PDA

View Full Version : Player Help Alternative dragonborn

XanKortal
2018-01-09, 02:55 AM
Working on a new character concept in a campaign set in Faerūn after my previous one died heroically saving the team. Thing is, that the character was retrieved by a dragon cult of Zorquan, and pseudo reincarnated as a dragonborn (I say pseudo, because I'm told I have parts of my old characters memory, but not all of it, so I know what the mission is, but not who the rest of the team is).

This part is all solid, and I like it.

The problem comes in that my DM decided to randomly roll for what kind of dragon I reincarnate into a dragonborn OF and intentionally included some of the more obscure ones from previous editions, not realizing that some of these dragons don't have breath weapons at all - which as it turns out, the one I rolled, Fang Dragon, did not.

He seems fine with the weird situation that came from it and wants to sit down with me to flesh out the mechanics of my new dragonborn race, but I just want to get some second opinions on how other DM's might run with this weird twist of events.

We're not exactly following the rules of adventures league, but we have been following some of the campaigns as short one shots in town between bigger adventures, and we don't really want to spontaneously make a homebrewed variant that would make those adventures a cakewalk on accident.

Your feedback is appreciated.

Luccan
2018-01-09, 03:07 AM
Well, looking them up, it seems they have a sort of vampiric bite. Their improved brethren also gained acid breath. So figure out a vampiric bite your DM thinks is fair (possibly working more often than breath weapons, which don't work enough anyway) and acid resistance?

DarkKnightJin
2018-01-09, 03:31 AM
Well, looking them up, it seems they have a sort of vampiric bite. Their improved brethren also gained acid breath. So figure out a vampiric bite your DM thinks is fair (possibly working more often than breath weapons, which don't work enough anyway) and acid resistance?

So.. Black Dragonborn with Lizardfolk's Bite and Hungry Jaws instead of a Breath Weapon, then?

Could work, and the mechanics are already there.

carrdrivesyou
2018-01-09, 07:10 AM
I would say to give your character natural attacks that you can coat with CON damaging poison a few times per long rest. Claws and a Bite attack can be powerful. Poison as well.

Luccan
2018-01-09, 11:46 AM
I would say to give your character natural attacks that you can coat with CON damaging poison a few times per long rest. Claws and a Bite attack can be powerful. Poison as well.

This would also be in the spirit of the Fang Dragon. They're described as vicious fighters and at least in 3.5 have some improved melee damage.

GreyBlack
2018-01-09, 12:24 PM
Allow me to point you here:

http://forgottenrealms.wikia.com/wiki/Fang_dragon

Per this, Tiamat wound up giving Fang dragons an acid breath weapon. Maybe just take that?

Luccan
2018-01-09, 01:25 PM
Allow me to point you here:

http://forgottenrealms.wikia.com/wiki/Fang_dragon

Per this, Tiamat wound up giving Fang dragons an acid breath weapon. Maybe just take that?

To be fair, those became the gray dragons. And were tasked with hunting the remaining non-transformed Fangs. I could see a bloodline of Fang Dragonborn, even if Fang dragons are gone, that everyone overlooked. Hidden somewhere in a mountain fortress, perhaps. Or, since the character is being reincarnated by the cult of Zorquan, perhaps the god of "dragon-ness" is attempting to remind the dragons of Faerun what it is to be a dragon through a deadly and vicious dragonborn who need not rely on the gifts of Tiamat to prove he is worthy of draconic blood... That'd actually be a pretty sweet character arc.

Vaz
2018-01-09, 02:52 PM
Bonus Action Necrotic Bite Attack, dealing a monk's martial arts damage die? If it's negative level, perhaps have that bite's damage be unable to heal normally, like the Sword of Wounding's effect?