PDA

View Full Version : Spells per Round Question

ColdFire
2007-08-23, 05:34 PM
I've noticed several references in the D&D 3.5 core books to exceptions to "the normal limit of one spell per round" or similar, but I've never been able to find where such a rule is actually stated. I may just be reading past it without realizing or some such.

Could someone toss me a reference? Also, has the advent of swift and immediate actions left this rule obsolete?

- ColdFire

Aximili
2007-08-23, 06:14 PM
Spells usually take a standard action.
You only get one standard action per round.
Thus, you usually can only cast 1 spell per round.

Orzel
2007-08-23, 06:21 PM
I don't belive there is a limit on spells per round. Spells cost actions and you only get so many of them a round. Most take a standard action, some swift, some free, some full rounds. Some forms of casting have limits.

Depending on your features and buffs, you get so many actions and can cast up to that many spells aper round.

KillianHawkeye
2007-08-23, 06:23 PM
I believe this is merely a reference to the limitation on number of actions you can take in a single round.

There are almost no spells in the PHB with a casting time of less than 1 standard action. (Feather fall is the only one that comes to mind.) Since swift and immediate actions were introduced later, casting a quickened spell is now a swift action, and I believe casting feather fall is an immediate action. You can no longer cast any spells as a free action. Therefore, you are permitted the casting of at most 2 spells per round, using either a standard or full-round action and a swift or immediate action. (Note that using an immediate action on your turn is the same as using your swift action for that turn.)

Also, you can cast any spell whose casting time is normally a swift or immediate action in addition to another spell cast normally, regardless of whether or not you have the Quicken Spell feat.