to backstab one another (in which case the party is doomed no matter what), it is to your PC's advantage to expand his allies' repertoire. A troll that is missing your fighter is a troll that is not hitting you.
If nothing else, your PC can say "you owe me one", and hold onto that favor.