PDA

View Full Version : D&D 5e/Next Pathfinder Alchemist 5e Conversion

zerome1221
2018-01-09, 04:41 PM
So it took quite a bit of time and effort but I think I did a decent job converting the Alchemist class from Pathfinder to Dungeons and Dragons 5th Edition. I believe it is ready to be picked apart and critiqued. There is a fair amount of copy/paste with a LOT of editing to make things fit for 5e. I think I caught and replaced all Pathfinder terminology with 5e terms instead but if you notice something that can be made more clear, or should be reworded to fit 5e better, please let me know.

Link to the Google Docs file I used - Alchemist (5e Conversion) (https://docs.google.com/document/d/1b7QXVbHL3qheIKELJbqGl_uDr2cNPpWQMSElxM7IFew/edit?usp=sharing)

Some major changes I did that people may notice right away. I changed all of the Craft(Alchemy) skill checks from Pathfinder to Alchemist's Supplies tool check instead. This is an Intelligence based check with proficiency or expertise.

I lowered the number of spell slots per long rest from 5/5/5/5/5/5 + int modifier bonuses to spell slots. To more resemble the rangers spell progression. Ending result, 4/4/4/4/4/2.

Mutagens and Cognatogens had to be weakened quite a bit. Using the numbers from the original would throw AC into the crazy high numbers. All AC bonuses have been lowered to +1/+2/+3 for each discovery you grab that increases the strength of mutagens. I also lowered the stat bonuses a bit and removed the physical stat damage dealt by cognatogens. I still feel like they are a bit too powerful though, so if anyone has suggestions please share. I had another idea for it that I will consider more.

I lowered the number of bombs per day from Alchemist level + int mod / day to instead be HALF alchemist level(rounded up) + int mod /day.

I kept the splash damage mechanics for bombs from Pathfinder. I feel like the splash damage isn't too high while also not forcing the DM to make multiple saving throws each time a bomb is thrown.

I recreated some but not all of the alchemist specific spells that were in Pathfinder.

There are quite a few discoveries that I left out, 68 listed in the document instead of the 122 non-third party ones. Many of these feel a bit unbalanced in their usage. The poison touch Grand Discovery I basically had to create myself since poison mechanics from pathfinder are 100% different. I tried to dumb down poisons to be just poison damage and various status effects.

I would like to balance this a bit more before play testing it with some friends in a new game I will be DMing soon. Thank you in advance for any constructive suggestions or critiques. :smallsmile:

nmitchell2
2018-06-07, 07:56 AM
I'm very impressed for the most part, though I have only done a quick skim read. Excellent work!

One simple change I might make is extract progression. Personally I would have it be identical to Paladin or Ranger spell progression, keeping the current method of preparing and using extracts and the current number of extracts prepared per day. While I agree that the Alchemist is meant to be more magical than the Paladin or Ranger, he should be more invested in Int than either the Paladin or Ranger in Cha or Wis respectively and can therefore prepare more extracts.

Also, if the Alchemist can learn from the Wizards spellbook, the Wizard should be able to learn from the Alchemists formula book. It's both or neither in my opinion.