PDA

View Full Version : Roleplaying Seeking Circle of Dreams advice

Armok
2018-01-09, 01:07 AM
So I've been playing a druid in a new campaign. My first druid ever actually, which may lend itself towards my current problem. I just hit level 2, and really liked the way Circle of Dreams looked. Mechanically, I really love it so far. An encounter after we leveled really showcased what Balm of the Summer Court makes me capable of, and validated my choice. As the groups only healer, I don't think it's an exaggeration to say we'd not have scraped through without it.

But when it comes to how to roleplay this ability, I'm slightly stumped. So to those who have played the class, how have you flavored this ability?

hymer
2018-01-09, 01:39 AM
I always (well, 'always', it's pretty new...) thought it to be very subtle. It's a lightening of the spirit, a damper on pain, and a refresher of the stressed and tired. If it wakes you from unconsciousness, you should have a lingering image of something pleasant; sun and blue sky over a lush, green forest, with a fey face smiling down on you and giggling as you lie on your back.

Aett_Thorn
2018-01-09, 08:26 AM
Remember that hit points are somewhat of an abstraction in this edition. They represent not just physical wounds, but also the will to keep going. Balm of the Summer Court could give them visions of a happy future, or memories of a cherished friend, or a daydream of playing with a puppy. Just something to keep them going just a little while longer.

Maybe find out a bit more about the other player characters, and roleplay what happens for each of them when you use it on them? The fighter might see visions of glory, the wizard gets a daydream about a fully stocked library, and the cleric one of being filled with his deity's light.