PDA

View Full Version : 5e Warlock Patron List

MarkVIIIMarc
2018-01-09, 03:10 AM
Maybe I'm making too much of this or maybe my DM is having me immerse myself in my character properly but I need guidance on picking a Warlock Patron if I am going to multi class my Bard.

How do you all pick a patron? They Archfey seem proper for a Chaotic neutral Wood elf Bard who would probably be chaotic good if not for a bit of an allowance for vengance's place in the world. Oberon, Emmantiensien, Dahm and Titania all seem like they could be appropriate. Are they?

For more background, we had a DM switch and our party got transported to another part of the world and now we are getting close to defeating the great evil there and rumor has it we may have an opportunity to go back. Would this even be a thing a Patron would help with in exchange for something?

Mythology is one of my weaknesses if it doesn't show.

Dr. Cliché
2018-01-09, 05:43 AM
I think a key aspect is going to be *why* your bard is making this pact.

He already has magic that doesn't bind him to the whims of a powerful entity. Why does he feel the need to make this bargain in the first place?

MarkVIIIMarc
2018-01-09, 09:36 AM
Thanks for helping me think through this.

The reason to make the deal would be -

Praying for a chance to get back home. When we switched DM's the temporary DM bad a greaf way of not messing with the other DM's world, he teleported us somehow onto either another continent unknown to us or another world.

If an Arch Fey can transport us back that would be great.

FWIW the reason my Bard was out adventuring in the first place was to save her family.

She has a charlatin background so there is a chance she'd roll the dice on something like this I think.

Plus more power never hurts.

the_brazenburn
2018-01-09, 09:38 AM
Mythology is one of my weaknesses if it doesn't show.

Are you looking for something D&D canon, or something mythologically correct?

In the first case: Titania, Oberon, Queen of Air & Darkness

In the second: Titania, Oberon, Cernunnos, the Green Man

As you can see, Titania's Summer Court is universal.

Mortis_Elrod
2018-01-09, 09:51 AM
So you what you want, a bit of extra power and a taxi home. What are you willing to give up? What’s the exchange ? Nothing is free and depending on your world the Fey are very big on getting something in return. Thankfully this doesn’t have to be something tangible or even immediate but it can be. That’s a big part of a warlock many might forget is that it’s an exchange.

Not saying you’ll have to give up a class feature or anything like that or that you even should. Look for something in the narrative, because this is a narrative question.

Most importantly stay true to your character and work with the DM so you both get something out of it.

Quoxis
2018-01-09, 03:16 PM
Another possibility would be asking your GM about an in-game solution, possibly with its own quest hook - you could come across a hag who offers you power for a seemingly innocent deed that turns out to have catastrophic consequences - that hold potential for character development too.

Edit: partially ninja‘d.

MrStabby
2018-01-09, 07:35 PM
My thoughts would be to pick your patron first. Any entity that you think is in keeping - some superbly gifted musical tutor, a love interest, whoever makes sense...

Next see if the abilities or spells of any of the pacts fit the concept. If not see what matches your concepts and see if your DM will allow those spells or abilities to be substituted in.