PDA

View Full Version : Player Help Need help finding spells to Fulfill a "prophecy" told by a crackpot fortune teller.

Recurver
2018-01-09, 06:18 AM
My character is a wisecracking artificer with one eye named Bill, he has a wife and a newborn child in a small town by the coast. The small town has a well known fortune teller in it name Asmeones, people come from all over to hear his predictions of the future. My character believed him to be a fake and mocked him regularly. During one of this fortune tellers shows Asmeones closed his eyes and pointed directly at my character and said in an altered voice

" When gravity falls, and earth turns to sky
beware the beast with just one eye"

The towns folk then began to fear my character and made him a social pariah, unable to buy food and supplies and eventually was forced to leave or he would endanger the lives of his wife and child. This was all at the beginning of the campaign as my characters back story. My GM likes to give intricate backstories like this to start our adventures and see what we do with them. My goal is to use scrolls and other magic items to make this prophecy come true. Returning to the small town and forcing them all to leave like they made my character leave is ideal. I'm going Hordeficer so i can handle a small army or town at later levels but the spells needed for making gravity fall and turning earth to sky are gonna be difficult. suggestions?

TLDR: need spells to make "gravity fall, and earth turn to sky" am an artificer so i have access to ALL SPELLS. thanks in advance.

weckar
2018-01-09, 06:30 AM
Image illusions seem the most practical way to go about it.

Recurver
2018-01-09, 06:45 AM
Image illusions seem the most practical way to go about it.
i could see that taking care of the earth to sky problem. the gravity falling part though seems like it needs to be felt. half the problem solved though is still helpful, thanks. Gravity falling seems to me like gravity failing in some way, specifically failing by reversing.

weckar
2018-01-09, 06:55 AM
Reverse Gravity is an expensive and high level spell - and hardly good to cover a whole town in, but then again there are few non-epic spells that CAN pull such a thing off (ignoring Locate City Bomb and its varieties).

Recurver
2018-01-09, 07:08 AM
Reverse Gravity is an expensive and high level spell - and hardly good to cover a whole town in, but then again there are few non-epic spells that CAN pull such a thing off (ignoring Locate City Bomb and its varieties).
There is a good chance that by the end of this campaign i will have access to infinite gold and experience, now all i'll need is a bunch of constructs with use magic device and a ton of those scrolls. Thank you for these suggestions, any more are welcome.

JyP
2018-01-09, 10:35 AM
" When gravity falls, and earth turns to sky
beware the beast with just one eye"

Reminds me of Planescape setting in AD&D2, with the hobbit village which was sucked in Limbo. Another possibility would be to send the whole village in Astral Plane, and the beast being an Astral Dreadnought...

chimaeraUndying
2018-01-09, 10:42 AM
I'd consider an alternative approach: make a load of money (you're playing an artificer, so this shouldn't be wildly difficult), buy the town, evict everyone.

Spitshine the whole place with fabricate and other convenient repair spells and suddenly you've got a real estate minigame to make your investment back with!

Recurver
2018-01-09, 11:07 AM
Reminds me of Planescape setting in AD&D2, with the hobbit village which was sucked in Limbo. Another possibility would be to send the whole village in Astral Plane, and the beast being an Astral Dreadnought...
I will have to look up that creature, wonder if i could shape change into it?

I'd consider an alternative approach: make a load of money (you're playing an artificer, so this shouldn't be wildly difficult), buy the town, evict everyone.

Spitshine the whole place with fabricate and other convenient repair spells and suddenly you've got a real estate minigame to make your investment back with!
I like that plan, my character already works for the ruler of the whole country, shouldn't be too difficult to convince her to let him buy it.

love the advice so far, thanks.

Lapak
2018-01-09, 12:15 PM
This is where you lean into the loose language of prophecy and fulfill this with much less raw power.

Step one: find the individual somewhere in the chain of authority above the village with the greatest combination of personal influence, dignity, and a bad temper. That sense of personal dignity and a solemn attitude is a must.

Step two: tie them to a one-eyed beast in some way. Arrange for them to be blinded in one eye, hire them a brutal one-eyed guard captain, enchant a cyclops and give it to them as a gesture of goodwill, etc.

Step three: arrange for them to visit the village.

Step four: humiliate them with a simple snare trap that leaves them dangling upside down in the most embarrassing possible circumstances. Set your trap such that it appears to be the villagers who are responsible.

