PDA

View Full Version : Athletic, Dex-orientated fighter

Max Caysey
2018-01-09, 10:37 AM
Hi guys

I have hid a snag...

I'm currently trying to build my self a level 20 athletic fighter a master swordsman. A non-caster, who by speed and aestheticism dodges and makes many precise hits.

To give you an idea of what I'm going for, concept wise the following are examples of concepts:

Prince Nuada (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_cOOc-7SmUg), albeit with a sword instead.

Li Mu Bai (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ltY3ZLA6dA8)

Blade (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VA0Ch2_2o7I)

Thranduil (https://i.pinimg.com/736x/c6/22/c1/c622c1c247f1741648eb2d345b67635b--legolas-thranduil.jpg) albeit with only one sword

Arya Stark (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-s4pbxNMLL0) albeit with a slashing sword

They point being is, that they are master swordsmen, athletic, acrobatic, agile, nimble, fast and very capable with a blade (A slashing blade in my case). That's what I'm going for. A unarmored or lightly armored roped person (Think Neos (https://vignette.wikia.nocookie.net/factpile/images/0/09/Neo_85.jpg/revision/latest?cb=20160315194359) coat with a hood), who looks like nothing but will destroy you even before you know what has happened... I want the person to be mostly using one handed blades, so no chains, great axes or greatswords even thought that might do more damage.

Many attacks are good... so is multiple stats to attack and damage. The character is a human male, who comes from Faerun, so must fit in there...

Im not going for dual wielding so lets keep that out for now!

I'm open for most ideas, but they have to fit the concept... I would prefer completely mundane and so swordsage is not preferable, nor is bard.

So far I'm thinking fighter/ swashbuckler, but I need more. What else is out there. All official sources are applicable. We play D&D 3.5, but 3.0 is fine too!

I hope some of you will be able to give my some insights! Thanks!

AnimeTheCat
2018-01-09, 10:48 AM
Swordsage would nicely fit your idea I think. It only gets light armor proficiency, it gets wisdom to ac in light armor, and gets cool flashy sword moves that can be flavortexted into nearly whatever you want.

EDIT:
Be careful about your ability scores. I was just thinking about it and swashbuckler/swordsage is unfortunately pretty MAD. You would want your dex, wis, and int as high as possible, but you would also want your con and strength up there too (unless you're forgoing strength and relying on int and dex for damage and attack). Either way, you need a greater number of ability scores to be above average and that could cause issues. Just something to keep in mind.

Double EDIT:
Disregard... I didn't mean to mention something you weren't interested in. I'm sorry about that.

The Einhander feat would probably pique your interested. I think it's in PHB II, but dont' quote me on that.

ExLibrisMortis
2018-01-09, 10:50 AM
Completely mundane and competent? Not asking for much, are you...

I'm guessing a Daring Outlaw build might suit you, or perhaps a Swift Hunter with sparring dummy of the master and the ability to hit DC 40 Tumble checks (two 10' steps per round to trigger Improved Skirmish).

Hellpyre
2018-01-09, 11:15 AM
I'd recommend a Warblade focused on Diamond Mind strikes and Tiger Claw boosts as the chassis. At level 20, one-handing a single weapon it can make 12 attacks in a single round without counting in feats.

theboss
2018-01-09, 11:19 AM
You have the darvish prestige class in complete warrior. Champion of corellon In races of the wild which give you Dex do damage and it's not instead of your strength.
The problem is the feats tax and being an elf( I personally like elves but somehow people here don't )
You have cool prestige classes in complete adventurer and scoundrel. But if you're going to Dex build why won't you duel wield? It's the best option for a Dex fighter build.

weckar
2018-01-09, 11:21 AM
It's a little iffy, but Feat Rogue/Swashbuckler with Assassin's Stance (through feats) and Daring Outlaw may get you what you want. Get out of Swashbuckler ASAP, of course, and you may need a gullible DM to get it through.

ComaVision
2018-01-09, 12:44 PM
It's a little iffy, but Feat Rogue/Swashbuckler with Assassin's Stance (through feats) and Daring Outlaw may get you what you want. Get out of Swashbuckler ASAP, of course, and you may need a gullible DM to get it through.

Why would you take Daring Outlaw if you're going to jump out of Swashbuckler?

Bucky
2018-01-09, 01:19 PM
How much Tome of Battle do you want?

Several of the previous commentors have suggested that you use a Tome of Battle class for access to maneuvers. These maneuvers let a mundane character do things like single precise strikes or actively attempt to avoid a single attack.

Even if you don't want to go full ToB, you could benefit from a couple of the feats. Martial Study gives you a single maneuver, which you can refluff to make look mundane while keeping the "cool special move" impact. And Snap Kick gives you the ability to minipounce (move and attack twice).

gorfnab
2018-01-09, 03:31 PM
Here's a fairly mobile Dex/Int oriented fencer type build I came up with a while ago. It focuses on using Fighting Defensively (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?178445-A-short-guide-to-defensive-fighting) options to gain a decent AC as well as some combat options.

