PDA

View Full Version : Creative uses for homebrew item

snailgosh
2018-01-09, 05:56 AM
So last session my DM awarded me with an homebrew item, which I decided to name the Teleplunger. Its properties are as following:

This smooth wooden stick is about one foot long and one inch wide and has a suction cup made of rubber on one end. It resembles an ordinary plunger.

Using a standard action, or one attack during a full attack sequence, you can throw the plunger as a ranged touch attack. It has a range increment of 10ft. and, as a thrown weapon, a maximum range of five times that (50ft.).
The Teleplunger sticks to the target on hit until removed with a move action.

Wearing the assossiated wooden ring (which came with the plunger) enables you to use the plungers teleportation abilities, which have a range of 60ft.:

•You can use a swift action to teleport to the plunger, balancing on its hilt. Staying on the hilt after the teleport is a balance check (DC 15), which the plunger grants a +3 competence bonus to.

•Alternatively, you can use a swift action to teleport the plunger from its current location into your hand. You need to have a hand free to use this ability.

Help me come up with clever and/or creative uses for this item.
I am playing kind of a mobile striker (Tashalatora Monk/Ardent) and I believe my DM intends me to use it to get close to enemies as my ranged capabilities are lacking. It seems lacking in that regard, however, with the short ranges and being harsh on the action economy.

I'm thinking of maybe sticking it on a safe spot to have a means of retreat, maybe.

So what ideas do you have? Crazy and silly ones encouraged :)

noob
2018-01-09, 05:58 AM
You could use this plunger and one fighting style for making a network between all the locations in the world.(100% raw 100% stupid nonsense due to the weird thing of being able to make multiple squares be the same square)
Then every 6 seconds add another locating within 50 foot of any location in which you are to the list of the locations in which you are.
Progressively use that for making gigantic cities.

weckar
2018-01-09, 06:44 AM
What would happen if you stuck the plunger to yourself and then attempted to teleport on top of it?

It'd also seem like it would allow quick and safe descent from great heights.

It'd be great for fighting colossal creatures too: T1: Plunger their head T2: swift action up, full attack, purposely fail balance check to start falling, T3: Repeat T2.
If you get any skirmish damage or the like the above should allow it to kick in every turn.

snailgosh
2018-01-09, 08:08 AM
What would happen if you stuck the plunger to yourself and then attempted to teleport on top of it?

It'd also seem like it would allow quick and safe descent from great heights.

It'd be great for fighting colossal creatures too: T1: Plunger their head T2: swift action up, full attack, purposely fail balance check to start falling, T3: Repeat T2.
If you get any skirmish damage or the like the above should allow it to kick in every turn.

Safe descent is a good idea.

Regarding plungeporting on myself...I'm not sure?
Most straightforward thing would be I port on top of the hilt and the plunger falls to the ground unsupported.
It might also default to porting into my hand ir simply fail.

Im not sure if your third idea works, though. I'd either fall more than 60ft. in between turns or take falling damage. I might also provoke AoO by starting my fall inside its reach.

weckar
2018-01-09, 08:12 AM
Why would falling more than 60ft. matter? Is there a max range to the teleport?

If nothing else, you could just stick it in your home to always have a renewable safe teleport back.

If you have a flying mount you could also stick it to IT, and make plunging attacks - using the ring to get right back in the saddle.

noob
2018-01-09, 08:38 AM
Why would falling more than 60ft. matter? Is there a max range to the teleport?

If nothing else, you could just stick it in your home to always have a renewable safe teleport back.

If you have a flying mount you could also stick it to IT, and make plunging attacks - using the ring to get right back in the saddle.

Both teleportation abilities have a maximum range of 60ft.
Well You see why.

snailgosh
2018-01-09, 08:45 AM
You could use this plunger and one fighting style for making a network between all the locations in the world.(100% raw 100% stupid nonsense due to the weird thing of being able to make multiple squares be the same square)
Then every 6 seconds add another locating within 50 foot of any location in which you are to the list of the locations in which you are.
Progressively use that for making gigantic cities.
I don't really understand how that is supposed to work. What do you mean by making multiple squares the same square?

noob
2018-01-09, 09:25 AM
I don't really understand how that is supposed to work. What do you mean by making multiple squares the same square?

Use Hammer and Piton on large spaces as your foes(nothing prevents you from using that multiple times for being in the same square as multiple spaces)
With plunger as the bludgeoning weapon.
Then when you want you can teleport where you throw the plunger and nothing says you stop being in the same spaces as your opponents when teleporting.
So you can combine in a full round attack touch attacks against spaces with your Hammer and Piton style, a throw of your plunger, a teleportation and grabbing back the plunger.

atemu1234
2018-01-10, 03:21 PM
Attach one end to a horse's head and spur it in one direction or the other, then teleport on top of it?

That and it makes climbing a non-skill.

Jormengand
2018-01-10, 03:43 PM
Use Hammer and Piton on large spaces as your foes(nothing prevents you from using that multiple times for being in the same square as multiple spaces)
With plunger as the bludgeoning weapon.
Then when you want you can teleport where you throw the plunger and nothing says you stop being in the same spaces as your opponents when teleporting.
So you can combine in a full round attack touch attacks against spaces with your Hammer and Piton style, a throw of your plunger, a teleportation and grabbing back the plunger.

I do feel proud of myself for coming up with the Hammer and Piton exploit which apparently is famous enough that people keep using it, but it doesn't really add anything using the Teleplunger on it.

noob
2018-01-10, 05:35 PM
I do feel proud of myself for coming up with the Hammer and Piton exploit which apparently is famous enough that people keep using it, but it doesn't really add anything using the Teleplunger on it.

Everything is more awesome when you are holding a plunger.