And sit and watch the vindictive man, having lost his great gravity in his upwards fall, who has dangled with the earth at his head and the sky at his feet, vents his wrath.

Depending on your inventiveness with the one-eyed condition, this is achievable with pretty low-level resources.

Oracle71
2018-01-09, 01:54 PM
Use a reverse gravity spell, and when the spell takes effect, the ground or floor comes apart, gets flung into the sky releasing a monstrously sized bulette with one missing eye.

Alternately, the party travels to the elemental plane of air, and while investigating a giant earth-berg, it is revealed to be the resting place of an enormous half fiendish dragon turtle with only one eye. Sort of like Gamera if he was blind on one side.

Arbane
2018-01-09, 07:30 PM
Step One is to make a pact with a Chaotic Evil Outsider that looks like the bastard child of the Illuminati symbol and Mr. Peanut....

Pyromancer999
2018-01-10, 07:56 AM
If you'd like a particularly sinisterly delightful twist to the prophecy, maybe make use of an illusion/transmutation spell to make yourself look like an enraged, monstrous version of yourself, with one of your eyes appearing to be missing/gauged out, to fulfill the "beast with one eye". This makes it so that the prophecy wasn't a curse against you, instead having been a warning from the fortuneteller to your character's fellow villagers.

Alter Self/Polymorph/Fiendish Form should do, or maybe just a good Disguise Self.

Recurver
2018-01-10, 08:36 AM
This is where you lean into the loose language of prophecy and fulfill this with much less raw power.

Step one: find the individual somewhere in the chain of authority above the village with the greatest combination of personal influence, dignity, and a bad temper. That sense of personal dignity and a solemn attitude is a must.

Step two: tie them to a one-eyed beast in some way. Arrange for them to be blinded in one eye, hire them a brutal one-eyed guard captain, enchant a cyclops and give it to them as a gesture of goodwill, etc.

Step three: arrange for them to visit the village.

Step four: humiliate them with a simple snare trap that leaves them dangling upside down in the most embarrassing possible circumstances. Set your trap such that it appears to be the villagers who are responsible.

And sit and watch the vindictive man, having lost his great gravity in his upwards fall, who has dangled with the earth at his head and the sky at his feet, vents his wrath.

Depending on your inventiveness with the one-eyed condition, this is achievable with pretty low-level resources.

This is a great idea, i will keep it as a back up in case we do this at a low level. My hope is to do it personally though. Still loved it!

Use a reverse gravity spell, and when the spell takes effect, the ground or floor comes apart, gets flung into the sky releasing a monstrously sized bulette with one missing eye.

Alternately, the party travels to the elemental plane of air, and while investigating a giant earth-berg, it is revealed to be the resting place of an enormous half fiendish dragon turtle with only one eye. Sort of like Gamera if he was blind on one side.

My GM absolutely loves Gamera so that might actually be doable lol.

Step One is to make a pact with a Chaotic Evil Outsider that looks like the bastard child of the Illuminati symbol and Mr. Peanut....

My characters name is BILL CIPHER and has one eye and wears a top hat, his sons name is Dipper and his wife's name is Mabel. He also has a habit of making deals and giving everyone he meets a nickname. And i love that you got the general reference of the Prophecy.:smallsmile:

If you'd like a particularly sinisterly delightful twist to the prophecy, maybe make use of an illusion/transmutation spell to make yourself look like an enraged, monstrous version of yourself, with one of your eyes appearing to be missing/gauged out, to fulfill the "beast with one eye". This makes it so that the prophecy wasn't a curse against you, instead having been a warning from the fortuneteller to your character's fellow villagers.

Alter Self/Polymorph/Fiendish Form should do, or maybe just a good Disguise Self.

The prophecy was a warning to the people about me to begin with, my character has only one eye to begin with. Thanks for the illusionary self idea though.

Great ideas all, thanks so much.:smallbiggrin:

Telonius
2018-01-10, 09:05 AM
Was the prophecy delivered in writing? If not, they may have misheard. It's the beast with just one i. Find a creature that only has one i in its name (or a person whose name has only an i in it).

Recurver
2018-01-10, 10:42 AM
Was the prophecy delivered in writing? If not, they may have misheard. It's the beast with just one i. Find a creature that only has one i in its name (or a person whose name has only an i in it).
I genuinely laughed out loud when i read this, it is such a troll thing to do i love it. I will have to keep an eye out for anyone in the campaign with just one I. The humorous thing is that it also applies to my character, His name is Bill... only one I. I'm doomed!

