PDA

View Full Version : Harry Potter Year 7- The discussion Thread

dragon_masterd
2007-08-23, 05:17 PM
Just post your thoughts here. and spoiler them, We don't want to poil it for anybody.

Volug
2007-08-23, 05:22 PM
well i cant really tell if a book is good or not, it did keep me occupied for a couple days though. I thought that most of the stuff was kinda "at the last second" as the book basically threw all this stuff at you that didnt matter in the other books.

Ending was a bit stupid though. i expected a Sephiroth vs. Cloud like thing.
i mean 1 FREAKING CURSE!!!! that was it! done nothing more..... harry dies, brought back to life for a stupid thing that i forgot about. Then kill voldy moldy with 1 SPELL!!!!!!!! or 2 if you count voldy's.

RAGE KING!
2007-08-23, 05:47 PM
there is a media discussions board for this.

dragon_masterd
2007-08-23, 05:48 PM
........oh. Well then, lets move it!...How do we do that?

ForzaFiori
2007-08-23, 06:09 PM
........oh. Well then, lets move it!...How do we do that?

why move it?
there have been several of these threads.

Ichneumon
2007-08-24, 01:42 AM
There really was too much to expect in the 7th book: Wormtails thingy, epic battle between Voldemort and Harry and other stuff.

None of these things really happened and that made me sad, the ending sucked.

Hermit
2007-08-24, 03:43 AM
The number of plotthreads that needed tying up did mean a lot of it felt rushed. I was surprised the book was nowhere near as thick as OotP, as there was so much to cover.

I agree the duel at the end needed to be better, and I'm still unsure whether I like the whole "Meanwhile, 19 years later" at the end. I get that the point was to show the main characters lived happily ever after, but I'm fairly certain that could've been worked out anyway. Felt more like she needed to put something at the end which prevented more books, and came up with that.

That said, it was still entertaining, and a good ending to the series.

Kaelaroth
2007-08-24, 03:57 AM
I think Harry Potter was brilliant. Not as good as everyone goes on about, but a novel and interesting idea, with intelligent and well made plot hooks and characters.

She's writing a crime novel now {apparently}

Om
2007-08-24, 05:55 AM
Haven't we one of these already? Anyways, the book was almost uniformly bad but was still an improvement on the previous effort.

Kaelaroth
2007-08-24, 09:19 AM
Haven't we one of these already? Anyways, the book was almost uniformly bad but was still an improvement on the previous effort.

*cries* :eek:

tr5
2007-08-24, 10:55 AM
It seemed like in the previous books she had been rambling a bit, but i thought she managed to tie it all together. My biggest complaint is the middle of the book, a lot of it seemed to be filler.

Nevermind
2007-08-24, 11:11 AM
Hedwig died...

Zeta Kai
2007-08-24, 11:25 AM
...So does Lord Voldemort :smallamused:, Bellatrix Lastrange :smallbiggrin:, Fred Weasley :smalleek:, Mad Eye Moody :smallfrown:, Severus Snape :smallfurious:, Professor Burbage :smallconfused:, Vincent Crabbe :smalltongue: & Colin Creevey :smallannoyed:, although not in that order.

Kudos to J.K.Rowling for having the guts to really kill off her characters with style & aplomb. Though I do wish the climactic duel had lasted longer.

Skippy
2007-08-24, 11:27 AM
Expelliarmus to kill Voldemort?? That was the lamest thing ever... I enjoyed most of the book, but I thought she'd find a way to make the Final Battle a bit cooler...

Greebo
2007-08-24, 11:58 AM
Expelliarmus to kill Voldemort?? That was the lamest thing ever... I enjoyed most of the book, but I thought she'd find a way to make the Final Battle a bit cooler...

Expelliarmus didn't kill Voldemort. Voldemort killed himself with the AK spell, cast by a wand that was allied with Harry. When the magic from that wand encountered magic from its master (Expelliarmus), the wand wouldn't kill Harry, so the spell bounced back onto V.

Harry could have cast anything from Wingardium leviosa to Confringo and it wouldn't have mattered.

Skippy
2007-08-24, 12:02 PM
Either way, it was too short and a bit lame... I wanted a bit more of real confrontation, not just a single spell...

Hermit
2007-08-24, 02:01 PM
...So does Lord Voldemort :smallamused:, Bellatrix Lastrange :smallbiggrin:, Fred Weasley :smalleek:, Mad Eye Moody :smallfrown:, Severus Snape :smallfurious:, Professor Burbage :smallconfused:, Vincent Crabbe :smalltongue: & Colin Creevey :smallannoyed:, although not in that order.

Kudos to J.K.Rowling for having the guts to really kill off her characters with style & aplomb. Though I do wish the climactic duel had lasted longer.

You also missed Lupin and Tonks off your list, as well as both Tonks' parents. All in offscreen deaths too, just to add insult to injury :p. Oh, and Dobby, but that wasn't neccesarily a bad thing. It's the vague equivalent of killing Jar-Jar really.

emperor_mai
2007-08-24, 04:02 PM
Worst. Book. Ever.

Number five was by far the best. Number seven was just getting every thing out of the way. And Ginny should've died. that would've been cool. Why couldn't JK Rowling just strectch the series over a couple more books rather than cram all in one...

Plus the magic of being at hogwarts was missing.

Dhavaer
2007-08-24, 07:32 PM
You also missed Lupin and Tonks off your list, as well as both Tonks' parents. All in offscreen deaths too, just to add insult to injury :p. Oh, and Dobby, but that wasn't neccesarily a bad thing. It's the vague equivalent of killing Jar-Jar really.

Tonk's mother is still alive.

Hermit
2007-08-25, 03:57 AM
Tonk's mother is still alive.

Really? Hmm, not sure where I got that idea from. Still, one death is neither here nor there really, especially among the 50+ unnamed dead people at the end :p

Seraph
2007-08-25, 11:07 AM

aren't you a hardcore young man.