PDA

View Full Version : D&D 5e/Next Multi-subclassing solution

clash
2018-01-09, 03:12 PM
Multi-subclassing has come up quite a bit on the forum so I ahve started work on a solution to the problem that my own players can enjoy. I call ti alternate base classes. Basically the idea is that a member of a class can multiclass into the alternate base class to receive the benefits of another subclass at the appropriate levels. Alternate base classes only go to level 10, as anything above that uses the normal base class progression. I have started with Rogue, fighter, and wizard. Please let me know if these look balanced or broken. thanks!

Rogue alt base:
1: Expertise, Sneak Attack progression
2: Quick Wit
3: Roguish Archetype
4: ASI
5: Defensive Roll
6: Expertise
7: Trap Sense
8: ASI
9: Rougish Archetype
10: ASI

Added Abilities
Sneak attack progression
Levels in this class count as rogue levels when determining the bonus of your sneak attack ability

Quick wit
You may add your int modifier to initiative checks.

Defensive Roll
When you use uncanny dodge, if the reduced damage would still reduce you to 0hp you may drop to 1hp instead.

Trap Sense
You have advantage, on investigation checks made to find traps and advantage on saving throws against the effects of traps.

1: Additional Fighting Style, Second Wind progression
2: Conditioning
3: Archetype
5: Deadly Strikes
6: ASI
7: Archetype Feature
9:
10: Archetype

New Abilities
Second Wind Progression
Levels in this class count as fighter levels for the purpose of second wind

Conditioning
You gain proficiency in strength(athletics) or dexterity(acrobatics). If you are already proficient you may instead add twice your proficiency bonus.

Deadly Strikes
Whenever you hit a creature with a weapon attack you can add 1d8 to the damage dealt.

Wizard alt base(Not much going on here)
1: Spellcasting Progression, Arcane Recovery Progression
2: Arcane Tradition
3:
5:
6: Arcane Tradition
7:
9:
10: Arcane Tradition

New Abilities
Spellcasting Progression
Levels in this class count as wizard levels for spells known, spell slots, and cantrips known.

Arcane Recovery Progression
Levels in this class count as wizard when determining the slots returned by arcane recovery.

Durazno
2018-01-10, 01:14 PM
You might consider putting an extra attack at level 9 on the fighter substitution, since it would be impossible to go over four attacks, and if they take that last level they'll make it up to character level 20 with only two attacks.

...though I suppose that since the fourth attack is the Fighter's capstone, you might not want it to be possible to reach. Pushing it to 10 would take care of that, but would make 10 SO good, so... maybe not.

clash
2018-01-10, 01:52 PM
Oh ya, I meant to replace Indomitable at level 9. I will have to come up with an ability for that. I didnt want to give an additional extra attack as that is a high level ability and the tradeoff here is losing high level abilities to gain more of the low level ones from you class. That said I had considered having the fighter levels stack for extra attack. Not too sure on it. Getting the 4th extra attack at level 9 seems reasonable though as spellcasters still get 9th level spells. I will add that.