PDA

View Full Version : An interesting comparison

mockingbyrd7
2007-08-23, 05:01 PM
For each of the six stats, there are 3 members of the OotS who have high ranks in that stat and 3 who do not.

The Strong
Roy
Durkon
Belkar

The Weak
Elan
Haley
V
----------------
The Nimble
Elan
Haley
Belkar

The Slow
Roy
Durkon
V
---------------
The Hardy
Roy
Durkon
Belkar

The Frail
Elan
Haley
V
---------------
The Intelligent
Roy
V
Haley

The Unedumicated
Elan
Durkon
Belkar
--------------
The Wise
Roy
Durkon
V

The Foolish
Elan
Haley
Belkar
--------------
The Charming
Elan
Haley
Roy

The Unappealing
Durkon
V
Belkar
--------------
Good Stats:
:roy: 5/6
:elan: 2/6
:haley: 3/6
:belkar: 3/6
:vaarsuvius: 2/6
:durkon: 3/6

It would seem that Roy overall has the best stats.

O.T.R
2007-08-23, 05:04 PM
It would seem that Roy overall has the best stats.

Not if you had a 'self-preservation' stat.

Interesting job, but why an unedumicated Durkon?

mockingbyrd7
2007-08-23, 05:06 PM
Not if you had a 'self-preservation' stat.

Interesting job, but why an unedumicated Durkon?

Strip 34 - he doesn't have much of a head for numbers, doesn't use very good grammar (although this might be partially because of his accent) and generally hasn't struck me as very intelligent. Granted, not as unintelligent as Elan, and very VERY wise, but not the sharpest spike in the pit trap either.

Spiryt
2007-08-23, 05:11 PM
Well, it has some flaws:

Durkon never shown great strenght. Maybe a little above average.

Haley never appealed "frail". Elan and V probaly, but she has greater Con than most OotS according to Giant. Check Class and Level Geekery.

Dunno what means "Unedumicated", but if it means "unintelligent", then I can't see why Durkon and Belkar are low on Int.

It's too black and white in my opinion - many stats as, as always just average, not essentialy genius or fool.

mockingbyrd7
2007-08-23, 05:18 PM
Well, it has some flaws:

Durkon never shown great strenght. Maybe a little above average.

Haley never appealed "frail". Elan and V probaly, but she has greater Con than most OotS according to Giant. Check Class and Level Geekery.

Dunno what means "Unedumicated", but if it means "unintelligent", then I can't see why Durkon and Belkar are low on Int.

It's too black and white in my opinion - many stats as, as always just average, not essentialy genius or fool.

Durkon hits pretty hard, from what we've seen, and he "would be a pretty good warrior if he had a better head for numbers", according to Roy.

My bad on Haley. I needed a third person for the low constitution section and since we know she has low strength, it seemed logical.

"Unedumicated" is a play on "uneducated" since some uneducated people wouldn't know how to spell or pronounce uneducated.
For Durkon, look at my above post. I don't think he's stupid, I just don't think he's super bright either. (High wisdom doesn't necessarily mean high intelligence.) Also, Belkar said "I never studied nothing" and hasn't ever shown a super high intelligence. I've always figured he was average.

I tend to agree that it is a bit too black and white, but I just thought it was a cool comparison.

VanBuren
2007-08-23, 05:26 PM
Where was it shown that V had a high WIS score? I'd always imagined hir to have high INT/low WIS.

mockingbyrd7
2007-08-23, 05:32 PM
Where was it shown that V had a high WIS score? I'd always imagined hir to have high INT/low WIS.

Where was it shown that V had a low WIS? I sort of took strip 76 as an implication of high wisdom. Also, it simply seems that V is more responsible and level-headed than most of the others. Certainly more so than Elan, Belkar, or Haley.

Edit: Ooh! Bard chain! Three posts in a row, all with the bard guy avatar! Nice! Keep posting, bards!

Pironious
2007-08-23, 05:43 PM
Where was it shown that V had a low WIS? I sort of took strip 76 as an implication of high wisdom. Also, it simply seems that V is more responsible and level-headed than most of the others. Certainly more so than Elan, Belkar, or Haley.

Edit: Ooh! Bard chain! Three posts in a row, all with the bard guy avatar! Nice! Keep posting, bards!

Strip 76? o.0 (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0076.html)

Uh.. which strip did you really mean?

mockingbyrd7
2007-08-23, 05:46 PM
Strip 76? o.0 (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0076.html)

Uh.. which strip did you really mean?

Strip 75, sorry. http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0075.html :smallredface:

VanBuren
2007-08-23, 07:27 PM
Not really conclusive evidence though, it's kinda shaky at best.

Tirian
2007-08-23, 08:22 PM
We're never going to see the character sheets for the OOTS, and it seems like fudging the data to fit your conclusions. I think that the characters generally have average stats when we don't know what they are.

And some of them seem to defy facts. Haley is weak? She's strong enough to carry a sack overfilled filled with gold coins without being winded (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0243.html). Repeatedly drawing a longbow this rapidly (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0470.html)? She's not muscleBOUND, for sure, but seems to me that she's closer to a bonus than a penalty in the strength department.

To be sure, they are a well-balanced party, but this is true of any party that has two fighters, a mage, a cleric, a rogue, and a bard.

Impikmin
2007-08-23, 10:19 PM
For each of the six stats, there are 3 members of the OotS who have high ranks in that stat and 3 who do not.

The Strong
Roy
Durkon
Belkar

The Weak
Elan
Haley
V

Uh, guys. He can only put 3 in each category. And I'm sure you're not going to say Haley is stronger than Belkar, Durkon, or Roy are you? Good. Then there should be no more "Haley is in the wrong place" complaints.:smallsmile:

Tirian
2007-08-23, 10:42 PM
Uh, guys. He can only put 3 in each category. And I'm sure you're not going to say Haley is stronger than Belkar, Durkon, or Roy are you? Good. Then there should be no more "Haley is in the wrong place" complaints.:smallsmile:

If all he is saying is that three of the six characters are stronger than the other three, then that's kind of mathematically obvious. If he is saying that, when you dispassionately sort them, lo and behold there are three in each category, then he's got to be prepared to defend his choices.

But, if you're going to bring it up, I don't know if Belkar is stronger than Haley or if he just has very very sharp weapons. One of them doesn't seem to be carrying Roy's corpse more than the other. If I had to guess, I think they're both in the 13-14 range.

mockingbyrd7
2007-08-23, 10:55 PM

Thanks for the backup. Also, Haley "doesn't even carry a melee weapon", which sort of implies that she isn't particularly strong.

mockingbyrd7
2007-08-23, 11:05 PM
If all he is saying is that three of the six characters are stronger than the other three, then that's kind of mathematically obvious. If he is saying that, when you dispassionately sort them, lo and behold there are three in each category, then he's got to be prepared to defend his choices.

But, if you're going to bring it up, I don't know if Belkar is stronger than Haley or if he just has very very sharp weapons. One of them doesn't seem to be carrying Roy's corpse more than the other. If I had to guess, I think they're both in the 13-14 range.

If we're going by the Class and Level Geekery, Belkar has at least 13 strength for improved sunder, and considering he's using DAGGERS that do 1d3 damage, I'd be very surprised if he didn't have at least 16 strength considering how much carnage he causes. Also, Roy has put up with him sometimes only because he's a valuable front-line fighter. That implies he hits pretty hard, even as a halfling with daggers.