Human or Strongheart Halfling
1. Swashbuckler - Deadly Defense (CS), Combat Expertise, B: Weapon Finesse
2. Cobra Strike (UA) Decisive Strike (PHBII) Monk - B: Dodge
3. Cobra Strike (UA) Monk - Carmendine Monk (CoV), B: Mobility
4. Swashbuckler
5. Swashbuckler
6. Thief Acrobat - Combat Reflexes
7. Thief Acrobat
8. Thief Acrobat
9. Thief Acrobat - Einhander (PHBII)
10. Thief Acrobat or Warblade
11. Warblade or Duelist
12. Warblade or Duelist - Ironheart Aura (ToB)
13. Duelist
14. Duelist
15. Duelist - Robilar's Gambit (PHBII)
16. Duelist
17. Duelist
18. Duelist - Stormgaurd Warrior (ToB)
19. Duelist
20. Duelist

Levels 10 through 12 can be rearranged depending on your needs. The current setup gives you Improved Evasion and Uncanny Dodge at these levels. However if you don't need Improved Evasion take one less level of Thief Acrobat and move the first level of Warblade to level 10. If you don't need Uncanny Dodge don't take the 2nd level of Warblade and instead go into Duelist a level early. If you don't need either abilities take Warblade at level 10 and enter Duelist at level 11.

If flaws are available, choose two and then grab the feats EWP: Broadblade Shortsword (CAdv, pre-errata version if possible) and Versatile Unarmed Strike (PHBII). If traits are available pick up Cautious (UA).

Items:
Vest of Defense (MIC)
Bracers of Blocking (Dragon 322)
Broadblade Shortsword (CAdv) (pre-errata version if possible) or Rapier with the Defensive Surge (MIC) enhancement.

For a Daring Outlaw based build I like Feat Rogue (UA) 1/ Swashbuckler 3/ Sneak Attack Fighter (UA) 3/ Feat Rogue 13 with the feat Daring Outlaw taken at 9th level. This gives you a decent amount of BAB, skills, sneak attack, and feats that can easily be tailored towards a Dex based fighter build.

Max Caysey
2018-01-09, 08:33 PM
Swordsage would nicely fit your idea I think. It only gets light armor proficiency, it gets wisdom to ac in light armor, and gets cool flashy sword moves that can be flavortexted into nearly whatever you want.

EDIT:
Be careful about your ability scores. I was just thinking about it and swashbuckler/swordsage is unfortunately pretty MAD. You would want your dex, wis, and int as high as possible, but you would also want your con and strength up there too (unless you're forgoing strength and relying on int and dex for damage and attack). Either way, you need a greater number of ability scores to be above average and that could cause issues. Just something to keep in mind.

Double EDIT:
Disregard... I didn't mean to mention something you weren't interested in. I'm sorry about that.

The Einhander feat would probably pique your interested. I think it's in PHB II, but dont' quote me on that.

No problem, what I should have said is that I would rather not build it with ToB in mind. I know Swordsage works, but its quite the feeling I'm going for. Its not like I dont like ToB, I do, and I often use it, but this time its not so much what I'm going for... :smallsmile:

Completely mundane and competent? Not asking for much, are you...

I know... its kind of a fallacy, but thats why I want specifically to avoid magic.

How much Tome of Battle do you want?

Several of the previous commentors have suggested that you use a Tome of Battle class for access to maneuvers. These maneuvers let a mundane character do things like single precise strikes or actively attempt to avoid a single attack.

Even if you don't want to go full ToB, you could benefit from a couple of the feats. Martial Study gives you a single maneuver, which you can refluff to make look mundane while keeping the "cool special move" impact. And Snap Kick gives you the ability to minipounce (move and attack twice).

As little as possible... I really want to build it without... at least the classes... feats are more ok.

Ohh and thanks for the imput so far... keep them coming!

My personal "best" options so far is: Fighter (Kensai variant from DM #310) 4/ Swashbuckler 7/ Iaijutsu Master 2/ Dervish 3/ Dualist 4, but its not quite right... Im thinking of maybe going dualist 3 battle dancer 1, but I'm unsure! But that was my own version.

I'm not really happy with the Iaijutsu Master. Not only is it a wrong sword style wise (Could this be overcome with an aptitude weapon?) its also oriental in theme... Yes one could have gotten training from an exotic master during travels in the far east - to Shou Lung - but still...

So far I'm still looking for viable options with a single sword. Either scimitar or some other slashing blade.

Grod_The_Giant
2018-01-09, 08:49 PM
If you don't want Warblade, I'd say either Daring Outlaw (Rogue 3/Swashbuckler 17) or Swift Hunter (Scout 4/Ranger 17 with the CC option to drop spellcasting) is probably your best bet. Dipping into something like Shiba Protector might not be bad.

Seerow
2018-01-09, 08:54 PM
Here's a fairly mobile Dex/Int oriented fencer type build I came up with a while ago. It focuses on using Fighting Defensively (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?178445-A-short-guide-to-defensive-fighting) options to gain a decent AC as well as some combat options.

Human or Strongheart Halfling
1. Swashbuckler - Deadly Defense (CS), Combat Expertise, B: Weapon Finesse
2. Cobra Strike (UA) Decisive Strike (PHBII) Monk - B: Dodge
3. Cobra Strike (UA) Monk - Carmendine Monk (CoV), B: Mobility
4. Swashbuckler
5. Swashbuckler
6. Thief Acrobat - Combat Reflexes
7. Thief Acrobat
8. Thief Acrobat
9. Thief Acrobat - Einhander (PHBII)
10. Thief Acrobat or Warblade
11. Warblade or Duelist
12. Warblade or Duelist - Ironheart Aura (ToB)
13. Duelist
14. Duelist
15. Duelist - Robilar's Gambit (PHBII)
16. Duelist
17. Duelist
18. Duelist - Stormgaurd Warrior (ToB)
19. Duelist
20. Duelist

Levels 10 through 12 can be rearranged depending on your needs. The current setup gives you Improved Evasion and Uncanny Dodge at these levels. However if you don't need Improved Evasion take one less level of Thief Acrobat and move the first level of Warblade to level 10. If you don't need Uncanny Dodge don't take the 2nd level of Warblade and instead go into Duelist a level early. If you don't need either abilities take Warblade at level 10 and enter Duelist at level 11.

