PDA

View Full Version : Monk buff? Ki= monk level+wis mod?

Arelai
2018-01-10, 03:10 AM
I feel like especially at low levels and when you’re new monk abilities that use Ki come up, you’re pretty limited in points. Especially because so many groups hate to short rest.

An extra 2-5 Ki would go a long way. Tied to your wis mod incentivizes not pumping dex either. Trade the extra damage from dex ASI’s for utility from Ki.

Thoughts?

JoyfulJester
2018-01-10, 03:48 AM
I agree! Now sell it to wizard. xD Monk has always been considered an underwhelming class in 5e.

Matticusrex
2018-01-10, 06:14 AM
a better fix is to change short rests.

Feuerphoenix
2018-01-10, 06:25 AM
a better fix is to change short rests.

Ehh...what is wrong about short rests?

Vaz
2018-01-10, 06:26 AM
Make them recover on a long rest only, and give them 3* the resources.

Ie a Monk 5 has 15 ki to spend. Monk 20 has 60. But only during one day.

BobZan
2018-01-10, 06:33 AM
Compare it with Battlemaster or Bard Inspiration.

By lv 3 you have 1 less use (even with bards), lv 4 even, lv5+ you have more uses/rest.

You earn same amounts as a Sorcerer get Sorcery points.

Just manage it.

Citan
2018-01-10, 06:41 AM
I feel like especially at low levels and when you’re new monk abilities that use Ki come up, you’re pretty limited in points. Especially because so many groups hate to short rest.

An extra 2-5 Ki would go a long way. Tied to your wis mod incentivizes not pumping dex either. Trade the extra damage from dex ASI’s for utility from Ki.

Thoughts?
No problem, it's probably the most common house-rule people make for Monks around here. :)

Although I don't think this would really solve your conundrum if the main problem for your Monk's players is getting chances to take a short rest.
If the party tends to really negate short rests in a day and you don't want to police it for some reason (although that would be my first advice as a DM: if only for using the short-rest hit dice restoration ability) another way to go could be to...
- Either give a once/day replenish of your Ki, as some feature ritual, that you get very early.
- Or convert short-rest pool into long-rest pool, aka Ki points per long rest = (Monk level)*3.
Beware that this last option will work well only if short rests are effectively absent from your games (which implies that there is no Warlock / Battlemaster / Bard either), and it will have the secondary effect of making Monk better at nova than all other martials in low levels.