PDA

View Full Version : Optimization Cloistered Cleric/Monk Build

zodian
2018-01-09, 06:16 PM
Hey,

I'm playing a cloistered cleric (asimar), and was thinking of dipping into monk; mainly for the Wis boost to AC. Cloistered clerics are only proficient with light armor, so I thought going monk might be a good work around, not having access to good armor.

Ability scores are: STR:8 CON:10 DEX:14 INT:14 WIS:18 CHA:16
Domains: Knowledge, Force, Trickery

Wondering what people thoughts are on making a strong cleric/monk build, optimizing for up to level 12; perhaps Cleric 11/Monk 1 or something... or perhaps what other options could improve the cloistered cleric class?

Thanks

Nifft
2018-01-09, 06:19 PM
Recommendation: buy a Monk's Belt instead of paying a level.

Other Recommendation: take two levels of Swordsage and then go into Ruby Knight Vindicator. It'll cost you two feats, but they're not bad feats.

Troacctid
2018-01-09, 07:12 PM
Or just cast Luminous Armor, which is available as a spontaneous spell to every Good-aligned Cleric with access to Book of Exalted Deeds.

emeraldstreak
2018-01-09, 07:39 PM
Light armor is good enough armor.

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2018-01-09, 11:39 PM
I'm going to agree that a Monk's Belt (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicItems/wondrousItems.htm#beltMonks) (DMG, 13,000 gp) is the way to go. That gets you the AC bonus of a 5th level Monk, which definitely includes adding your Wis bonus to your AC. You can also cast Luminous Armor with that and you'll probably have the best AC in the party.

Nifft
2018-01-10, 12:44 AM
Ability scores are: STR:8 CON:10 DEX:14 INT:14 WIS:18 CHA:16
Domains: Knowledge, Force, Trickery

Suggestions for Stats:

- If you're using point-buy, consider Con 14 / Int 14 / Cha 14 instead of Con 10 / Int 14 / Cha 16.

- Otherwise, I strongly recommend swapping Con <-> Int -- Con is very important for remaining alive, and you've got a lot of skill points even with just 10 Int.

Domain suggestions:

- What does the Force domain do for you? Luminous Armor is better than Mage Armor (and you get it without expending a domain). The other spells are okay, but you get some of them a level late, and you can't spam them.

- Trickery domain is great, but you could spend all your skill points (even with Human and +2 Int) on Knowledge skills and basic caster skills (Concentration and Spellcraft).

- You could sell off a Domain for a Devotion feat. Off the top of my head, Water Devotion is pretty good for early levels, and Air Devotion can keep you from getting hit. Travel Devotion is much-beloved by people who abuse full-round casting or full-attacks, or who just want to always have the option to move at double speed when they need it.

- On the subject of the Travel Domain, it can be amazing for a character who plans to take a significant number of Cleric levels. Since a Cloistered Cleric gets such good skill points every level, it's quite reasonable for you to take a lot of Cleric levels. Free-action freedom of movement can be absurdly good; it's one of the best "No" buttons in the game.

Telonius
2018-01-10, 01:43 AM
Cloistered Cleric is pretty strong as-is, and any caster levels you lose are going to detract from your overall power.

Looking at the stats, you're going to have 1/2 BAB and a strength penalty. That's going to make it tough for you to hit anything. How much of a goody two-shoes is your Cleric? Intuitive Attack from Book of Exalted Deeds (or Zen Archery from Complete Warrior, if you're going ranged and don't want to worry about alignment).

skunk3
2018-01-10, 03:18 AM
The Monk's belt doesn't work if you wear any kind of armor or shield though right? I guess that'd be fine if you planned on wearing a robe but if you planned on wearing light armor the Monk's belt wouldn't work.

noob
2018-01-10, 03:29 AM
The Monk's belt doesn't work if you wear any kind of armor or shield though right? I guess that'd be fine if you planned on wearing a robe but if you planned on wearing light armor the Monk's belt wouldn't work.

if you wear armor or shield monk levels does not gives you armor either.

weckar
2018-01-10, 05:21 AM
Cloistered Cleric is pretty strong as-is, and any caster levels you lose are going to detract from your overall power. That makes this a good thing, right? Higher power characters reigning themselves in like that?

Telonius
2018-01-10, 09:16 AM
That makes this a good thing, right? Higher power characters reigning themselves in like that?

That depends on the skill of the player and the general optimization level of the table. From the question it doesn't sound like the OP is putting together a Clericzilla, and he's already at +1 LA from Aasimar.