If flaws are available, choose two and then grab the feats EWP: Broadblade Shortsword (CAdv, pre-errata version if possible) and Versatile Unarmed Strike (PHBII). If traits are available pick up Cautious (UA).

Items:
Vest of Defense (MIC)
Bracers of Blocking (Dragon 322)
Broadblade Shortsword (CAdv) (pre-errata version if possible) or Rapier with the Defensive Surge (MIC) enhancement.

For a Daring Outlaw based build I like Feat Rogue (UA) 1/ Swashbuckler 3/ Sneak Attack Fighter (UA) 3/ Feat Rogue 13 with the feat Daring Outlaw taken at 9th level. This gives you a decent amount of BAB, skills, sneak attack, and feats that can easily be tailored towards a Dex based fighter build.

Underrated post here. This build is closest to what I envision when I think of a master duelist. Without some house rules or access to path of war, this is as good of a build as I would hope for.

If path of war is on the table, myrmidon martial master fighter with a focus on Scarlet throne remains one of my favorite character builds.

Gruftzwerg
2018-01-09, 09:53 PM
While the mentioned characters have an agile fighting style, I wouldn't explicitly say they would be Dex based.

You just need some way to fight fancy:

Barb 1/ monk 4 / Drunken Master 2 / Shou Disciple 5

Barb 1 for the obvious Pounce ACF.
DM2 gives Stagger. Now you can freely change directions while charging.
Monk is an easy way to enter DM and with Shou Disciple (3.0) you can flurry anything (note that it is assumed that SD progresses flurry, since in 3.0 it was a 1st lvl monk ability that scaled with BaB and didn't had a separate progression on its own).
Further there is a nice ACF for Monks called "Wall Walker". You lose slow fall but at 4th lvl you may move up to 20ft on walls each turn (increases by 10ft for each 2 monks lvls thereafter).

Build as ubercharger (PA, Shock Trooper) and get yourself Leap Attack.

Now you are able to do fancy charges along the wall and jump onto your helpless enemies for a big chunk of dmg. (Blade/Matrix CGI style ;)
Thx due to stagger you can even charge your enemy in front of you with running back and forth.

With the remaining 8 lvls I would at least max flurry to get the 2nd extra attack and the rest is up to you.

edit: since monk and barb will give you a hard time with alignment, it is easier to start as monk4 and switch to chaotic with roleplay at that point, to dip Barb1.
Shou Disciple and Drunken Master don't have any alignment restrictions.

Goaty14
2018-01-09, 11:17 PM
Take that one feat in CA that allows you to use DEX for jump/climb/swim. Why? Because it makes you look cool :smallwink:

Malroth
2018-01-10, 12:22 AM
Fluff is mutable so If you don't want to be "magical" you can do somethng like Swordsage into Telafamar Shadowlord and still have everything flavored as pure martial skill, and just moving that fast rather than teleporting through the realm of shadow, while still being everywhere on the batlefield doing dozens of attacks per round.

If you're 100% set against using the very nice melee classes from the Tome of Battle, i'm gonna echo the reccomendation of Shou disciple and/or Iaijutsu master.

weckar
2018-01-10, 01:59 AM
Why would you take Daring Outlaw if you're going to jump out of Swashbuckler?

DO has two advancement paths; swashbuckler or Rogue. In this case, Rogue seems far more beneficial, as by being a feat rogue (yet still pick up sneak attack dice) you get all the good and none the bad.

Metahuman1
2018-01-10, 02:31 AM
Ok, first thing first,

1 level of Drow Fighter would be good. You don't have to BE a drow, but 1 level is good. Dex to damage when flat footed. Your dex focused. Buy a +1 Warning Eager Shuriken or Dart and a take Improved Initiative, you should be able to win Initiative to get flat footed a LOT.

Next, you should seriously consider 1 or 2 levels of swordsage. Listen, hear me out. There are a LOT of maneuver's that are lower level that are not actually magically anymore than any trick a master in any movie with a lot of allegedly historical swordwork is. Mountain Hammer, the 3 Diamond Mind Skill To Save Counters, The Setting Sun counters at the 1st 2 levels which are just last second dodges and parry's, Sapphire Nightmare Blade and Emerald Razor strike which are baisically knowing how to flick the wrist to change the attack angle at the last second to exploit an opening and knowing how to preform a Draw Cut, respectively, Sudden Leap is just an action movie jump when you get down too it, Mountain Hammer is just knowing how to put your body into it when you must and were to apply the pressure. Take Island of Blades, that's just being better at fighting in a group, and only slightly. And take either Hunters Sense or Step of the Wind or Blood In The Water stances for the other stance.

It's just someone who's picked up a few tricks to supplement using agility instead of raw muscle mass.

And you can take Shadow Blade strike. Heck, just take 1 or 2 levels, use the class features and the 1 stance and forget you even have the rest if you must.

(Note, you can also consider taking Unarmed swordsage, and taking TWF using unarmed strikes as the off hand weapon. You take kicks in there knee caps or pressure point strikes to harm limbs that other foolish and slow and imprecise warriors stick out to be attacked when they swing at you.)

