PDA

View Full Version : Building Storm (from the x-men)

Buddy76
2018-01-09, 09:27 PM
As the title says, my idea is to play a "weather witch" character, who's able to use weather themed abilities a lot of times a day. My favored build so far is: Female Human Bard 1/ Druid 4/ Stormsinger 10 (progressing druidic casting)/ Green Whisperer 5

Before I settle for this build, I wanted to see if the playground could come up with something cooler. It was also my intention for this character to have at will wingless flight and something like the Stormlord's Storm Walk ability, but I ended up trading those for the current build, due to the sheer amount of weather effects it can generate daily, but bonus points if your build includes one or both of those abilities.

All first party books and dragon magazine avaliable, but no pathfinder.

Thanks!

PrismCat21
2018-01-09, 09:53 PM
I was going suggest Stormlord...
Since you're not going that route, Raiment of the Stormwalker in the MIC would work for you
The Stormbolt reserve feat also gives you an At-will ranged touch attack dealing electricity damage.

daremetoidareyo
2018-01-09, 10:35 PM
One of the regular posters here has a character build based on the gust of wind dragonmark. Darrin, maybe?

Darrin
2018-01-10, 08:31 AM
One of the regular posters here has a character build based on the gust of wind dragonmark. Darrin, maybe?

Not one of mine. I think you mean the Mark of Storms? For control weather? For those moments when the village or castle just doesn't quite have enough *flatness* as you think it should?

Red Fel did a thread on building around the Mark of Storms (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?363006-Building-a-Tempest), but I don't think it resulted in a specific build.

Hmm. Storm Sentry is the PrC that upgrades gust of wind.

T.G. Oskar's Halavin d'Lyrander (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showsinglepost.php?p=10609686&postcount=107), maybe?

weckar
2018-01-10, 08:44 AM
Storm Domain Wizard into Eldritch Theurge? Pick up at-will flight, use them gloves/gauntlets to get electric blasts...

ShurikVch
2018-01-10, 09:51 AM
Dragon #328 introduced the Storm Druid variant; it don't have Animal Companion or Wild Shape, but allow to spontaneously convert prepared spells into "storm spells" (from the list), and got some thematic CFs such as immunity to deafness and resistance to electricity
Thus, Storm Druid, Storm Bolt [reserve] feat, Conductivity (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/buildingCharacters/spelltouchedFeats.htm#conductivity) (?), at 10th level - dip into Contemplative for Windstorm domain (Spell Compendium)

daremetoidareyo
2018-01-10, 10:27 AM
Sorry darrin, all of the posters that I respect here share a brain wrinkle or something.

I think if you put that mark of storms onto a one-handed-swordfighting chassis with some sleight of hand and knowledge (war), add a mohawk and you got a decent representation of Storm. Storm was a street urchin trained to rob folks and when she lost her powers for like YEARS, she was still leader of the x-men because of her boss attitude, killer tactical gumption, and sweet sward skillz.

khadgar567
2018-01-10, 11:12 AM
Incanter from spheres of power grab weather and destructon sphere and you are kinda readyat level one

daremetoidareyo
2018-01-10, 11:18 AM
Incanter from spheres of power grab weather and destructon sphere and you are kinda readyat level one

I love the rules for the weather domain from Spears of power. I still have yet to have a DM give me the thumbs up on taking the creation domain and pairing it with the weather domain to Make It Rain stuff. I don't blame the DM for that, cuz it sounds like a character that can derail almost anything.

DM: the cliff is 200 ft vertical
me: I Make It Rain grappling hooks

or

DM: the starving villagers need you to go get their food stores back from the Orcs
me: I Make It Rain bread

ShurikVch
2018-01-10, 11:53 AM
Sorry darrin, all of the posters that I respect here share a brain wrinkle or something.

I think if you put that mark of storms onto a one-handed-swordfighting chassis with some sleight of hand and knowledge (war), add a mohawk and you got a decent representation of Storm. Storm was a street urchin trained to rob folks and when she lost her powers for like YEARS, she was still leader of the x-men because of her boss attitude, killer tactical gumption, and sweet sward skillz.If we will remembering the backstory there, then - which of Storm (http://marvel.wikia.com/wiki/Storm) we should use?

khadgar567
2018-01-10, 12:22 PM
I love the rules for the weather domain from Spears of power. I still have yet to have a DM give me the thumbs up on taking the creation domain and pairing it with the weather domain to Make It Rain stuff. I don't blame the DM for that, cuz it sounds like a character that can derail almost anything.

DM: the cliff is 200 ft vertical
me: I Make It Rain grappling hooks

or

DM: the starving villagers need you to go get their food stores back from the Orcs
me: I Make It Rain bread
i said destruction buddy not unlimited whatever works as second sphere and that would be OP as you can rain intensified bombs to every damn encounter every damn time

Buddy76
2018-01-11, 09:24 AM
Thanks to everyone who replied, you gave me some awesome ideas

Halavin is a really cool but I'm not looking for a melee character right now.

I will check out storm druid and might go bard 1/ storm druid 4/ stormsinger 10/ contemplative 1 (windstorm domain)/ green whisperer 4.

I had forgotten about stormbolt, but will definitely take it. Conductivity is really flavorful but I don't know if I have room to take it.

Raiment of the Stormwalker fits really well with my character and can generate lots of quests to find all the items in the set.

My table is not using spheres of power but I'll check it out one day, seeing as so many people recommend it.

Thanks again :)

ShurikVch
2018-01-11, 10:29 AM
If you so sure to include Stormsinger, and OK to use Dragon magazine, then note: #294 have Windsinger PrC - it doesn't progressing "usual" Bardic Music or spellcasting, but get at every level special naval-related magical songs - such as Bolser the Wind, Ocean Mist, and Control Weather (at capstone)

Also, check the Seeker of the Song PrC in Complete Arcane, class feature Seeker Music: Anthem of Thunder and Pain (and Anthem of Thunder and Pain, Refrain)

Velaryon
2018-01-11, 12:17 PM
I know this is more about mimicking Storm's powers than building the character of Ororo Munroe herself, but it seems to me that if you were doing that, her claustrophobia should definitely be counted as a flaw (though I don't use them myself so I have no idea whether that would fit in the existing flaws system or would require a tiny bit of homebrewing).

Buddy76
2018-01-11, 07:28 PM
ShurikVch I like the songs from Windsinger, but the lack of spellcasting progression would make the character's abilities too niche for me (no spellcasting, no full bab, not enough skill points, just those nautical songs). Same with seeker of the song, although to a lesser degree. Great findings, though :). If I were playing in a gestalt game I might take oneof those on the other side of the character.

Velaryon that's actually a great idea. I'm a little feat starved and claustrophobia is a very appropriate flaw. My character might not be an exact copy of Ororo, but, as a weather manipulator, it makes sense that she finds open skies reassuring and cramped spaces disturbing. I'll see if I can homebrew something with my GM