PDA

View Full Version : Books Which living author would you most like to see another book from?

2D8HP
2018-01-09, 10:43 AM
Among living authors which one would you most like to see another book?

....Susanna Clarke, the author of:

Jonathan Strange & Mr Norrell (https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jonathan_Strange_%26_Mr_Norrell)

and

The Ladies of Grace Adieu and Other Stories (https://www.amazon.com/Ladies-Grace-Adieu-Other-Stories/dp/1596913835).

Eldan
2018-01-09, 10:44 AM
Dammit, I was thinking the same thing as soon as I read the thread. Before even opening the spoiler. Most of my other favourite authors are writing steadily, but she just has one big book.

BWR
2018-01-09, 11:05 AM
I could go for her. As already pointed out, the other ones I know of that are alive and want to read more of are still writing.

JoshL
2018-01-09, 11:15 AM
I always get excited by new books from my favorites (Stephenson, de Lint, Barker, Rushdie, Murakami, etc) and many others who have sadly passed away, but of any living author, I thin I really want a sequel to Diane Duane's Omnitopia Dawn. Fairly light sci-fi, set in an MMO and got REALLY interesting at the end. It was supposed to be the first in a series, but that was 2010, and no book 2 on the horizon. I really want to see where the story goes!

Also, Bryan Fuller was supposed to do a comic book series finishing up Pushing Daisies. So far, nothing.

KillingAScarab
2018-01-09, 11:15 AM
I would very much like another history/autobiography by Sarah Vowell. I know she must be somewhat busy with that Incredibles sequel, but... let's just leave it at I wouldn't have gotten through at least one administration without The Wordy Shipmates.

Otomodachi
2018-01-09, 05:11 PM
Obligatory George R.R. Martin reply.

Cespenar
2018-01-10, 04:09 AM
Also obligatory Patrick Rothfuss reply.

Eldan
2018-01-10, 06:17 AM
Also obligatory Patrick Rothfuss reply.

Eh. As far as I'm concerned, he wrote two excellent books, one of which doesn't quite hold up as well on a re-read and one mediocre one that was in bad need of some editing. Though I'd like to see the story finish sometime.

danzibr
2018-01-10, 06:33 AM
Obligatory George R.R. Martin reply.
Beat me to it.,

Cespenar
2018-01-10, 07:49 AM
Eh. As far as I'm concerned, he wrote two excellent books, one of which doesn't quite hold up as well on a re-read and one mediocre one that was in bad need of some editing. Though I'd like to see the story finish sometime.

That's good enough for me.

Aedilred
2018-01-10, 02:35 PM
Hilary Mantel - but as with GRRM and Rothfuss above, that's less "I really like her writing and want to read more from her" and more "I want her to publish the final instalment of the trilogy that I've been waiting for".

Susanna Clarke is a good call. Maybe Patrick Süskind. Donna Tartt, perhaps? But The Goldfinch was a bit of a disappointment. Joshua Ferris, Karen Joy Fowler? I'd like another good novel from Ben Elton, but he's been off form for about fifteen years.

This thread has made me realise that most of my favourite authors are dead.

JeenLeen
2018-01-10, 02:38 PM
Although the latest books had gotten a bit weird, I'd like to see the end of Orson Scott Card's Alvin Maker series.

At least, to my knowledge he never finished it. I haven't followed his publications as closely the past few years as I used to.

warty goblin
2018-01-10, 02:47 PM
I definitely want a new GRRM novel, or, even better, a new collection of sci-fi short stories. I love his old stuff from the eighties, it's just so perfectly and beautifully bleak and existentially horrifying.

chainer1216
2018-01-10, 10:44 PM
Jim Butcher, luckily its likely to happen this year.

thorr-kan
2018-01-11, 12:44 AM
Jim Butcher, luckily its likely to happen this year.
Amen, brother.

I want one more Vorkosigan novel and two more Five Gods novels out of Lois McMaster Bujold.

And I want more Glen Cook (and in September, I shall! New Black Company, HO!).

Douglas
2018-01-11, 01:48 AM
I want one more Vorkosigan novel and two more Five Gods novels out of Lois McMaster Bujold.
I want another Vorkosigan novel that's, well, a Vorkosigan novel. I was a bit disappointed by the "Miles's mother develops a new romantic relationship" plot, I want to see Miles throwing all of his resources and improvisational ingenuity at a serious problem that truly requires it.