Swash Buckler isn't bad from here for a few levels, Champion of Corellion is good if you can get it, and Dervish is lovely as well. So is Eternal Blade if you can qualify and stomach a 1 or 2 level dip for the extra INT synergy. (Kung Fu Genius/Carmadine Monk will help if your DM will let you apply them to swordsage if you do this, and if your DM is feeling generous ask about Fearie Mysteries Initiate. If you do this, buy Soulfire Armor and a Ruby Center of Immutability. Magic Item Compendium page: 131. Immunity to polymorph and Disintegrate effects. Thus you don't have to worry about that Fort Save.)

You can get Int to Hit, Dex to hit (Maybe double.) and Int(Maybe double) + Double (Maybe triple.) Dex to damage.

Get a Scimitar, make it a +1 Aptitude Scimitar for a Shadow Hand weapon. Make it a Katori Resin Scimitar, and buy 2 Scabbards of Keen Edges and invest in some custom Magic Items to shut down your enemy's crit immunity's.

DMVerdandi
2018-01-10, 03:25 AM
Alright, Check it out...

Necropolitan
Barbarian 1[Lion spirit totem+Whirling Frenzy]/Marshal 1/ Battle Dancer 18

What for?
>Alright so barbarian is naturally so you can get pounce very early. Also, Using whirling frenzy gives you an extra attack.

>The single level of marshal grants you "Over the top", Which gives you CHA to Damage on Charges (Wait, like what you get from Pounce? Yeah)

>The levels of battle dancer are for the tumbling maneuvers, and extra bonus to AC, as well as bonus to speed.

So, Why Necropolitan? Well, you don't have to look super dead, just slightly greyed out, and Undead has some excellent bonuses to it.
>Immunity to poison, mind control, and a host of other effects [Big for mundanes]
>d12 for all hit die
>CHARISMA REPLACES CONSTITUTION. THAT'S RIGHT, THE SAME CHARISMA TO DAMAGE YOU HAVE. THE SAME CHARISMA THAT NOW INFLUENCES THE AMOUNT OF ROUNDS OF WHIRLING FRENZY YOU HAVE. YUP, THE SAME CHARISMA THAT GIVES YOU BONUS TO AC. NOW IT ALSO GIVES YOU BONUS HIT POINTS.

The cool thing about this build is the most important parts are in the first 3 levels.
You can actually replace 17 of those battle dancer levels with anything else.
Pick up Iaijutsu focus somewhere, and pick up einhander along the way.

Wanna be "magical" but still "mundane", Barbarian1/marshal1/BattleDancer1/ARTIFICER 17
Buff your weapons and armor only through "ALCHEMY", and craft weapons to kill thine enemies in your spare time. Also, all of that charisma SADness helps greatly. Get into corpse crafting if you want.

And you are still Tanky as all get out, because of the d12 hit die. But that is if you want to contribute outside of flipping and killing people in the face.
If not, continue with battle dancer 18 or swap out some of those levels for something else.

There is your kirito.
It might not be as Dex oriented as you might have wanted, BUT, you essentially wanted to go fast, flip a lot, and look cool doing it right? This runs on cool.

Metahuman1
2018-01-10, 10:41 AM
Alright, Check it out...

Necropolitan
Barbarian 1[Lion spirit totem+Whirling Frenzy]/Marshal 1/ Battle Dancer 18

What for?
>Alright so barbarian is naturally so you can get pounce very early. Also, Using whirling frenzy gives you an extra attack.

>The single level of marshal grants you "Over the top", Which gives you CHA to Damage on Charges (Wait, like what you get from Pounce? Yeah)

>The levels of battle dancer are for the tumbling maneuvers, and extra bonus to AC, as well as bonus to speed.

So, Why Necropolitan? Well, you don't have to look super dead, just slightly greyed out, and Undead has some excellent bonuses to it.
>Immunity to poison, mind control, and a host of other effects [Big for mundanes]
>d12 for all hit die
>CHARISMA REPLACES CONSTITUTION. THAT'S RIGHT, THE SAME CHARISMA TO DAMAGE YOU HAVE. THE SAME CHARISMA THAT NOW INFLUENCES THE AMOUNT OF ROUNDS OF WHIRLING FRENZY YOU HAVE. YUP, THE SAME CHARISMA THAT GIVES YOU BONUS TO AC. NOW IT ALSO GIVES YOU BONUS HIT POINTS.

The cool thing about this build is the most important parts are in the first 3 levels.
You can actually replace 17 of those battle dancer levels with anything else.
Pick up Iaijutsu focus somewhere, and pick up einhander along the way.

Wanna be "magical" but still "mundane", Barbarian1/marshal1/BattleDancer1/ARTIFICER 17
Buff your weapons and armor only through "ALCHEMY", and craft weapons to kill thine enemies in your spare time. Also, all of that charisma SADness helps greatly. Get into corpse crafting if you want.

And you are still Tanky as all get out, because of the d12 hit die. But that is if you want to contribute outside of flipping and killing people in the face.
If not, continue with battle dancer 18 or swap out some of those levels for something else.

There is your kirito.
It might not be as Dex oriented as you might have wanted, BUT, you essentially wanted to go fast, flip a lot, and look cool doing it right? This runs on cool.

Things you could do with this.

Dip 1 level of Witch Hunter from Oriental Adventures. Say hello to adding that Charisma to saves.

Dip Up to 4 levels of Paladin of Freedom. If the DM will go for it, ask to swap Paladin Casting and maybe Smite Evil for the benefit of the Sub Level form Champions of Valor that gives Cha to AC. If the DM won't do that, consider optimizing From Smite To Song. If that's not your thing, swap for one of the none casting options, and be content with Evildar, x2 Cha to all saves (and if your pumping Cha like you should be it should be through the roof. Consider being a Star Elf and ask if Unseelie Fey and Sparked (Magic Blooded.) templates are on the table.), Immunity from Mind Affecting Ability's including Charms and Compulsions, and Turn Undead, and the many, many, MANY feats you can take that those attempts fuel that are amazing. For this, Travel Devotion would be particularly good.