Telonius
2018-01-10, 10:45 AM
Short for William, though, right? Two i's, so you should be safe.

Red Fel
2018-01-10, 10:59 AM
Pretty simple, really. It's this (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/epic/spells/nailedToTheSky.htm).

"When gravity falls, and earth turns to sky," that refers to basically falling upwards, which is the immediate effect of the spell - the target is launched into orbit.

"Beware the beast with just one eye," one eye refers to the sun, the eye of the heavens. Nailed to the Sky notes that the target suffers damage from, among other sources, scorching heat - you could easily say that's the result of being exposed to the sun's scorching rays.

Alternatively, just cast Fly or Levitate, strip down nekkid, and hover over the town until you get a nasty sunburn. Same effect, no epic spells required. Bonus, if the sun doesn't count as the "beast with just one eye," there's an indecent piece of anatomy that has a similar nickname.

EliDupree
2018-01-10, 11:18 AM
Why is everyone talking about getting direct revenge on the townsfolk? That would just validate their belief in the prophecy that said you were dangerous.

Here's something you could do instead: announce a giant charity project for all the towns in the area. Make the charity project involve reversing gravity somehow (let's say you use a bunch of scrolls of reverse gravity to assist with building new buildings, or something). All of the other towns will gladly accept the help, but this one town will be like "No! Remember the prophecy says to beware this guy!" and they'll refuse the charity. But you'll actually just do it in a way that's completely honest and helpful, and eventually you'll pack up and leave without demanding anything in return. And then everyone from all of the other towns will laugh at them for refusing, and laugh at Asmeones in particular.

(The prophecy will still literally come true, since it just say "beware", but doesn't actually say what will happen depending on their choice of whether or not to beware.)

Recurver
2018-01-10, 11:49 AM
Short for William, though, right? Two i's, so you should be safe.
Seems legit.

Pretty simple, really. It's this (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/epic/spells/nailedToTheSky.htm).

"When gravity falls, and earth turns to sky," that refers to basically falling upwards, which is the immediate effect of the spell - the target is launched into orbit.

"Beware the beast with just one eye," one eye refers to the sun, the eye of the heavens. Nailed to the Sky notes that the target suffers damage from, among other sources, scorching heat - you could easily say that's the result of being exposed to the sun's scorching rays.

Alternatively, just cast Fly or Levitate, strip down nekkid, and hover over the town until you get a nasty sunburn. Same effect, no epic spells required. Bonus, if the sun doesn't count as the "beast with just one eye," there's an indecent piece of anatomy that has a similar nickname.
I have always been a fan of that spell. Actually been thinking about using the spell "mirage Arcana" to make the ground appear to be the sky, Thinned out to only an inch or two thick the spell should cover enough area to achieve this. Then i just need to have a ton of "reverse gravity" scrolls or abuse some infinite wish loop for a ton of castings of it. But i swear to you, if i end up in epic levels for even a moment, I will Nail the guy to the sky while i'm shape changed into his appearance with one eye.

Why is everyone talking about getting direct revenge on the townsfolk? That would just validate their belief in the prophecy that said you were dangerous.

Here's something you could do instead: announce a giant charity project for all the towns in the area. Make the charity project involve reversing gravity somehow (let's say you use a bunch of scrolls of reverse gravity to assist with building new buildings, or something). All of the other towns will gladly accept the help, but this one town will be like "No! Remember the prophecy says to beware this guy!" and they'll refuse the charity. But you'll actually just do it in a way that's completely honest and helpful, and eventually you'll pack up and leave without demanding anything in return. And then everyone from all of the other towns will laugh at them for refusing, and laugh at Asmeones in particular.

(The prophecy will still literally come true, since it just say "beware", but doesn't actually say what will happen depending on their choice of whether or not to beware.)

The being i based my character off of is EVIL to the core. that being said, the character himself is not so much evil as he is chaotic neutral (the other evil alignment) with good and evil tendencies. (never bad to allies or friends, no matter what your alignment you should never make it bad for the other players :smallwink:). It's just not in his nature to let this go, or to be kind about it. as a man with one eye... he's an "eye for an eye" kind of guy.