Also I want more Brandon Sanderson books, but he's not exactly slow about producing more of them.

dps
2018-01-11, 12:06 PM
Glen Cook. There are supposedly 2 more Black Company books coming. I'm interested to see what he does with them; it seemed like the Black Company's story was pretty well wrapped up.

thorr-kan
2018-01-11, 12:30 PM
Glen Cook. There are supposedly 2 more Black Company books coming. I'm interested to see what he does with them; it seemed like the Black Company's story was pretty well wrapped up.
A Pitiless Rain is still vaporware.

But Port of Shadows, set between The Black Company and Shadows Linger, 25 September 2018! Available for preorder on Amazon.

thorr-kan
2018-01-11, 12:34 PM
I want another Vorkosigan novel that's, well, a Vorkosigan novel. I was a bit disappointed by the "Miles's mother develops a new romantic relationship" plot, I want to see Miles throwing all of his resources and improvisational ingenuity at a serious problem that truly requires it.
You will note, it's the Vorkosigan Series, not the Miles Vorkosigan series.

I will laid a solid wager that Gentleman Jolie and the Red Queen is the last Vorkosigan book. We started this rollercoaster with Cordelia falling in love and we end this rollercoaster with Cordelia falling in love. Bookends.

Too bad. I was hoping for General Piotr during the Cetagandan Occupation novel, myself.

On the other hand, Herself stated on more than one occasion that she couldn't see herself writing an Ivan book either. Then we go Captain Vorpatril's Alliance, and I for one am grateful.

So you never know.

lord_khaine
2018-01-11, 12:57 PM
Brandon Sanderson. Thankfully this is a pretty safe wish :P

Leewei
2018-01-11, 03:15 PM
Another Laundry title from Charles Stross is always appreciated.

Rothfuss was already mentioned, but I'll add my name anyway.

GRRM is a fine author. It may get me mobbed by his GoT fans, but I'd really love to see more Tuff chronicles from him.

Sir Terry Pratchett and Iain M. Banks are sorely missed!

Peelee
2018-01-11, 03:17 PM
My favorite author, of course, Timothy Zahn. And, oh, look at that, theres one coming out in a few months.:smallcool:

Clertar
2018-01-13, 04:42 AM
It was a pleasant surprise to get another Kundera book a couple of years ago. He's still alive, although really old, but one can dream :smallbiggrin:

thorr-kan
2018-01-18, 10:04 AM
"pre-CIOUS!"

Soon; it's coming.

Back to Cook; I want another Garrett, PI novel too. What happened next!?

Back to Bujold; while I would *love* another Vorkosigan novel, especially a Young Piotr novel, I would also love move 5 Gods novels. We have three; we need two more to complete the set. The Penric novellas are wonderful, but they're *too short.*

GloatingSwine
2018-01-18, 10:57 AM

Next one is out this year.

He's just released a new book like last week. (Not Laundry Files, Dark State)

Anonymouswizard
2018-01-18, 11:16 AM
More Peter F. Hamilton Space Opera would be welcome, I've been working through the Void Trilogy and I'd love to read something from him without so much fantasy (I love the books during the Space Opera bits, but the fantasy sections drag). Thankfully it looks like there will be a new one in September, so I have until then to slog through this trilogy.

thorr-kan
2018-01-29, 08:09 PM
New Dresden Files! Brief Cases, another anthology, June 5th, 2018.

No ETA on Peace Talks, yet, but new Dresden is new Dresden.

Artemis97
2018-01-29, 08:22 PM
GRRM of course. Wouldn't mind another book from Susanna Clarke either. Rumor was she was going to write something from the perspective of Childemass. Jim Butcher I'll take anything from. But I am really looking forward to a continuation of The Aeronaut's Windlass. I want another gentleman avatars book from Scott Lynch too.

Rodin
2018-01-29, 09:13 PM
I was going to say Janet Kagan, but looking at her Wikipedia entry she died ~10 years ago. Shame. Both Mirabile and Hellspark were fantastic, and I would have loved to see more from her. Sci-fi novels without ravening hordes of aliens or dark and gritty space wars, just imaginative stories set on distant worlds.

DomaDoma
2018-01-30, 07:01 AM
Michael Flynn. Shipwrecks of Time. In which he promises to be at his most Tom Wolfe-y while also involving time travel, and which has been a WIP for at least five years. Get on it, dude!