Invest in, additionally to the gear I listed above, Slippers of Battle Dancing and Gauntlets of Heartfelt Blows.

Fizban
2018-01-10, 12:00 PM
First question is what does a "master swordsman" do? Usually the same thing as a "master martial artist" or any other "master" of combat: sure they hit all the time, but more importantly they don't get hit. I find this is the secret behind most disappointment with 3.5 melee characters. People are told that mastery means having the best dps, and then are sad when their master dies to a swarm of mooks that can hit them as easily as the broad side of a barn because they were told to focus on dps. Masters of combat don't get hit, they don't get hit because they don't neglect their AC, and in 3.5 keeping your AC up means wearing armor and using a shield because that's what the system is designed for. The monk's biggest problem is that it starts at +0 instead of +4 AC, and the same goes for any unarmored build.

Then, the first thing you have to learn when it comes to melee dex builds in 3.5, is that 3.5 does not like melee dex builds. Seriously, the game is built around the idea that strength boosts melee attack and damage, while dex boosts a whole bunch of other things but only ranged attacks. Weapon finesse exists, sure, as a way to let a ranged character hit in melee for low damage rather than just miss. You can jump through hoops pulling together every possible ACF and feat and PrC from disparate books and almost kinda mostly get dex to replace strength, but you're putting yourself at a massive disadvantage in order to basically get more initiative and reflex save, which you could just get directly from Improved Initiative and Lightning Reflexes.

Second thing: Strength is speed. Force= mass*acceleration. Strength is force, Dexterity is reaction times and hand eye coordination. A strong character swings their sword faster than someone with low strength. Having medium or high strength does not mean your character has to look like a wall of meat, that's all up to your description.

Third: strength and dex stack. All the major sources of dex to damage are in addition to strength rather than replacing it. Pushing strength down gains you nothing and loses you damage.

So what's the only real gain from pushing dex? The ability to max out lighter armor. Chain Shirt caps at +4 dex, or +5 for Mithril Breastplate. Any more than that and you're not gaining any combat ability until you reach a +10 dex mod and going naked, at which point your AC may start being slightly higher than if you'd just used armor: unless your dex is going to be +10 or higher for most of the game, you should be wearing armor, period. (The one armor exception is the specific Celestial Armor, which has the base +5 armor of chain mail with a +8 dex bonus, and if its available then you need +13 or more dex to make going naked beat armor for AC).

But the real heresy of course, is Weapon Focus, Specialization, and Mastery. You want a bunch of attacks to hit accurately? That's +3 attack bonus. You want to make up for non-maxed str? That's +4 damage with no attack penalties. Stacks with everything. Before you go go nuts over something, first check how much of a bonus its actually giving you. These three feats are cheap (pre-paid for by the 4 fighter levels to meet Spec's requirement), and are probably worth more bonus than trying to cram in 4 levels of other stuff unless you're actually being allowed to double stack ability bonuses.

My suggestion would be Warblade because maneuvers and poaching the Mastery line, but you don't want to use maneuvers, so instead I'll say Swash 3/Fighter 4/Citadel Elite 5. Starting with around 16 Dex and 14+ str, with con and int for the remainder.

Dex never needs to go past 18 (with +2 enhancement) for Mithril Breastplate (maybe up to 20 with +6 enhancement for Celestial Armor).
You use a buckler and rapier (or maybe Elven Thinblade), or scimitar (your str bonus starts out only 1 less than your dex) because the game expects a shield if you don't want to get hit, and your imagination expects a master swordsman to not get hit.
Swash is mostly there for skills, but if you take int 13+ for Combat Expertise it gives you a bit of a bonus sometimes- not reliable, but the more inflated your stats the more use it can be.
Feats: Weapon Focus/Spec/Mastery, and whatever else floats your boat. Combat Expertise lets you cut incoming attacks down by half if your AC is decent enough to start. Block Arrow's usefulness depends highly on the DM, but its Deflect Arrows (with a shield) for practically no prerequisites. Improved Buckler Defense would let you two-hand your one-handed weapon without losing AC, in order to get full Power Attack bonus. Improved Initiative and Lightning Reflexes make you as much or more dex-y as people who spent all their feats on other things and only have dex to initiative and reflex.
And of course you can drop in however much Barbarian cheese you want from pounce or whirling frenzy or whatever. Two levels of barb is a lot more useful in the short term than the two extra levels of swash, which you can always take later when you can actually afford to boost int for damage. And unless you jump through a ton monk hoops, there's really no flurry other than whirling frenzy, so if you're expected to have three attacks at full bonus (one+haste+flurry) then that's where you'll be getting it.

The real tech here is Citadel Elite. Its from Sharn: City of Towers, but can be assigned to any Faerunian organization or just have the organization stuff (and action points) stripped out, it's not even important. What is important is +5 AC and +5 attack over 5 levels, which beats every other warrior class so bad that I'd generally flag it as overpowered. The attack bonus is limited by your enemy's dex and dodge bonuses (it technically reduces their AC rather than directly boosting your attack), but that just means that you're at your best fighting other people who are supposed to be faster than you- you're the best because you specialize in beating the best. It doesn't have any feat prerequisites and grants two completely open bonus feats of its own, so once you're through you should be set up to enter pretty much any other PrC you could want- and after finishing it at 12th level, you're actually in a place where you can afford the stat boosters to start thinking about putting more stats on more things if that's what you want.

The standard DMG Duelist gets an honorable mention for being the least dex-focused dex class. Its prerequisites don't care about armor. The class abilities work at varying levels of armor: Canny Defense gives you int when naked, you don't need int if you wear armor and shield. Enhanced Mobility is the same. Precise Strike wants you to use a light or one-handed piercing weapon, but doesn't care about armor, nor does Acrobatic Charge or Improved Reaction. Elaborate Parry is the class's best feature, giving a ridiculous +7-10 AC (on top of the +3 base from fighting defensively with Tumble ranks), and doesn't even care about the armor or weapon restrictions at all.

If it weren't for having to wait until ECL 13-14, the class would actually work just fine for anyone, with a bit of Int use for people that want to go naked and bonus damage for people with light weapons, basically equalizing everyone out. Switch Elaborate Parry with Enhanced Mobility so EP shows up early enough to matter and you're good.

Second honorable mention to the Daidoji Bodyguard from Oriental Adventures, for its own version of "better than the best" where it gets an AC bonus equal to the foe's armor check penalty, fighting in light armor but matching heavy armor with skill. Also a source of Uncanny Dodge and Evasion, and oddly enough Dwarven Defender style DR.

Remuko
2018-01-10, 12:17 PM
Alright, Check it out...

Necropolitan

>d12 for all hit die

I don't think Necropolitan says you get all D12s for HD even class HD only some templates say that. I made this error before myself.

Also sounds like youre talking about Unholy Toughness....which Necropolitans do not get. So no CHA to HP.

ExLibrisMortis
2018-01-10, 03:02 PM
You're confusing Pathfinder and 3.5. In 3.5, Charisma replaces Constitution for only one thing: Concentration checks (if your Charisma modifier is greater than your +0 Constitution modifier). Nothing else, and certainly not hit points or Marshal auras. Some templates may switch over your poison or breath weapon DC to Charisma, and undead with special attacks often use Charisma, but I can't find a general rule that says you get even that much by default.

DMVerdandi
2018-01-10, 09:56 PM
You're confusing Pathfinder and 3.5. In 3.5, Charisma replaces Constitution for only one thing: Concentration checks (if your Charisma modifier is greater than your +0 Constitution modifier). Nothing else, and certainly not hit points or Marshal auras. Some templates may switch over your poison or breath weapon DC to Charisma, and undead with special attacks often use Charisma, but I can't find a general rule that says you get even that much by default.

Ok, it doesn't for HP bonuses, BUT minor marshall auras bonuses are [+charisma bonus]. Major auras are the ones with the level based progressions.

Also, Undead use Charisma to replace Con when raging, and the bonus to AC comes from /Battle dancer 1/.

So outside of the bonus to HP [In which I was wrong, admittedly]. I am correct on everything else.

The rest of the bonuses still apply, which makes CHA awesome to focus on in this build.

Deadline
2018-01-11, 01:39 AM
You may want to look into the old Jack B. Quick build (http://minmaxforum.com/index.php?topic=6944.0)

You can staple most of that onto a non-fighter 20 chassis, but if you want all the feats you will be hard pressed to do it without a bunch of fighter levels. Warblade gets a few bonus feats and might be a good basis for a scaled down version, but if your goal is "lots of attacks" this is the build that does that.

Edit - by dropping the TWF and tripping you cut the Jack B. Quick attacks in half, but you still get lots of attacks, and on Diamond Mind focused Warblade, you'll have a bunch of other flashy swordsman things you can do as well. You might even be able to squeeze in the Duelist PrC from the DMG and make it reasonable.

Max Caysey
2018-01-11, 03:07 PM
First of all I want to thank you all for the great suggestions. Its really hard for me to chose options, and I have a hard time getting the mechanics to match up with the concept, which as you can see from my links in my opening post, has some range to it. Of course I saw some clips from the Witcher III, and now that has entered into the equation as well.

But that would cost a feat to not take -4 penalty for one-handing a bastard sword like the witcher's. Yes it could be skillful, but I already have enchants for +10 so cant afford to give it skillful enchant too.

Choosing a bastard sword would however open up exotic weapon master, but I'm not sure that does anything good... So for now I'm thinking scimitar still.

So my biggest problem so far is that I seem not still to have enough feats available. I have tallied it all up, and so far I would like 27 different feats (The below build contains 26 of those). Yes some might strictly speaking sub-optimal mechanics but mirror IMO what a "master swordsman" need, to mechanically represent such a concept. If one disregards the force abilities used, this (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RjG61DoDzN8#t=11m0s) pretty much is what I'm going for. Long hooded and roped figure, fast AF with all the needed dodges, reflexes and movement to fight this way... but you already know this.

This is my list of feats which I would like to have but I can only really achieve at level 28... which is kind of a problem.

Human Male: Fighter 22 (Kensei varian DM #310)/ Swashbuckler 3/ Dervish 3 or…
Fighter 20/ Swashbuckler 3/ Citadel elite 5

AC: 40/41

Initiative: +12

HP: 270

Speed: 45

Base Attack: +24

Full Attack: +50/+45/+40/+35

Damage: 1d6+38 15-20/x3

Saves: 25/25/19

Items:
5 Laminated, Razor-sharp, keen, eager, Adamantium, aptitude, scimitar of Collision and speed
Ring of Protection and Natural Armor +5
Cloak of Resistance +5
Battle Belt of Excellence +6
Headband of Brilliance +6
Amulet of Perception +30
Steadfast battle Charger Boots of speed
Bracers of Might & Armor +8

Chosen feats:
1 Weapon Finesse
2 Weapon Focus
3 Weapon Specialization
4 Weapon Mastery
5 Combat Expertise
6 Slashing Furry
7 Graceful Edge
8 Combat Reflexes
9 Improved Combat Reflexes
10 Greater Combat Reflexes
11 Improved Combat Reflexes [epic]
12 Robilar’s Gambit
13 Deft Opportunist
14 Expert Tactician
15 Defensive Sweep
16 Exploit Adjustment
17 Canny Opportunist
18 Defensive Opportunist
19 Dodge
20 Mobility
21 Spring Attack
22 Bounding Assault
23 Rapid Blitz
24 Epic Weapon Focus
25 Rain of Blows*
26 Epic Weapon Specialization

*Special feat from Fighter Variant from DM #310

Full attack (Normal) +50/+50/+45/+40/+35 1d6+38
Full attach (Slashing Flurry) +45/+45/+45/+40/+35/+30 1d6+38
Full attack (Slashing Flurry, Rain of blows) +42/+42/+42/+42/+37/+32/+27 1d6+38

Now so this is what I consider. This gives 7 attacks, 3 attacks every time an enemy provokes an AoO, and enemies provoke AoO for a lot of reasons with the build: attack, moving, not moving...

His AC is 40 (41 with Dodge) and 44 when fighting defensively... When fighting defensively he does not loose -4 to attack, thus basically getting Robilar's for free!

Anyways thats my boring level 28 build. Its not really what a want, its higher that what I wanted - I wanted level 20, max 21) - but so far this is it. I have not had a chance to go over all the suggestions here, but I will... and see if I can improve or make more interesting the build - or simple redo the whole thing - following more closely the suggestions here!. I have to admit, I'm very close to gestalting the thing!!! Probably with monk being one of them... Idk...

Again, as always, comment away on the build please!

And again thank you all for the help!

ShurikVch
2018-01-11, 06:49 PM
There are some more things:

PrCs

Corsair (Dragon #321)
Roiling Sea - 9th-level CF - allow to calculate bonus damage from Dex (rather from Str) for light weapon
Balanced Blades - 8th-level CF - allow to treat any one-handed weapon as a light weapon, if you have Weapon Focus (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/feats.htm#weaponFocus) with it

Keshen Blademaster (Dungeon #97)
Despite being blatantly TWF-oriented, this PrC can work for single-blade-user too. The only magical thing about this class is Keen Blade, which is Keen Edge (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/keenEdge.htm) (Su) 1/day
Notable CFs:
Potent Critical - extra damage on critical hit (from +1d6 at 2nd level - to +3d6 at 10th)
Weapon Focus - bonus feat (with slashing weapon)
Deflect Arrows (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/feats.htm#deflectArrows) - bonus feat
Flashing Blades - you perform a little battle dance, showing off your weapon skill, and at the next turn, got bonus to attack and damage (from +1 at 3rd level - to +4 at 9th)
Superior Weapon Focus - all of your Weapon Focus feats got +1 bonus increase
Counter Strike - once per 3 class levels per day, you may attempt to parry a melee attack; if result of your attack roll is equal (or higher) than enemy's, then attack is parried; if result of your attack roll is equal (or higher) than enemy's AC, then it's mean you just successfully hit the enemy

Weapon Master (Sword and Fist)
If you intend to focus on just one melee weapon, this PrC is must-have!
Ki Damage - Smite-like attack (but not supernatural); "Maximize Spell" for weapon damage
Superior Combat Reflexes - add your Wis bonus (in addition to Dex bonus) to number of AoO/round
Ki Critical - Improved Critical (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/feats.htm#improvedCritical) bonus feat; if you're already have Improved Critical for your weapon of choice, then instead add an additional +2 to your weapon of choice's threat range for critical hits
Ki Whirlwind - Whirlwind Attack (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/feats.htm#whirlwindAttack) as standard action 1/round

Feats
Since you using [epic] stuff - how about the Epic Prowess (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/epic/feats.htm#epicProwess)?
Agile Riposte (Dragon #305) - if "target" of your Dodge feat attack and miss you, it provokes AoO (1/round)
Dragon #301 have a number of feats:
Danger Sense - allow to act in surprise round (on Wis. check)
Single Blade Style - +2 dodge to AC
Circle Student - get +1 to AC and attack against the "target" of your Dodge feat (-2 AC against all other creatures)
Circle Master - you get benefits of Circle Student feat against all the foes you're threaten (still got -2 AC against creatures you aren't threaten)
Fencer's Insight - +1 insight to AC
"Parry line":
Parry - 1/round, spend AoO in attempt to negate melee attack; enemy's weapon should be no more than 2 size categories larger; light weapon gets +4 bonus; provokes Disarm attempt
Improved Parry - you may use Parry up to your Dex bonus
Expert Parry - use of Parry isn't limited one-per-creature-per-round
Guarded Defense - Parry attempt doesn't provokes Disarm
Incredible Parry - You may parry an attack from a wepon up to three size categories larger than one you wield; can be taken multiple times - character who had taken this feat three time could parry Gargantuan weapon with a dagger

Magic Weapon Special Abilities
Fierce (Arms and Equipment Guide) - allow to "rearrange" some of your Dex bonus from AC to damage rolls; Market Price - +2 bonus

ExLibrisMortis
2018-01-11, 07:32 PM
You have the classic problem of wanting every little cool feat you can find. We've all been there, but optimization is about whittling away the dead feats.

For example, at level 3, you could build something like this:
Human barbarian 2 (Spirit Lion totem, Wolf Totem, Whirling Frenzy, City Brawler)/warblade 1
Maneuvers: Punishing Stance, at least.
Feats: Extra Rage, Travel Devotion (3x, two flaws), Improved Unarmed Strike (bonus), Two-Weapon Fighting (bonus), Improved Trip (bonus)

Three times per day, you enter a state of Whirling Frenzy + Travel Devotion. During this state, you have improved strength, AC, and Reflex saves, and you move and attack faster. You can move your speed and charge on the same turn, every round, for about 5-7 rounds (depending on the duration of your rage; this version has no CON boost). When you charge, you get three attacks: two with a sword, and one with your off-hand unarmed strike. You use this unarmed strike to trip people (hook them with your nimble feet, to keep your fencing posture), not to damage them--your high strength makes this possible--and then you neatly slice them up with your sword (-4 AC on tripped creatures), before moving out of the way with your swift-action movement (prone creatures do threaten, but take -4 on melee attack rolls). Damage should be approximately 1d8+1d6+5 per hit, about 26 total if both sword attacks hit.

Okay, it doesn't use dexterity, and it doesn't have all the finnicky AoO-related tricks, but it's a character that is good at getting in fast, tripping and slicing the enemy, and getting out fast. If your DM pulled it out right now, you'd be impressed (and annoyed) about how fast and dextrous it really is, with 90' effective movement and three attacks per turn (at level 3, don't forget--and you can do this three fights per day, which is about as much as you'd normally face).

(obviously, wasting three feats on Travel Devotion is a real shame, but it's hard to get Turn Undead without spellcasting.)

My point is not that you should give up on your fast nimble swordsman, but you should be a bit more flexible about the mechanical side (no list of "must-have feats" and such) and worry more about how it would look if the DM used it against you (which is an approximation of what it would look like in-character). If a master swordsman must have all the cool feats, you're going to be screwed by how many feats have been printed (and how many suck).

Max Caysey
2018-01-12, 08:21 PM
There are some more things:

PrCs

Corsair (Dragon #321)
Roiling Sea - 9th-level CF - allow to calculate bonus damage from Dex (rather from Str) for light weapon
Balanced Blades - 8th-level CF - allow to treat any one-handed weapon as a light weapon, if you have Weapon Focus (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/feats.htm#weaponFocus) with it

Keshen Blademaster (Dungeon #97)
Despite being blatantly TWF-oriented, this PrC can work for single-blade-user too. The only magical thing about this class is Keen Blade, which is Keen Edge (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/keenEdge.htm) (Su) 1/day
Notable CFs:
Potent Critical - extra damage on critical hit (from +1d6 at 2nd level - to +3d6 at 10th)
Weapon Focus - bonus feat (with slashing weapon)
Deflect Arrows (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/feats.htm#deflectArrows) - bonus feat
Flashing Blades - you perform a little battle dance, showing off your weapon skill, and at the next turn, got bonus to attack and damage (from +1 at 3rd level - to +4 at 9th)
Counter Strike - once per 3 class levels per day, you may attempt to parry a melee attack; if result of your attack roll is equal (or higher) than enemy's, then attack is parried; if result of your attack roll is equal (or higher) than enemy's AC, then it's mean you just successfully hit the enemy

Weapon Master (Sword and Fist)
If you intend to focus on just one melee weapon, this PrC is must-have!
Ki Damage - Smite-like attack (but not supernatural); "Maximize Spell" for weapon damage
Superior Combat Reflexes - add your Wis bonus (in addition to Dex bonus) to number of AoO/round
Ki Critical - Improved Critical (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/feats.htm#improvedCritical) bonus feat; if you're already have Improved Critical for your weapon of choice, then instead add an additional +2 to your weapon of choice's threat range for critical hits
Ki Whirlwind - Whirlwind Attack (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/feats.htm#whirlwindAttack) as standard action 1/round

Feats
Since you using [epic] stuff - how about the Epic Prowess (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/epic/feats.htm#epicProwess)?
Agile Riposte (Dragon #305) - if "target" of your Dodge feat attack and miss you, it provokes AoO (1/round)
Dragon #301 have a number of feats:
Danger Sense - allow to act in surprise round (on Wis. check)
Single Blade Style - +2 dodge to AC
Circle Student - get +1 to AC and attack against the "target" of your Dodge feat (-2 AC against all other creatures)
Circle Master - you get benefits of Circle Student feat against all the foes you're threaten (still got -2 AC against creatures you aren't threaten)
Fencer's Insight - +1 insight to AC
"Parry line":
Parry - 1/round, spend AoO in attempt to negate melee attack; enemy's weapon should be no more than 2 size categories larger; light weapon gets +4 bonus; provokes Disarm attempt
Improved Parry - you may use Parry up to your Dex bonus
Expert Parry - use of Parry isn't limited one-per-creature-per-round
Guarded Defense - Parry attempt doesn't provokes Disarm
Incredible Parry - You may parry an attack from a wepon up to three size categories larger than one you wield; can be taken multiple times - character who had taken this feat three time could parry Gargantuan weapon with a dagger

Magic Weapon Special Abilities
Fierce (Arms and Equipment Guide) - allow to "rearrange" some of your Dex bonus from AC to damage rolls; Market Price - +2 bonus

Those are some really cool feats... I was wondering, if having all the parrying feats, and Epic Combat Reflexes, whether one could make unlimited parrys per round?